New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · A bad day for my 5d3

petefromzim

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A bad day for my 5d3

On Saturday last, I carried out the DotTune AFMA process on three of my lenses, apparently successfully, and on Sunday decided to go out to our local wildlife park to try out some real-world images. Arriving in the park, I switched on the camera and noticed that it took 10-15 seconds to power up. I switched it off and on again - same thing. Removed and replaced battery - same thing.

I then attempted to take a photo and got an error message to the effect that card slot 1 was not reading and suggested a format of the card. I tried this and got another error message. I had a CF card in slot 1 (RAW) and a sd card in slot 2 (SJeg) and so I removed the CF card and switched to standard shooting on the SD card.

On chimping, I could clearly see that the images were severely soft. After much head-scratching, I checked the AFMA menu setting and found that although the per lens setting was as set on the previous day, the "All by same amount" setting had mysteriously changed itself to -8. How?

At this point, I decided that this was just not my day in the park and packed up. On arrival home, I had a good look inside the cf card slot and, sure enough, one pin has bent over and is touching the one next to it. There is also a scratch mark on the socket side of the card itself.

Searching around on the forums, I find that bent pins are not uncommon. Somewhere, also, I am sure I saw someone else report the -8 AFMA issue although I can't find it now!

Some of you readers may be envious that I live in photographer's paradise, Kenya - sadly this now poses a big problem for me to get the camera repaired here in the middle of Africa. I have to consider unconventional ways of straightening the bent pin. Does anyone out there have any bright ideas, I wonder?

As I say, a bad day for my beloved 5d3.....

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A bad day for my 5d3

Remove the battery and make sure the 5D is secure (on a tripod for example), then take a fine tool, like a long sewing needle, plenty of light and a magnifying glass if you have one, and reach in there and straighten the pin out - then, in future, be very gentle when inserting your CF cards.

AFMA - WHY BOTHER?

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:12 AM
dgenx24
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A bad day for my 5d3

that sucks.. yea like what Paul said..
here are some links that might be useful..
I dont know if warranty covers it or not but looks like cost is around $223 here in US.
So I would give it a try to fix it before spending money...

http://www.ehow.com/how_6375766_fix-canon-digital-rebel-camera.html

http://therenderq.com/repair-cost-of-canon-7d-bent-pin-in-compact-flash-slot

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:19 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A bad day for my 5d3

Paul Mo wrote:
AFMA - WHY BOTHER?

Some of us like to get the maximum sharpness out of our images.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A bad day for my 5d3

stanj wrote:
Some of us like to get the maximum sharpness out of our images.

If your lens/camera body is off, it can affect images where dof is shallow. This has affected me long telephotos at f4. Nothing like an animal photo where you focus on the eyes and the ears behind it are in much better focus. My recent mid focal length zoom at 2.8 is so sharp, I'm not bothering to mfa.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A bad day for my 5d3

For bent cpu pins, I use a mechanical pencil, but that is not long enough to reach your bent pin. Wonder if something similar but longer on ebay could be found.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:35 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A bad day for my 5d3

Ugh, that sucks! It's unfortunate we still have expensive cameras using delicate pin interconnects for flash storage. You're right about seeing the -8 bug AFMA bug mentioned - I found the thread here.

Edited on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM · View previous versions

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A bad day for my 5d3

I tried the dotcom method yesterday and was surprised at how broad the focus confirm range was. I have also noted in the past that AF is not very repeatable. And I also know that micro adjust has a positive impact even for WA lenses at f8. When you want perfect focus, AF is still a sloppy tool.

I suspect those who don't MA have eagle vision and can see OOF in the viewfinder.

I am glad this and other -8 MA posts have been put up, I will watch for it. I carry a MA list in my pocket to fix things if they get changed.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM
Peacekpr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A bad day for my 5d3

I had this issue once before. Here's how I fixed it:
-Remove battery
-select a surgical clamp (med or long will both reach)
-make sure you ground yourself and the tool out on the tripod mount threads on the camera's base
-carefully bend the pin back into place/shape. Do not pull or push down as this could damage the circuit board behind
-slowly insert a new CF card making sure you got the fit correct.

Someone here mentioned using a mechanical pencil. That's a good idea just make sure your clean it thoroughly before use. The graphite will cause dissimilar metal corrosion.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A bad day for my 5d3

Roger Cicala of lensrentals reported that this was a far more common problem with the 5D3 than other cameras. I'm being very careful with mine.

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:28 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A bad day for my 5d3

petefromzim wrote:
Searching around on the forums, I find that bent pins are not uncommon. Somewhere, also, I am sure I saw someone else report the -8 AFMA issue although I can't find it now!

The thread I posted on the MA problem is here

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187811/1#11376593

As for the CF card, if you can ensure it isn't touching another pin I would just use the SD card slot until you can effect a proper repair. At least you do have the luxury of having two slots.

I've done this with a very, very thin tube and gradually eased the pin straight

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A bad day for my 5d3

I may switch to the SD card which was the one I preferred on my 1DS-mk3.

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:44 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A bad day for my 5d3

That's the one piece of dodgy design I have found on the 5D3 (so far) if there isn't a CF card in it's very easy to put the SD card in the wrong slot and potentially damage the CF pins, especially if you are doing it from behind the camera (if it's set up on a tripod or whatever so you are sliding it in from the side) the two card slots are very close together.

I keep a CF card in at all times now even if I'm not using it

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:49 PM
mcbane

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A bad day for my 5d3

The mini pins on CF card sockets have always concerned me. Being the paranoid type, I typically wait for the glacial USB 2.0 retrieval of photos rather than pop the memory card each time I use the camera. Good luck with the pin-straighting effort.

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:56 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A bad day for my 5d3

mcbane wrote:
The mini pins on CF card sockets have always concerned me. Being the paranoid type, I typically wait for the glacial USB 2.0 retrieval of photos rather than pop the memory card each time I use the camera. Good luck with the pin-straighting effort.

I couldn't be bothered with all the tethering and lifing up the side covers etc.

The CF cards are usually ok, it's quite rare to bend a pin but it happens.

I just wish some clever person could invent a CF-SD card adapter that you didn't need to remove from the camera to get the SD card out.

Although it would have to be the thin type as the 5D3 CF slot won't take the fatter ones.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:01 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A bad day for my 5d3

snapsy wrote:
...It's unfortunate we still have expensive cameras using delicate pin interconnects for flash storage.

When I took a digital photography class a couple of years ago, students using the college's cameras were not allowed to even touch the CF card; they had to use a cable connection to download their project photos. The school had had too many cases of broken or bent pins. (I had my own camera, so I wasn't restricted.)

I've never had a bent pin on my 20D or 7D, but I've repaired a few for other people. (Since I'm a trained watchmaker, I'm the "go to guy" amongst my friends for anything micromechanical.) The SD card design seems much more robust.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:05 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A bad day for my 5d3

dhphoto wrote:
I just wish some clever person could invent a CF-SD card adapter that you didn't need to remove from the camera to get the SD card out.
Although it would have to be the thin type as the 5D3 CF slot won't take the fatter ones.

I've ordered this one and it's arriving today. I've read it fits most DSLRs - I plan to try it in my 5DM3. The SD is spring loaded so I think it'll pop out without taking the CF adapter out.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:10 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A bad day for my 5d3

Bent CF pins are a real PITA. I've had to deal with them in the past on both cameras and other electronic equipment. I had one camera years ago which ended up with a broken CF pin for some reason, probably just broke because I was very careful with inserting cards. I ended up recycling it because it wasn't worth the cost of repair.

What is it with the 5D3 that it's more susceptible? Interesting - perhaps a design issue?

Out of curiosity, is there any real advantage with CF vs SD, other than read/write speed?

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:13 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A bad day for my 5d3

snapsy wrote:
I've ordered this one and it's arriving today. I've read it fits most DSLRs - I plan to try it in my 5DM3. The SD is spring loaded so I think it'll pop out without taking the CF adapter out.

I fear that won't fit a 5D3, I hope I'm wrong, it says it's a type II card and the 5D3 only has a type 1 slot

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A bad day for my 5d3

dhphoto wrote:
I fear that won't fit a 5D3, I hope I'm wrong, it says it's a type II card and the 5D3 only has a type 1 slot

Ugh, not even close to fitting. Doesn't fit in a 5Dc either. The reviews on Amazon said it did. Plus the SD slot is perpendicular to the CF pins, so I'd have to remove the adapter to access the SD card anyway.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:30 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.