Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Has anyone had both of these stands to compare the quality? Paul C Buff 10' general purpose stand or the Lumopro 10' air-cushioned stand? ( http://mpex.com/lumopro-lp608-10ft-black-a-c-stand.html )

I think either would be sufficient for my speedlight and/or Alienbees usage but I'd like to get the best quality for my ~$40. I just had an Interfit stand crap out on me. I have a Lumopro compact stand that is clearly better quality than the equivalent stand from Creative Light.

thanks,
brad

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

I haven't used either, so I cannot give feedback on either model. But keep in mind that you will be holding expensive lights and softboxes with these stands. Is it really worth trying to go cheap on a stand when it might be easily holding $500-1000 or more of equipment? Your gear is at the mercy of the weakest link!

If it was me, I'd feel a lot more comfortable using something like the PCB 13' heavy duty stand which is only $30 more. Any repair is certainly going to cost more than $30 should the stand fall or fail.

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:56 PM
Sellerman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

I use the Calumet 13ft heavy duty light stands and they are tough. I had PCB stands before, they gave up after months of use.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Thanks for the feedback.

brad

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:18 PM
LumoPro

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Brad-

I can tell you the 10ft would be appropriate for Alien Bees or Speedlights. Also keep in mind our stands hold a 5 year warranty against any factory defect. We want to make sure our customers are 100% satisfied. Let me know if you have any other questions- you can contact us at support [at] lumopro [dot] com.

Kevin
Product Manager
LumoPro

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:38 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

It is good to see that another vender is watching the forum!!!

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Thanks, Kevin. The warranty of both Buff and Lumopro was one reason that I'm considering both.

brad

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:11 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

I see that Buff is 1 year vs Lumopro's 5 year warranty. Could be the deciding factor.

brad

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:20 AM
LumoPro

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

@Wobble: "watching the forum"? I watch the world ... Seriously we have satellites...stop doing that.

@Brad: We joke around a lot here, but there's one thing we're VERY serious about: we stand behind our product like a mama bear. You contact me if personally if you have any issues kevin [at] lumopro [dot] com

Cheers,

Kevin
Product Manager
LumoPro

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Thanks, Kevin! There is a reason I turned to Lumopro for my compact stand after my Creative Light compact stand crapped out and I experienced their horrible support. I guess that's the reason they just went out of business.

brad

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:22 PM
LumoPro

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Awesome! Glad you like it, have you seen the new version that includes a carrying strap? Check it out: http://lumopro.com/product.php?id=73

Kevin
Product Manager
LumoPro

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:47 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Kevin, I see that your latest press release was issued from "Mars." You're starting to sound like that other fellow.

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:05 PM
LumoPro

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

We issue our releases from various locations now. Our first was to reveal our offices in the Batoka Crater, you'll have to wait around to see what offices we announce from on the next new product

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:25 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Photoflex sells a nice economical stand also. But just because you're only putting a Speedlight on it doesn't mean you don't want a stand that won't tip over easily, adjust easily, pinch your fingers, or corrode.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

I'm not just putting a speedlight on it. As I said "I think either would be sufficient for my speedlight and/or Alienbees usage"

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look.

brad

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

Cheetah sells a pretty decent C12 stand. It has auto-legs, which is a nice feature for moving it around with one hand. Low ceilings could be problematic because the legs will drag unless the stand is lifted high enough (11") to get them completely collapsed. The stand is spec'd for up to 15 lbs, and weighs a fairly hefty 7 lbs. They also have a C12 version that's air cushioned.

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:37 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

I find it hard to measure stands without handling them. If at all possible, try to get to somewhere that you can handle various types of tightening mechanisms and feel how compactness (more sections) makes a difference compared to fewer sections at the same height or how the rigidity of a 10-foot stand extended to six feet compares to that of an 8-foot stand extended to six feet.

Mar 03, 2013 at 12:12 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

I have the manfrotto 7' stands and the lumopro 7' stands. The lumopro 7' stands are on par with the manfrotto counterparts.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another lumopro lighting stand.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

I've owned and used nine or ten different kinds of light stands, and by a significant margin, the best stand I've used for all-around use (i.e., not limited to in-studio) is the Giottos LC325. It's air-cushioned, has outlasted every other stand I've had, and is generally easier to handle. Fantastic stand.

http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-LC325-4-Section-Air-cushioned-Light/dp/B000OLUM0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363193986&sr=8-1&keywords=giottos+light+stand

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which cheaper stand - Buff or Lumopro?

RDKirk wrote:
I find it hard to measure stands without handling them.

Agree. If I can pick up a stand with one hand, I don't buy it. Okay, I do have a few alu stands but, when the rivets start falling off, the humor value is seriously diminished.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:58 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.