Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Has anyone tried the Lytro?

bigbluebear
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Has anyone tried the Lytro?

My friend told me about the lytro and I checked out the site. Has anyone tried this and do you see the major players picking up this tech?

https://www.lytro.com/camera

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:05 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Has anyone tried the Lytro?

There is something like a 16 to 1 penalty for Lytro. You use a 16 MPx sensor and get about 1 Mpx out of it. It requires special lenses bonded to the sensel array so you can't just turn it on and off.

I don't see it inside a DSLR this decade and probably not the next. However, alexdi thinks it will be. Cellphones, who knows?

When sensor arrays advance enough to have 256 Mpx, then you can have a 16 Mpx Lytro. But by then DSLRs will have 256 Mpx and will be doing other tricks with the excess pixels like puttin out 64 Mpx images with 20 stops dynamic range (put neutral density filters on 128 Mpx sensels).

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:05 PM
bigbluebear
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Has anyone tried the Lytro?

The description on the site seemed pretty gimmicky to me but I do see myself using it for a specific purpose. If the low light performance is pretty good, I can see myself using it when I go out for the evening (looks to fit in a pocket pretty well). There's no need to focus so it's just pick up and snap away. However, I doubt it performs well indoors. Maybe someone that has one can comment.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:09 PM
_SBS_
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Has anyone tried the Lytro?

Ive played with one. The gimmick is lost after a few days. Also, the only shots that really look good are ones with something right in the foreground (like a plant) and another subject further away. You start positioning yourself so you can get shots just for the effect and not for a good shot.

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Has anyone tried the Lytro?

_SBS_ wrote:
Ive played with one. The gimmick is lost after a few days. Also, the only shots that really look good are ones with something right in the foreground (like a plant) and another subject further away. You start positioning yourself so you can get shots just for the effect and not for a good shot.

Sounds like a 16-35mm f2.8.

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:23 PM
Red 90
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Has anyone tried the Lytro?

At the present time, I think it's more gimmick than useful. The resolution is very small for today's standards. To be able to play with the focus feature, you need to post it on a special website. Most of the time people will never play with the focusing when you show your images to them. If you do choose and area to focus and convert it into a static image file, the quality is soft and without detail. So I say at the present time... it doesn't satisfy what people need for a camera.

Although I must admit it is an intriguing concept and can possibly become useful in the future.

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:38 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.