Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

mdg137
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

BluesWest wrote:
No, it's not. It's a symptom of the gear obsession syndrome so prevalent among the participants of this forum.

John

Again, note in my original post, the switch would involve an expenditure of a couple hundred dollars-- Ive gotten phenomenal deals on my Nikon gear.

If it were an expenditure in the thousands, I wouldnt be considering it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 06:16 PM
form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

I bought a D800 after working with 5d2s (and 5d classics) for years. I trialed the focal lengths I use most in wedding work (35 and 85) and found myself a bit frustrated with the 35's slower focus speed and the general difficulty of getting accurate focus with strongly backlit subjects. I have better luck locking good focus with 35L on 5d2 on backlit subjects, and the 35L locks much faster in most situations requiring any major adjustment in focus. It's basically almost instantaneous. The 35 f/1.4g definitely has a slower acquisition. If I could get used to it and didn't already have the experience of a faster 35mm AF, then it probably would be fine...but I'm already spoiled.

Nikon's AF-S 85 f/1.8 and f/1.4 I hear perform very similarly except f/1.4 slightly slower focus. Since I'm used to slower focus with Canon 85L, the focus speed isn't so much of an issue at that length. Therefore, my preference comes down to accuracy and the overall look of the photos. I put a side by side of the Nikon AF-S 85 f/1.8 vs 85L at similar apertures from f/1.8 through about f/2.2 once and almost everyone (except me) preferred the very consistent circular highlights from the Nikon over the often cut and strong cat's eye Canon highlights. Again, I have Canon bias.

Then there's 14-24 and 24mm, both of which I hear are great on Nikon but I am less interested in since they are not my main focal lengths. And then there's 50mm, which Nikon has no equivalent to the 50L for...and the Nikon AF-S 50 f/1.4 has reported focus inconsistency (being one of the earliest iterations of AF-S?) So having 50 on Nikon is no-go.

Then, if I was interested suddenly in taking up nature photography but couldn't afford a $5-10k telephoto lens, the Nikon offerings are very limited...300 f/4 is about all I could get that has good reviews. Alternately, the Canon 400 f/5.6L has great reviews, is also inexpensive, is longer, and handles TCs pretty well.

So for me...the less than perfect AF and the limited lens selection on the Nikon side has pushed me back toward Canon. I haven't sold my Nikon stuff yet, waiting impatiently for the rebates to stop pushing down the prices of 35 f/1.4 and D800.

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:44 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

BluesWest wrote:
No, it's not. It's a symptom of the gear obsession syndrome so prevalent among the participants of this forum.

John

Bah you can't make that assumption about all system switches. Sometimes people just like trying out new things - hence when I did system switch # 10 to a full m43, it was to try out a completely small system.

Of course, new gear is always fun to play with (and what's wrong with being a gearhead?), but one truly does get at least some experience with other systems for considerable amounts of time without too much cost. As long as you buy used all the time, the costs for system switches are fairly negligible. It's only when you buy NEW then sell it used do you take big hits (witness: my complete A850 and E-5 system selloffs, which I had bought at retail. Painful).

Most of the time, though, the costs of doing system switches are much less expensive than if one had rented the equivalent system for the same amount of time it was owned. Consider it a personal rental fee

By having one's hands on the gear for more than a week or so, you can get a better feel for what works with each system. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, and sometimes it takes a while for someone to really find what works for them.

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:12 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Selling my Nikon stuff is going to hurt. The used prices for D800s are 25% less than the original price of $3k, and the 35 f/1.4g is also currently down quite a bit. Both are worse due to rebates supposedly ending March 2 (but which will probably be extended again).

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:19 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

form wrote:
Selling my Nikon stuff is going to hurt. The used prices for D800s are 25% less than the original price of $3k, and the 35 f/1.4g is also currently down quite a bit. Both are worse due to rebates supposedly ending March 2 (but which will probably be extended again).

Yes, between Nikon's price-slashing approach to marketing, and everyone else trying to dump their Nikon gear, selling it is a slow and painful process.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

form wrote:

Can you afford to keep it and use for as long as it lasts - over the next 10 years or so? Would you want to?

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:08 PM
johnvanr
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

cputeq wrote:
Bah you can't make that assumption about all system switches. Sometimes people just like trying out new things - hence when I did system switch # 10 to a full m43, it was to try out a completely small system.

Of course, new gear is always fun to play with (and what's wrong with being a gearhead?), but one truly does get at least some experience with other systems for considerable amounts of time without too much cost. As long as you buy used all the time, the costs for system switches are fairly negligible. It's only when you buy NEW
...Show more

I also consider buying used or refurbished a great way to test something out without paying for long-term rentals. I now have a refurbished d800e and a used Zeiss 25mm, with a discounted 85/1.8 on the way. For now, those are all the Nikon lenses I want to try the system against the Canon gear I have.

I even figure that since I would use the Nikon almost solely for landscapes if I am to keep it, I would only need a few lenses and it might still be a cheaper setup than Canon's rumored 45mp camera, which I'm pretty sure would be priced above $4000, if it ever comes out.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:15 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Paul Mo wrote:
Can you afford to keep it and use for as long as it lasts - over the next 10 years or so? Would you want to?

Yes I could afford to keep it for a while, but it would delay my updating my canon camera selection and I don't enjoy the nikon lenses very much (although I like the camera overall). I have thought about selling just the lenses and getting some manual lenses to play with.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

retrofocus
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

form wrote:
Yes I could afford to keep it for a while, but it would delay my updating my canon camera selection and I don't enjoy the nikon lenses very much (although I like the camera overall). I have thought about selling just the lenses and getting some manual lenses to play with.

Ideal scenario: Nikon D800 and Canon lenses attached. Practically unfortunately impossible, otherwise MANY would do this currently . There is no ideal way currently other than simply continue to use what you already have.

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:20 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Be careful! I added a Nikon system to my Canon system and, at the time (D3 verses 1D MKIII), found that Nikon seemed to have better QC and reliability. But Bruce is certainly correct. There are numerous performance overlaps in each system and the devil is in the details for the specific work you do. And, of course, all of this is a moving target.

Consider what you do. Maybe the answer is another D800(e) rotating thru service. Or maybe a D800e for landscapes and a 5D MKIII and a couple of lenses for the nudes. For my use I keep a D800e for the odd hiRez landscape but the meat of what I do is low light dance for which I use two D4s (no the 1Dx is not quite as good for what I do) with F 2.8 zooms and the 200mm F2.0 (super accurate focus and speed). What I would prefer would be for Canon to release a hi Rez body to compete with the D800e so I can use my beloved 15mm FE and 17TSE. Toward that end I am keeping my Canon glass.

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:31 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

retrofocus wrote:
Ideal scenario: Nikon D800 and Canon lenses attached. Practically unfortunately impossible, otherwise MANY would do this currently . There is no ideal way currently other than simply continue to use what you already have.

That is also my current opinion of an ideal situation. Really too bad that the Nikon mount is too small for this to be possible...

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:14 PM
Cometsoft
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

form wrote:
That is also my current opinion of an ideal situation. Really too bad that the Nikon mount is too small for this to be possible...

Considering the source of the problem in this thread is the Nikon body, not too ideal for the OP.

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:26 PM
mdg137
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

"Ideal scenario: Nikon D800 and Canon lenses attached. Practically unfortunately impossible, otherwise MANY would do this currently . There is no ideal way currently other than simply continue to use what you already have."

Agreed, and Im starting to think the lenses may be the most important component here--

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:47 PM
form
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Well...relatively speaking, the things that are most involved in the image quality and flexibility are the most important things as long as everything else permits them to do what they are capable of doing...

Therefore, the marriage of great lenses with a great sensor is the most important combination for situations not requiring fancy stuff like good autofocus...

But seeing as how marrying those two is not possible, and since good autofocus is important to many of us, the decision becomes more complicated.

It then becomes a question of deciding which system provides you with the best possible quality with the most tolerable sacrifices. Do you sacrifice lens variety/focus performance, or dynamic range and raw detail?

Every time I remember how flexible the D800 shadows are at low ISO, I get the feeling that I should tolerate the shortcomings of the lenses. However, every time I remember how much I don't like the slow 35g focus or the issues with inconsistency and misfocused backlit subjects, or how much I would like to have a great 50mm lens (and how much I dislike the 85g's blah-looking bokeh), I want to dump my Nikon stuff.

Edited on Feb 27, 2013 at 08:01 PM · View previous versions

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:57 PM
akclimber
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Here's my take on the 5D2 & 5D3 vs D800E. I posted it here and on the CanonRumors site a while back. Hope you find it useful:

"I currently shoot with a 5D2, 5D3 & D800E.

First & foremost, at ISO 100 & 200 the image quality of the D800E blows the Canons out of the water - plain & simple. DR and detail are stunning. If you shoot a lot at these low ISOs you can't get better than the D800E's sensor. At those low ISOs, in a high DR scene, a shot that only needs one exposure with the D800 might very well need 2 with the Canon to capture clean shadows. At ISOs 400-800 the DR and IQ are generally about equal with the exception of more details for the D800E. At above ISO 800 the 5D3 starts to pull ahead in DR and maybe noise but I find the noise of the D800E files easier to deal with.

As for AF, I agree with others that the 5D3 has an edge.

As for ergonomics/shooting comfort overall I prefer Canon but not by much. The one design feature the D800E has that's inexplicably missing in the 5D series is a built-in viewfinder curtain. What is Canon thinking? And why neither cam has a flip out, tilting LCD screen is a real mystery.

Oh, and Canons liveview is way, way better than Nikon's.

As for build quality, the 5d3 is better. Same too for shutter noise/feel.

As for frame rate, I kinda like the D800 option of using a 1.2 crop to get 5-6 fps (resulting in a 24MP file) but it takes practice to mentally switch from a full frame POV to a smaller crop.

As for lenses, I've seen a lot of 24-105 vs 24-120 talk in the thread with folks saying the 24-105 is a lot better. I don't agree. I have & love them both for their usability and IQ and find them comparable. As for overall lens line-up, I prefer Canon for its amazing TSE lenses and L quality mid zooms like the 70-300 and 100-400 and 70-200 f/4 IS (but it looks like Nikon is about to announce its own 70-200 f/4 VR). On the wide end, Nikon has the wildly good 14-24 and useful 16-35 f/4 VR. I've rented a 14-24 to use on my 5D2 and wow, it's nice. I opted for a Zeiss 21 f/2.8 for the D800E but am still considering the 14-24 or 16-35 VR since I really like AF and handheld stuff.

As others have pointed out, your choice of body has everything to do with how you shoot and what you enjoy shooting. For ISO 100-200 use, the D800 smokes Canon for image quality and it's about equal up to ISO 800. The 5D3 might be a slightly better general use DSLR but not by much and only if you use higher ISOs and need a little better fullframe frame rate or slightly better low light AF.

If you can, rent one and find out for yourself how it'll work for your needs.

Good luck!

Oh, and BTW, my D800E does unfortunately have the left side AF problem (still need to send it in for repair). But on the other hand, my 5D3 exhibits wild light leak thru the viewfinder when I'm using liveview (really bad - not using the annoying/stupid external curtain isn't an option). Sigh, nothing's perfect.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:00 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password