Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · A bad day for my 5d3

outlawyer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · A bad day for my 5d3

I use an adapter in my 5DC. Could have sworn it was this one, but maybe not.
Laptops and many desktops don't have CF slots anymore, the adapters are handy.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:25 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · A bad day for my 5d3

It should fit in a 5D, but yes, as I said before, it would only really be useful if the SD card slid out with the adapter still in the camera, which would be VERY handy

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:36 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.2 #3 · A bad day for my 5d3

dhphoto wrote:
I just wish some clever person could invent a CF-SD card adapter that you didn't need to remove from the camera to get the SD card out...

Or magnetic contact transfer - magnetic contact similar to Apple's.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:50 AM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.2 #4 · A bad day for my 5d3

I just used a toothpick, stuck it in there and bent it back. Not too hard at all.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:56 AM
petefromzim

p.2 #5 · A bad day for my 5d3

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and support.

I've seen a suggestion to use a hypodermic syringe needle of a suitable gauge to slip over the pin and bend it straight - just need to find someone with a steady hand and strong nerves!!

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:51 PM
jstephens62
• • •
p.2 #6 · A bad day for my 5d3

Paul Mo wrote:
Remove the battery and make sure the 5D is secure (on a tripod for example), then take a fine tool, like a long sewing needle, plenty of light and a magnifying glass if you have one, and reach in there and straighten the pin out - then, in future, be very gentle when inserting your CF cards.

AFMA - WHY BOTHER?

Arizona Floodplain Management Association?

Arizona Food Marketing Alliance?

Australian Financial Markets Association?

Americans For Medial Advancement?

Australian Fish Management Association?

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:12 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · A bad day for my 5d3

Paul Mo wrote:
...AFMA - WHY BOTHER?

jstephens62 wrote:
Arizona Floodplain Management Association?

Arizona Food Marketing Alliance?

Australian Financial Markets Association?

Americans For Medial Advancement?

Australian Fish Management Association?

Hmm. Photography forum; Canon sub-forum.

Maybe "Auto Focus Micro Adjustment"?

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:19 PM
marko1953
• • •
p.2 #8 · A bad day for my 5d3

On the bent pin, I used a wooden skewer, couldn't believe how well it worked.i had to use a strong light to see the bent pin.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:36 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
p.2 #9 · A bad day for my 5d3

I use cheap (like $10) Rosewill CF card readers in my PCs. The damn pins get bent every few months. I've gotten quite good at bending them very gently back into place, and at being careful. Both skills are worth having. I'm now very careful with CF cards in my 5DIII. Make sure the cards are going in dead straight, push very gently, and *stop* if you feel any resistance: a pin it probably already a little bent, and needs to be fixed before it gets any worse. It's apparently quite expensive to have Canon replace the CF reader (sure about a $3 part but they have to take the camera apart).

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:24 AM
mohoyt

p.2 #10 · A bad day for my 5d3

Judging by this partial teardown at LensRentals, Canon have designed the 5D3 to be a little more modular with the CF slot. Though I doubt that has any bearing on the repair prices associated with it.

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

petefromzim

p.2 #11 · A bad day for my 5d3

Just for the record....i managed to get the pin straightened by a friend with a steady hand and good eyesight. We used the surgical hypodermic needle method although because it is quite flexible, it had to be braced against a jeweller's screwdriver. I replaced the CF card VERY carefully and have left it in there for fear of this happening again since the card has damage on the plastic edge of the socket. We can't get fast CF cards here in Kenya, so for now I will download direct from the camera.

One other point that arose in this thread - why use the CF card at all? I do a lot of hi-speed shooting and the SD card is just not as fast as a CF.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Pete

Apr 24, 2013 at 08:26 AM
marko1953
• • •
p.2 #12 · A bad day for my 5d3

As you can see, it is reasonably simple to fix a bent pin. Even I managed to do it. I used a very thin (about 1.5mm) wooden "skewer" (you know ,like a kebab skewer. I just held the 5D in my hands but with bright sunlight down the slot, I could easily see the bent pin and gently coaxed it straight again.

Apr 24, 2013 at 09:24 AM
sritri
• • • •
p.2 #13 · A bad day for my 5d3

Pete,

The most sure shot way to do is with a pair of surgical needles from a Veterinary clinic. Find the longest ones available and gently poke the bent pin. Though not on any of my camera, I have done this a few times with similar pin based electronics which are hard to reach.

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:31 PM
petefromzim

p.2 #14 · A bad day for my 5d3

sritri wrote:
Pete,

The most sure shot way to do is with a pair of surgical needles from a Veterinary clinic. Find the longest ones available and gently poke the bent pin. Though not on any of my camera, I have done this a few times with similar pin based electronics which are hard to reach.

Thanks - that's pretty much what I did - hollow needle. All seems ok now!

Apr 24, 2013 at 01:44 PM
SteveF
• • • •
p.2 #15 · A bad day for my 5d3

People are often negative about the SD and XQD formats, but this is certainly one big advantage they have - i.e. no pins to bend.

I rush a lot of things, but tend to try and slow down and put the cf cards in gently - they just aren't as robust as many of the other systems on the camera.

Apr 25, 2013 at 01:49 PM
super35
• •
p.2 #16 · A bad day for my 5d3

You guys know you can copy images from CF card to SD card inside the 5D3 right? So if you are worried, there is no need to ever remove or insert the CF card and you also will not have to download by slow USB.

This way you can shoot onto a super fast UDMA 7 CF card, copy the images to SD inside the camera and not worry about bent pins. It only takes a few minutes to copy all images on a card and you can let the camera do it inside your bag on the drive back from a shoot.

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:30 PM
petefromzim

p.2 #17 · A bad day for my 5d3

Hmm.... I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

Apr 25, 2013 at 03:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · A bad day for my 5d3

super35 wrote:
...you can copy images from CF card to SD card inside the 5D3...there is no need to ever remove or insert the CF card and you also will not have to download by slow USB. ...It only takes a few minutes to copy all images on a card and you can let the camera do it inside your bag on the drive back from a shoot.

Excellent tip.

Too bad my 7D only has one card. (I usually use a cable connection to my computer to download images from the camera, but when I do take out the card I'm very careful when I put it back.)

Apr 25, 2013 at 04:42 PM
Xandervt
• • •
p.2 #19 · A bad day for my 5d3

I had a broken card reader witch damage my cf-card. Did see that and lucky me it didn't damage the cam's pins.

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password