Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Speedlite 580EX problems... Overheating?

mohoyt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Speedlite 580EX problems... Overheating?

I've recently started to run into issues with my 580EX (v1) Speedlite. I turn it on, with freshly recharged batteries, and all is well, the pilot light goes red, and I can shoot, except that before I get a chance to shoot, the pilot light goes off. Or sometimes it flickers between green and red for a while. But eventually it turns off, and I can't use the Speedlite at all.

Occasionally I have been able to get a shot off, and it has worked fine (even using wireless master and triggering a 430EXII), but the pilot light's eventually just turned off and the flash doesn't fire. The flash still works otherwise - I can turn the backlight on/change settings etc. it just won't fire.

Any thoughts on what may have occurred? Or has anyone else had a similar issue? I would hazard a guess at some sort of overheating after a bit of Googling, but that doesn't explain why it works for a small time only does it?

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Speedlite 580EX problems... Overheating?

Overheating happens when you repeatedy fire it in rapid succession.

Is this problem occuring when it's on the camera or before you put it on the camera, when you push the test/pilot lamp button? If it's happening on camera, then you could check to see if the mount on the flash and/or the camera hot shoe has loosened up - it could be either one. If it happens before you put it on the camera, then you should probably have it looked at by a certified repair shop.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07 PM
mohoyt

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Speedlite 580EX problems... Overheating?

It occurs both on the camera and before I put it on. Sometimes the pilot light stays on green for a while. Then I switch the camera's wireless to master (from the off position) and the pilot light goes out.

I kinda thought an overheating issue would mean total failure of the unit, not it working partially/sometimes. But I guess overheating manifests itself in different ways.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Speedlite 580EX problems... Overheating?

Well, if it was overheated by a prior event, then that could explain it.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password