Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Using 5d3 multi exposure to reduce noise.

Larate
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Using 5d3 multi exposure to reduce noise.

dhphoto wrote:
Does it, or does it just mean there is noise upon noise which makes it look like less noise but at the expense of detail?

Certainly in Snapsy's example it seems there is an apparent loss of detail in the lettering

I can't help thinking skillful use of PS layers and good noise reduction software would be both quicker and better

YMMV

Regarding the tests I'd done, I saw less noise and more detail. More precisely, when I compared a 5-shot-averaged multi exposure at 20K ISO with a single one at the same ISO, I was able to see subtle details in the former that were more or less hidden by noise in the latter. With the benefit of such a clean photo.
I forgot to take shots at lower ISO to compare, but I wouldn't be surprised of a gain of 2 to 3 stops - the photo looked very clean. I remember doing similar with the 7D (taking a burst of the same shot and blending them at PP), and having a gain of about 1.5 stops (blending 5 shots at 6400 ISO was less noisy than a single shot at 3200 ISO, but more noisy than a single shot at 1600 ISO).

My 2% cpu !
Larate

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · Using 5d3 multi exposure to reduce noise.

Beni wrote:
Strangely the manual says that using multi exposure will increase noise.

There are several multi-exposure modes. In-camera combining would probably increase noise in some of them, particularly the ones that don't use averaging.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Using 5d3 multi exposure to reduce noise.

As I said, you have to use average to avoid exposure changes. My experiment kept detail the same and reduced noise. Care must be taken to avoid movement either in camera or when stacking later in Photoshop.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:51 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Using 5d3 multi exposure to reduce noise.

Fred Miranda wrote:
This can also be used for astrophotography stacking as well. See this thread here:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1192050/1#11372841

Ease of use sounds great. Assuming you never move the camera, stop tracking the stars, and have very good polar alignment, I wonder how it would compare to DSS if you had 1-2 hours time span of subs. Certainly would take a lot of extra pp out of the picture.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:01 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password