Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2013 · D600 eyepiece options
  
 
camboman
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · D600 eyepiece options


I shoot mostly landscapes and I like long exposures with ND filters. Coming from a d700 to the d600, I'm in love with the sensor, not so much with the eyepiece. As far as I can see, the DK-5 eyepiece cover is my only option. It certainly works as a shutter, but has a high hassle factor in use and is small enough to be easily lost. It just seems like Nikon could have put on a proper shutter eyepiece. I know, it's the budget FF, and they had to cut cost somewhere - but at least they could offer it as an option.

I've looked but can find no aftermarket solution. I'm open to ideas before I resort to black tape.



Feb 26, 2013 at 03:42 AM
davidnholtjr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D600 eyepiece options


camboman wrote:
I shoot mostly landscapes and I like long exposures with ND filters. Coming from a d700 to the d600, I'm in love with the sensor, not so much with the eyepiece. As far as I can see, the DK-5 eyepiece cover is my only option. It certainly works as a shutter, but has a high hassle factor in use and is small enough to be easily lost. It just seems like Nikon could have put on a proper shutter eyepiece. I know, it's the budget FF, and they had to cut cost somewhere - but at least they could offer
...Show more

The eye piece cover is a pain, but it's the only thing I've seen for the lower end cameras.

I would put my hat over the back of the camera to cover the viewfinder when I used a camera without the nice viewfinder which seemed to work good.

Maybe a small thick rag could work also?



Feb 27, 2013 at 07:55 PM
PeaktoPeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · D600 eyepiece options


Is this really a big issue? I'm asking because I switched to a Nikon D600 after shooting Canon for 10 years and in that time I never needed to cover the viewfinder on either of my Canon bodies. I am wondering if this is something to be concerned with or not. Thanks-
Paul



Feb 27, 2013 at 08:37 PM
davidnholtjr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · D600 eyepiece options


PeaktoPeek wrote:
Is this really a big issue? I'm asking because I switched to a Nikon D600 after shooting Canon for 10 years and in that time I never needed to cover the viewfinder on either of my Canon bodies. I am wondering if this is something to be concerned with or not. Thanks-
Paul



If you're shooting long exposure it's good to cover the viewfinder because light can enter the VF and mess up the exposure. I've had this happen.



Feb 27, 2013 at 08:51 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



pburke
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · D600 eyepiece options


I use gaffer tape, always have some in the bag



Feb 27, 2013 at 09:59 PM
PeaktoPeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · D600 eyepiece options


davidnholtjr wrote:
If you're shooting long exposure it's good to cover the viewfinder because light can enter the VF and mess up the exposure. I've had this happen.


How long are we talking? I haven't had any issues and I often have exposures of 15-20 sec -- is this more of an issue with exposures of 30+ seconds? I usually shoot landscapes, so the light level is usually pretty low and as a result I get some long exposures. I also don't usually shoot with the sun directly behind me, so maybe that is why I haven't run into the issue before. Like I said, I am coming from a Canon, so I am wondering if this is more prevalent with a Nikon camera or not. Thanks!



Feb 27, 2013 at 10:43 PM
davidnholtjr
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · D600 eyepiece options


PeaktoPeek wrote:
How long are we talking? I haven't had any issues and I often have exposures of 15-20 sec -- is this more of an issue with exposures of 30+ seconds? I usually shoot landscapes, so the light level is usually pretty low and as a result I get some long exposures. I also don't usually shoot with the sun directly behind me, so maybe that is why I haven't run into the issue before. Like I said, I am coming from a Canon, so I am wondering if this is more prevalent with a Nikon camera or not. Thanks!



My problem came on because the sun was behind me. so it was needed to cover the VF. But most times one may not need to. At the time I had the problem I was using a Canon 7D, so it doesn't matter if it's Nikon or Canon.



Feb 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM
camboman
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · D600 eyepiece options


davidnholtjr wrote:
The eye piece cover is a pain, but it's the only thing I've seen for the lower end cameras.

I would put my hat over the back of the camera to cover the viewfinder when I used a camera without the nice viewfinder which seemed to work good.

Maybe a small thick rag could work also?


Another good reason to bring a hat - eyepiece cover and lens shade. Thanks, I'll try that!





Feb 28, 2013 at 02:09 PM





FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password