Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wireless or wired remote for timelapse?

jaehoppa
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless or wired remote for timelapse?

hi guys,
I'm looking for a remote shutter release for my 5d mark iii and I'm torn between wireless and wired remotes.
One thing I'm worried about the wireless ones is losing connection during timelapse shooting.
Should I worry about this and just go with a wired one to be safe or are they generally reliable in regards to continuous connectivity?
I'm looking at the vello shutterboss on b&h and satechi ones on amazon.
Is one better than the other?

thanks.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:12 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless or wired remote for timelapse?

I think that a wired release is much prefered. With wired you have no worries about if an optical signal is going to get through. The Satechi one you mentioned seems to have the features you need that include interval between shots, and number of shots to be made. I am a long time user of the Canon version that has those functions, and it is nice, but it is more expensive. But back in the late 1990's there were really no third party choices to pick from, so I got the Canon TC80-N3, and have never had a need to look for anything else.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Genes Home
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless or wired remote for timelapse?

Agree conceptually with Roland.

I have a Vello shutter boss. Have used it for over two years now on the original battery (bought a spare, still in package in camera bag), and have had no problems with it.

Once nice thing about it is start/stop is instant. Hit off and it just stops. Hit on and it starts from beginning, with settings unchanged.

For the price, I would not trade it.

Gene

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:14 PM
adam613
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless or wired remote for timelapse?

Get a Hahnel Giga T Pro. Then you can use it either wireless or wired. I've shot time lapses with mine both ways. I usually go wireless if I'm outside, because then I can step away from the camera without having to worry about leaving the remote hanging off the side of the camera.

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless or wired remote for timelapse?

As Adam said, I lean towards wireless if I'm outside because I don't want anything dangling, nor do I want to have to disturb the camera when I stop it by picking up a dangling remote.

I use a Phottix Cleon. Simple, cheap, works well. It's RF so you don't have to maintain line of sight.

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:00 PM
miznick

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wireless or wired remote for timelapse?

My solution is the Shutterbug Remote. (www.shutterbugremote.com). Long range wireless using RF (so no worries about connectivity) and control using your iPhone / iPad. Once you set up a timelapse, it runs on its own for up to several months. At any point, just fire up the app to check the progress, stop or restart.

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:54 PM
clarence3
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wireless or wired remote for timelapse?

miznick wrote:
My solution is the Shutterbug Remote. (www.shutterbugremote.com). Long range wireless using RF (so no worries about connectivity) and control using your iPhone / iPad. Once you set up a timelapse, it runs on its own for up to several months. At any point, just fire up the app to check the progress, stop or restart.

Your intervalometer looks interesting Michael. I like that you can make the settings and then shut down the ipad and leave.

Mar 04, 2013 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password