Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              11       12       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

surreal612
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I meant to say another Nikon authorized repair facility. There is one by Illinois (United Camera) that I called before said that if the camera is under Nikon warranty then I do not have to pay out of pocket if they repair the camera.

All I am saying is some technicians are maybe just too lazy. They probably try to find the quickest reason not to do an extensive job by finding a little scratch here and there. It's less work for them. But there are some who are competent to do their work and just wanted to do the right thing.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM
lara_ckl
• •
p.4 #2 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

VetraLens wrote:
Nikon knows people will take the lumps of terrible customer service because they don't want to stop using the products they love.

Taking your customers for granted sounds like a great idea.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:00 PM
capt don
• • •
p.4 #3 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

As a life long photographer and over the years owner of just about every brand of camera made this is a real professional blunder by Nikon to pull a stunt like this and the others shown on this thread. In today's world with top quality equiptment getting more and more expensive one would think that companies like Nikon would actually cater to people willing to step up to the plate and spend their hard earned dollars and thousands of dollars at that. A great many people read threads like this and will use them to make their decision to purchase their next piece of equiptment or even change brands. Bad business on Nikon's part. This is not a $99 point and shoot piece of plastic, this is a professional camera. Looks like they just want to fatten the corporate wallet, hope it bites them in the butt.

Edited on Feb 27, 2013 at 11:39 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM
TSY87
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

wow, this is ridiculous. you should try to get some publicity about how crappy nikons CS is. photoblogs and magazines would be a good start.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM
domdog31
• • •
p.4 #5 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Didn't take the time to read through all 4 pages but this EXACT same scenario just happend to me, identical in fact.

Sent the D800E to Nikon Melleville on 1/25/13
1/27/13 Approved for warranty repair due to AF issues CAT B1 (MINOR PARTS REPLACED)
1/31/13 Re-Estimate for 3 days "Impact Damage" CAT B2 (MAJOR PARTS REPLACED)
2/4/13 $275 bill for a "loose mount" (bullS**T)
2/6/13 Called and Emailed all day until they finally approved to give me a "ONE TIME COURTESY" but suddenly back to CAT B1
2/7/13 Back in Shop
2/14/13 NO MOVE
2/15/13 Email from Sara B (Supervisor) said it would be done that week
2/22/13 STILL NO MOVEMENT
2/26/13 demand some response, Sara B told me that it would be done by end of day
2/27/13 Received camera back today with the following on the invoice

- Repair Front Body
- Adjust AF Operation
- Adjust Mirror angle
- Clean CCD
- General Check and Clean

Happy to report the AF is spot on but STILL it was a major pain dealing with that and taking over a month to get it back....

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM
mshi
• • • •
p.4 #6 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

domdog31 wrote:
Didn't take the time to read through all 4 pages but this EXACT same scenario just happend to me, identical in fact.

Sent the D800E to Nikon Melleville on 1/25/13
1/27/13 Approved for warranty repair due to AF issues CAT B1 (MINOR PARTS REPLACED)
1/31/13 Re-Estimate for 3 days "Impact Damage" CAT B2 (MAJOR PARTS REPLACED)
2/4/13 $275 bill for a "loose mount" (bullS**T)
2/6/13 Called and Emailed all day until they finally approved to give me a "ONE TIME COURTESY" but suddenly back to CAT B1
2/7/13 Back in Shop
2/14/13 NO MOVE
2/15/13 Email from Sara B (Supervisor) said it would be done that week
2/22/13
...Show more

The order must have come from their home office, since it was the home office made a decision to offer $200 rebate on D800. Now we gradually get the idea how the rebates work for Nikon by now.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:30 AM
katzung1
• • •
p.4 #7 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

After reading through this thread, , I sent a letter to Nikon USA saying that while I had been considering a switch from Canon to Nikon (true, the D800e looks great), I had seen this thread (giving the link) and decided to stick with Canon (also true). Hope it helps!
Bert

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:44 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.4 #8 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I don't think the second facility surreal612 is talking about is 3rd Party.
I had problems with El Segundo and Melville fixed them.

And, yes I believe there are a few bad workers in nearly every company.
I've had more than my share and there was little that I could do about them ruining my reputation.

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:14 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

katzung1 wrote:
After reading through this thread, , I sent a letter to Nikon USA saying that while I had been considering a switch from Canon to Nikon (true, the D800e looks great), I had seen this thread (giving the link) and decided to stick with Canon (also true). Hope it helps!
Bert

Nah, I don't think Nikon reads FM posts.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:31 AM
penghai
• • •
p.4 #10 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

It may not be Nikon's issue.

I have noticed the camera shops ship the lenses, cameras with less and less, or no padding, these days.

I ordered my 500 VR a year or two ago. The camera store just put the Nikon original package inside another much larger box with no padding. (They called this "double boxing"!) So when I received it, the Nikon box can slide inside the box up and down. Later I sent the lens in for AF adjustment and Nikon said it has "impact damage". But they still honored it and repair everything for free.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

lukeb
• • •
p.4 #11 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Are they setting themselves up for some type of class action?

Yep !

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:12 AM
bemyzeke
• •
p.4 #12 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

This thread (and many other like this) are making me question my continuing investment in Nikon.

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.4 #13 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

bemyzeke wrote:
This thread (and many other like this) are making me question my continuing investment in Nikon.

Sometime during the past two years my loyalty to Nikon has dropped to about zero. For the first time ever, I have begun to pay attention to new releases by Canon.

Kent in SD

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:48 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.4 #14 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I haven't read every post so forgive me if this has been answered. Is the Melville service center the only one in question?

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:54 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.4 #15 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Two23 wrote:
Sometime during the past two years my loyalty to Nikon has dropped to about zero. For the first time ever, I have begun to pay attention to new releases by Canon.

Kent in SD

This is the way I feel now and is one of the reasons I have not bought any of the new Nikon bodies.

I have a 300/4 (not even a year old yet) which now has a very load squeak and I'm afraid to send it in Nikon.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:59 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.4 #16 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Before switching, go to the Canon Forums.
They are having there own problems.

Actually nearly every manufacture is.
Very few people take pride in their work or are loyal employees these days.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:30 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.4 #17 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

davidnholtjr wrote:
This is the way I feel now and is one of the reasons I have not bought any of the new Nikon bodies.

I have a 300/4 (not even a year old yet) which now has a very load squeak and I'm afraid to send it in Nikon.

Send it to APS for authorized warranty work-less hassle and much faster.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:35 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.4 #18 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

rankamateur wrote:

So they will do warranty. Was not sure. I'll try them then. Thanks.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:48 PM
Ho1972
• • •
p.4 #19 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

rankamateur wrote:

Standard warranties only -- they won't touch the 5 year extended warranty on lenses.

And apparently neither will Nikon. Here's a quote from a thread discussing the same topic at dpreview:

After reading the recommendations on APS, I called them today to see if I could send the lens to them instead of Melville. I was told that APS is not authorized to perform extended warranty repairs and their suggestion was to return the lens to Melville.

I had a brief discussion with the guy at APS and he was aware of the “impact damage” position Nikon has taken with many of the returned lenses. He said that their (Nikon's?) technicians find evidence of impact damage in about 80% of the lenses they see for this problem.

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:03 PM
capt don
• • •
p.4 #20 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Wayne, anything new today on Nikon's decision? Forgot to add, i've never had a problem with Canon repair center, I scratched the sensor using a well known sensor cleaning system and they charged me a fair price $225 for a new sensor in my 5dII and I sent the bill to the sensor cleaning company and they paid me for it. I had the camera back with a new sensor within 5 days from sending it to them. They always treat me right which makes me want to continue buying their products.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:44 PM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password