Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories ...

JMBANAS
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories . . .

I am an amateur photographer who has learned a lot from FM, and I appreciate the comments from the members and have come to respect a number of the frequent posters. I have something that is a little different, so I thought I would post here and ask for a little help in the hopes that someone could guide me.

The last year has been a tough one for me and my family. We have suffered a few major losses in our family, leaving me with boxes and boxes of old photographs that I never even knew existed. They are from the 1940's to the 1980's, and there are 100s and 100s of them. While I enjoy going down memory lane, they are not long for this world. The attic has not been kind to a lot of them. What I would like to do is make a digital photo album of my family and my wife's family from these pictures. But, I know nothing about scanners. This is where I am asking for help.

What I am looking for are recommendations for a reliable scanner that is easy to use and will yield decent results. Price is always a consideration, but if a $100 scanner is garbage and a $400 scanner is great, well, that is an extra $300 well spent, in my mind.

So, with all that being said, can anyone recommend a good scanner? I would also like what would be your "dream" scanner for converting old photographs to the digital age.

I know there are more than a few services that do this, but I would like to try it myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If there is a more suitable forum, please feel free to move this and/or point it out to me. Thank you all in advance.

Michael

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:30 PM
AmIgone
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories . . .

Take a look at Epson v700 with Silverfast.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:22 PM
JMBANAS
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories . . .

Thanks. That is the model I was looking at when I googled scanners and even when I searched the forums here. It seems a lot of people are concerned about how it scans slides, and I won't be using it for that purpose at all. I wasn't sure if there was something out there that was just as good if not better for photos, but maybe is deficient in how it deals with slides. I don't ever see myself needing it for slides.

Unless I get some feedback, the Epson v700 is one I will most likely purchase.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:58 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories . . .

I know there are more than a few services that do this, but I would like to try it myself.

Oh, the fun you will have.

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Milezero00

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories . . .

Yes. The Epson V700. I scanned thousands of carousel slides with mine. This scanner is a beast! You will get GREAT hi res images. There is probably a newer version out now. Mine has been used for thousands and thousands of images and it has been 100% dependable. I highly recommend it and encourage you to make the investment. (No I don't work for Epson

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:32 PM
Genes Home
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories . . .

You are probably not going to like my recommendation........

1. for prints and images and larger than 35mm slides and film........go with the EPSON flat mode scanner, with current silverfast software.

2. for 35mm slides/film.........go with one of the plustek film specific scanners (I use the 7600) again with the silverfast software.

In the 35mm world you will find a DISTINCT quality difference by using a film/slide specific scanner and the software optimized for the unit as compared to a flatbed unit. If you are like me you will find that........

a. As you examine them, many (most) of the 35mm film and slide images will not be worth scanning into digital form.
b. The ones you DO scan in will show far higher resolution and color depth from the film specific scanner than from the flatbed unit, and will be easier to get a quality enlargement from that you are happy with in the end (I routinely crop and enlarge to 20x30).

Gene

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:25 PM
JMBANAS
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories . . .

I appreciate all of the responses. It appears that, for my purposes, the Epson is the right choice. That is what I thought, but wanted input from the FM community. Off to find a good price from a reputable dealer.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:42 PM
Milezero00

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scanners for old photographs to preserve family memories . . .

One final thought. I agree with Gene. However, the EPSON will scan slides just fine and it can do multiples in one scan. ALso the resolution can be set as high as 6400dpi. If you decide you want to print scans then you should also invest in a photographic printer. I found the scans to be just fine. In fact we have had many scans of old family photos framed and displayed because we don't have to worry about degradation. Final thoughts, be sure you have really good storage. Also, you will want to scan them as .tif files and NOT .jpg

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password