Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Texas State Capitol

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Texas State Capitol

I went to Austin to shoot the city for a week. One of the highlights is the Texas State Capitol (14 feet taller than the U.S. Capitol by the way.) This is a beautiful building and access is relatively easy compared to the U.S. Capitol. There is TSA style screening of your gear but no need for a permit to use a tripod or other impediments. The guards are friendly and helpful as well. A great place to visit if you are in Austin.

Interior shots were done with the Canon 17MM TS-E, exterior shots with the 24MM TS-E II.

İPhoto by Aboud Dweck, All Rights Reserved

Tourist in the rotunda

Third level of dome interior leading to offices

Interior, top of the dome

Capitol with underground extension

Evening view

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:00 PM
LandPirate
• •
p.1 #2 · Texas State Capitol

Good Job. You captured it well. Makes a Texas boy proud. I recently shot a few of my own from different perspective. They're posted here somewhere.

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:38 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #3 · Texas State Capitol

Thank you. I loved Austin and I am looking forward to going there again. I also had a day in the hill country and went to Llano. This is the county court house. I didn't have my TS-E lenses with me so I was a little limited in what I could do but I love the building.

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:01 PM
donsj3cub
• •
p.1 #4 · Texas State Capitol

Very very nice

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:55 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · Texas State Capitol

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful state!

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LandPirate
• •
p.1 #6 · Texas State Capitol

I hope you made it to Enchanted Rock (between Llano and Fredricksburg). If you're still in the area and like BBQ then Cooper's in Llano is the spot. I like the pork chop, personally. The Willow City Loop is a must once the bluebonnets and spring flowers begin to bloom. Go on weekdays to avoid the crowds. And even though most of the road is open range (meaning no fences), don't be tempted to get off of the road. It's private land and the owners get a bit cranky about it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:56 AM
astrobrian
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Texas State Capitol

I think part of the ease of access, use of tripods, etc is due to Austin being a rather highly artistic town. Lots of photogs in the area, so they are likely used to it. Texas also has a bit more common sense than D.C. Had to say it!

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:08 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Texas State Capitol

Ya think!?

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:09 AM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #9 · Texas State Capitol

astrobrian wrote:
I think part of the ease of access, use of tripods, etc is due to Austin being a rather highly artistic town. Lots of photogs in the area, so they are likely used to it. Texas also has a bit more common sense than D.C. Had to say it!

No, the main reason is that D.C. is a target. I've lived here most of my life and 9/11 changed everything. There are security barriers all around the U.S. Capitol. It is truly unfortunate. This is not to say that the Capitol Police don't have a bit of attitude, not unlike TSA workers. I was a block away from the Capitol setting up my tripod to shoot a building for a client and was approached by a Capitol cop. He asked me if I had a permit to use a tripod on the sidewalk. I didn't of course as I wasn't aware that I would need one - the common sense thing and I will absolutely tip my hat to Texas on that one. I had to explain that the owner of the building across the street was my client and I was working. He gave me two minutes to shoot IF I moved my tripod off the sidewalk and onto the grass. While it wasn't exactly the perspective I wanted it worked so I shot it and moved on. We have plenty of photographers here in the D.C. area - and we are all frustrated with the restrictions. We just can't afford to hire a lobbyist.

P.S. No, I didn't buy the hat I am wearing.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password