FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              11      
       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

slacklaporte
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.12 #1 · p.12 #1 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Me and somes of my friends had experiences in the past with Nikon Canada (mtl) and they do not seem to accept that there have been a manufacturing errors possible. Impact damage is always the diagnogstic... Repairs are expensives

Mar 15, 2014 at 01:47 PM
m.sommers00
• • • •
p.12 #2 · p.12 #2 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

MikeW wrote:
saying that - I miss the D800e files/res but man, the liveview on the 5Diii is so much better that it makes up for it, knowing they'll one day have to release a MP monster to compete I feel that moving to Canon isn't so bad...even getting use to the controls which seem more sensible

I thought the nikon body was like a beauty queen with sleek lines & style while the canon looked like the ugly sister. Now I see that the canon is made to work, it is meant for business & ergonomics. But I've only just got
...Show more

Can you send me a PM, not to detract from the thread, comparing the D800 and the 5DM3? It's not my ideal choice but it's something that's on the table as a realistic option, or straight to the 1DX lol

Mar 15, 2014 at 02:21 PM
form
• • • •
p.12 #3 · p.12 #3 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

5d3's live view is faster and more responsive in every way with less blackout time, except the d800's live view focuses much faster.

D800's LCD IMO just doesn't make images very pretty, not like Canon LCDs do.

Focus speed/etc. similar dependent on lenses.

D800 shadows are infinitely better at ISO100, comparable around ISO800, and just lack dynamic range compared to 5d3 shadows past that. 5d3 has less amp glow at top ISOs, so no purple tint at ISO12800/25600 like the D800 has (except extreme bottom right corner on my 5d3).

The actual appearance of noise...D800 noise just looks more organic and less artificial no matter what.

IMO.

And now I go off to shoot a wedding with 5d3, d800 and a few 5d2s for backup/etc.

Mar 15, 2014 at 03:03 PM
anatole

p.12 #4 · p.12 #4 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

I'm an NPS member. I once sent a camera to Nikon wrapped in a bath towel, with no other padding, and shipped it UPS ground from the west coast all the way to Melville. Quick repair (mapped out a dead sensel) plus a firmware update, no charge. The camera came back wrapped in a cubic meter of plastic bubbles, but they kept my bath towel.

Oct 08, 2014 at 01:35 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.12 #5 · p.12 #5 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Necro post! Nice!

I might as well contribute.. I had a 24-70 that stopped focusing. Sent it in near the end of warranty - warranty voided, impact damage.

6 months later it had seen very VERY light use due to it being winter... Take it out, use it for 1 gig and it stops focusing again.

Send it in - impact damage.

IMPACT DAMAGE!

They also claimed impact damage on my old 85 1.4 AF-D when the mount had a slight communication issue.

Every repair is impact damage and over $400, I refuse to use Nikon service ever again.

Oct 08, 2014 at 05:02 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.12 #6 · p.12 #6 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

anatole wrote:
I'm an NPS member. I once sent a camera to Nikon wrapped in a bath towel, with no other padding, and shipped it UPS ground from the west coast all the way to Melville. Quick repair (mapped out a dead sensel) plus a firmware update, no charge. The camera came back wrapped in a cubic meter of plastic bubbles, but they kept my bath towel.

Probably a nice towel

Oct 08, 2014 at 09:34 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.12 #7 · p.12 #7 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

Holy post bump! I sent my D600 in for the "recall", and it has marks on it from all over the west coast. I had a feeling they may state "impact damage", because it has indeed impacted many a rock around here. But I got it back with not a word about the "experience" the camera has encountered.

Oct 08, 2014 at 10:17 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.12 #8 · p.12 #8 · Nikon says Impact Damage, D800

The D600 was part of a recall. It was not in for warranty service. Even if they did claim impact damage they would have had to repair it under the recall terms. Send it in for some other malfunction and wait for the inevitable impact damage email.

There is a recent thread on DPReview about the possibility of drop-testing or otherwise impact testing cameras. If they did, the Nikon D800 would likely score a big, fat ZERO.

Oct 08, 2014 at 10:40 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.