Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · What are you using for portable backup?

johnbirch

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What are you using for portable backup?

I am going on photographic trip in june, and I am looking for a portable backup solution for my D800. I would like to avoid taking my laptop.

I have been looking at the Nexto DI. Other than the high price, does anyone have any experience with it?

What is everyone using for portable backup? Any recommendations?

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Defy
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What are you using for portable backup?

i know it's not the answer you want but MBA 11 inch and leave the Ipad at home, not too big.

That made me think. Nikon should put a software that would allow you to connect your 500 gig hd to the camera and by pass the computer. That would be sweet....

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What are you using for portable backup?

I have a nexto device that I got about 4years ago. Works as advertised and is still doing fine.
I got a 64GB iPad that i used on a trip for duplicate back up and while it does do a job I find it a bit of a kludge for various reasons. As far as I am concerned the 11 inch MBA would be my choice although it is in a different cost bracket from the Nexto but it would have a lot more usefulness when the Nexto is sitting in the drawer between trips.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What are you using for portable backup?

I just purchased a hyperspace color space UDMA to use as a packup and a storage drive for my iPad. I got the case only plus a spare battery and auto charger plus something else that I'm planning on trying out that should allow me to plug it into the USB port on my body ans send photo directly to the color space like being tethered but wirelessly.

I also got an email that they have a gizmo that commenters the camera to a iPhone or iPad and you control it from the iOS device. But ill wait ans see how the items I bought workout before buying it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What are you using for portable backup?

For short trips, I upload to my 64GB iPad using the Camera Connection kit (CF cards work well with an old Kodak USB reader). I'm not too concerned with backup but enjoy viewing the images, minor tweaks and maybe an upload or two to web galleries.

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:27 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What are you using for portable backup?

When I don't take my noteook, I simply carry tons of cards. When I bring my notebook, I use a Transcend StoreJet. Just picked up a 1TB StoreJet for $109, new.

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What are you using for portable backup?

I have an older Hyperdrive colorspace UDMA with 500GB capacity. doesn't support my XQD cards though.

recently purchased a Surface Pro as my travel setup and it now I have all that I need and a whole lot more too using external drives.
in the case is 1.2TB of storage and USB3 readers
in addition if not using the colorspace as a direct input drive I can use it as another external one at a respectable 28MB/s

when i'm out full tilt I also include the PS for the Surface P and 4 I/O powered USB3 hub total under 3.75 lbs.

if I really wanted to push it I could add a burner.

Edited on Feb 26, 2013 at 09:07 AM · View previous versions

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:11 AM
sperraglia
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What are you using for portable backup?

I have had a nexto for years, it is an older model and I have had a 500gb and now 1 tb drive in it and it works great. I have even dropped the darn thing and it keeps on ticking although I won't recommend dropping it. I love that it recognizes incremental backing-up and not sure if others do this. I usually have a laptop but always paranoid that it breaks or is stolen when on the road so I love having the nexto as my safety and I carry it around with me at all times on a trip. I have always had bad luck with hyperdrives but have never had a problem with nexto.

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:35 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What are you using for portable backup?

If you use a portable drive, you either need to keep your images on the memory card AND the drive, or buy 2 drives. If you don't have 2 copies, it's not backed up.

I use a MacBook Air and an external USB 3 drive with SuperDuper to backup when traveling.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:05 AM
matt4626
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What are you using for portable backup?

I've had good luck with HyperDrive.....

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM
johnbirch

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What are you using for portable backup?

Thanks for the replies. This isn't so easy. I planned on keeping all the photos on my cards, and using the hard drive as a backup. I am spending a week in iceland strictly for photography, so I expect a fair amount of space required. I already have 30lbs of camera gear, so I am trying to reduce the need for the computer. The problem with a macbook air, is the need for an external hard drive. I don't want to spend any time editing (I tend to shoot like it is film), so I thought I could get away with just an ipad.

The one problem is that the nexto is almost as much as a used macbook air. Who said digital was easier/cheaper? Although good luck backing up your film...

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What are you using for portable backup?

I have to travel with my laptop because of work.... My Lowepro backback has a perfect spot for it.

So my backup is 2 250g HD I got a couple years ago. One is in the backpack and the other is always on my person. This one is not much larger than my iphone...

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Tim Brooks
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What are you using for portable backup?

I was going through the same delima until a friend showed me a refurb Lenovo s205s notebook (11.6 in screen) for $205 on slickdeals.com. It's no screamer but coupled with an HP simplesave portable drive you have a nice on-the-road backup system.

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What are you using for portable backup?

Memory cards. The fastest, safest, smallest and lightest solutions

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:41 AM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What are you using for portable backup?

Agree w/Lars... xtra cards best way to go. Memory is so cheap these days, why not?

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:23 AM
jaclarkaus
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What are you using for portable backup?

I use a laptop and internet cafe to upload to my servers at home, but you could use SkyDrive, Googel Drive, Drop Box, etc. just as easily.

I usually update the website same way, just works.

If you don't want to take anything heavy, try the new chromebooks which are internet only, but really light and cheap!

Mar 02, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What are you using for portable backup?

jaclarkaus wrote:
I use a laptop and internet cafe to upload to my servers at home, but you could use SkyDrive, Googel Drive, Drop Box, etc. just as easily.

I usually update the website same way, just works.

If you don't want to take anything heavy, try the new chromebooks which are internet only, but really light and cheap!

But that only works if you stay in the cities all the time When being out in the nature, backpacking, trekking or similar things. You will not find any internet cafe.
For me a real backup is when I have control over it.

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What are you using for portable backup?

johnbirch wrote:
I am going on photographic trip in june, and I am looking for a portable backup solution for my D800. I would like to avoid taking my laptop.

I have been looking at the Nexto DI. Other than the high price, does anyone have any experience with it?

What is everyone using for portable backup? Any recommendations?

I have three of the Nexto 2700 series with 1TB drives that were $120 empty four years ago. I understand that now there is a newer model now, but that it must be purchased with a drive at a rather high price. I also have a Hyperdrive UDMA with a 1TB drive. All of them are as reliable as the hard drive installed. The Hyperdrive is larger and heavier, though it does have the considerable advantage of using an easily swappable standard 18650 battery. Some models of 1TB drives did not work, though the newest Hyperdrives may have resolved that issue.

EBH

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:42 AM
liamtoh1

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What are you using for portable backup?

I am also using a Nexto ND-2700. I purchased only the casing in 2008 and put a 320GB 2.4" HDD. It has been working good for me so far. Once I come back home, I move all the files to my desktop PC.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:37 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What are you using for portable backup?

I recently bought the older nexto extreme used, and put a SSD in it. Only used it once so far, but it is a great solution for quick backup on the go. I use it when shooting sports events for another local photog that gives me his card to shoot on. That way I get to keep the images for me and not just give them all away (I know, that is another can of worms, but not relevant here other than my work-around )

Paul

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:00 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.