Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

mdg137
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

With my D800E in the shop for focus issues, I have been ruminating on a switch back to Canon (left in 1995). I find myself considering this only because I have doubts that I can trust the autofocus of the D800E-- and that the 85mm has focus shift, exactly between apertures I use.

Looking for any feedback from other who may have done the same, or can point out something I am not considering. I apologize in advance for the length of the post...

I find myself in the unenviable position of shooting two distinct subjects-- about 55% portraits (nudes) and 35% urban landscapes, with a smattering of other subjects thrown in. Some of my portraits can be seen HERE (absolutely NSFW)

I love shallow DOF, and never print larger than 40x30, but also rarely print smaller than 18x12-- usually, around 20x30.

When shooting portraits I am usually using my 35 f1.4G, 50mm f1.2 Ai-s or 50mm f1.4G, and 85mm f1.4G. With landscapes, usually the 14-24mm f2.8. I never shoot above 180mm.

I am in a position where I could make the switch, and get the canon 14mm, 24 1.4, 35 1.4, 50 1.2, 85 1.2, 100 macro, 135mm f2, and 200mm f2.8, with a pretty minimal outlay of funds, possibly even breaking even.

Ive done some comparisons, including enlarging the images from both cameras to 40x30 (ish)-- There is an obvious difference in resolution of fine detail, but I am not entirely sure how much of that would translate to print.

If I shot one subject or the other, this might no be a quandry.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

i would be using a 5d3 for my portrait work but my only hesitation is when i shoot portraits i like to use spot metering with outer focus points. may not be an issue for you and if not you will love canon. Especially the 85L.

grant

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:14 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

I made the switch about a month ago. My first D800E wouldn't focus properly with any of my lenses, and while the second copy was much better, many of the AF problems are with the lenses themselves - Nikon's quality control is pretty much non-existent.

I used the Nikon gear for a total of about 8 months, with two D800E's, two D600's, and one D700. The D700 gave the most consistent results, but I felt 12 megapixels wasn't enough for landscape shots, particularly when printing large (24x36 inches, in my case). At those print sizes, I couldn't really see much difference in the level of detail captured by the 5D Mark III and the D800E, so I ended up deciding to go back to Canon for the superior AF, more intelligent design (Nikon is still a long way from figuring out what Live View is or how it should work), and much better lens quality and selection. The very limited benefits of the Sony sensor in the D800E don't make up for the camera's poor design and Nikon's overall shoddy build quality.

I figure I can rebuild my collection of Canon and Zeiss glass while waiting for Canon to bring out a sensor with hight DR to compete with the Sony sensors, and not have to spend all of my time trying to calibrate fine-tune lenses.

Edited on Feb 25, 2013 at 02:18 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:17 PM
Jay968

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

I am in exactly the same position. I tried a MKIII a week ago and compared. I shoot a lot of JPGs and found that the Canon over sharpened them in camera to the point that they looked very 'digital' in comparison to those from the Nikon. I also noticed that a lot of fine detail subject matter from the Canon looked kind've mushy, lacking in that fine detail. I did not try RAW and have no reason to believe that it is not a much better choice. However JPG output is very important to me and I decided after doing this comparison not to go this route.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:18 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

mdg137 wrote:
With my D800E in the shop for focus issues, I have been ruminating on a switch back to Canon (left in 1995). I find myself considering this only because I have doubts that I can trust the autofocus of the D800E-- and that the 85mm has focus shift, exactly between apertures I use.

Looking for any feedback from other who may have done the same, or can point out something I am not considering. I apologize in advance for the length of the post...

I find myself in the unenviable position of shooting two distinct subjects-- about 55% portraits (nudes) and 35%
...Show more

Seems to me it's really down to whether you want the extra 'benefits' of the Nikon sensor.

With the size you are printing and the fact you have considerable control over the lighting I'd have to say no, the Canons would do you just fine.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:24 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

jay, did you change your jpg settings in camera? you change the levels of sharpness. you can also set up different parameters as well.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

mdg137 wrote:
With my D800E in the shop for focus issues, Any thoughts appreciated.

fyi: my D800 died recently and i sent it in to nikon under warranty for repair. and i swear they must had done some adjustments to the focus because it is much better in CF mode. they stated they checked many functions and focus was one of them but they didn't say they did anything. however, i can tell a difference so they must have done something.

hopefully your D800e will come back fixed and working as it should. this doesn't alleviate the focus breathing issue with the lenses so canon might be a better option for you.

grant

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:06 PM
robbymack
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

It seems like in a perfect world you'd have both, nikon for landscapes and canon for portraits. If you downsized your lens plans for the canon it's probably possible, maybe just a set of reasonably priced primes, sigma 35, canon 85 1.8, canon 135L?

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:14 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

I can tell you from first hand experience that both cams are very close with the Canon better in some areas and the Nikon better in others. High ISO is close with the mk III just slightly better at 800 and above. The Nikon obviously has more pixel so if downsized it will equal things out. Above ISO 3200 the Canon is better. DR is a win for Nikon at base ISO up to about ISO 400 after that DR starts to equal out. Recovering shadows the canon cannot come close to competing on the other side the highlight recovery to me seems better or maybe it's that the Nikon can tend to blow highlights out more than the Canon. Auto focus is not that close. The MK III is better. All focus points are usable accurate and the camera in one shot just snaps into focus and nails it every time. Servo or continous is about the same yet you can track with the outer points on the Canon. Live view Canon is far better the Nikon implementation is a total joke. Metering slight edge to Nikon in backlit light. WB hands down the Canon wins. It just gets it closer especially when shooting people indoors under mixed lighting. The canon also takes less work and is easier to correct. No odd color cast. Ergonomics is a tie I like both, however the Canon fits my hand better when no grip is used. Overall I love both cameras. The Nikon gets far less use as i use the Canon for everyday shooting including portraits and family shoots. The Canon is more fun to use and feels much more responsive. The 6fps second does not seem like much more but it really helps with sports and kids. The Nikon will come out for landscapes or the times when I will need to crop. Lens selection goes to Canon despite what others may say the Nikon 1.4 lenses just don't perform as well as they should for the price. The autofocus on those lenses are meager at best. I can honestly say you can't go wrong with either camera. But choosing should come down to what you will be using it for. I sold one of my d800 and bought the MK III for the same reason you did the frustration I had getting consistent results was driving me mad. A Camera should just work and I was constantly fighting the autofocus even after the left focus point issue was resolved by Nikon. I just could not trust the camera with consistent critical focus with fast primes.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:29 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Bruce, that is as clear and as unbiased opinion on the two cameras. It carries a lot of weight since it is coming from you as a dual-platform user .

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Jay968 wrote:
I tried a MKIII a week ago and compared. I shoot a lot of JPGs and found that the Canon over sharpened them in camera to the point that they looked very 'digital' in comparison to those from the Nikon. I also noticed that a lot of fine detail subject matter from the Canon looked kind've mushy, lacking in that fine detail.

Jpeg straight out of camera, no sharpening applied:

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF500mm f/4L IS II USM lens    500mm    f/5.0    1/2000s    1600 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:08 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Jay968 wrote:
I am in exactly the same position. I tried a MKIII a week ago and compared. I shoot a lot of JPGs and found that the Canon over sharpened them in camera to the point that they looked very 'digital' in comparison to those from the Nikon. I also noticed that a lot of fine detail subject matter from the Canon looked kind've mushy, lacking in that fine detail. I did not try RAW and have no reason to believe that it is not a much better choice. However JPG output is very important to me and I decided after
...Show more

Just a thought, you could try turning the incamera jpg sharpening down That said, I find 5D3 jpgs terrible and never use them.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:10 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

I agree Bruce. That seems to match everything I've heard and is a very honest view of both.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:18 PM
alvit
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

I do not really understand, why, at this level, use Jpeg format. No arguing, only to know something .

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:39 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

alvit wrote:
I do not really understand, why, at this level, use Jpeg format. No arguing, only to know something .

Speed or sheer volume.

If you HAVE to get something to a client or uploaded really fast or you are taking so many shots RAW processing is impractical.

There is of course one more type of shooter - the one who can't be bothered to process their RAW files.

I have never shot jpeg in a RAW enabled camera, but then I don't do the above types of work

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:46 PM
dunderwood
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Also there's burst speed. I'll often set up a 7D with a wired trigger controlled by a DaQ system. If I have the 7D on jpeg, I know it's shooting at 8fps, and I can correlate pictures to data more easily than if I had it on raw and the speed changed as the buffer filled.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

For reportage portrait/wedding work, the 5d3 is the perfect tool. It's fast. Responsive. Great skin tones. Burst depth is great unless using SD card. File sizes aren't unwieldy (maybe I need a new computer). It just plain works. No fuss no muss. For a working photographer, I want something that I can rely on day in day out. I would hate to come back after a day's shoot only to realize a bunch of portrait shots are OOF. That is not acceptable. My style of photography requires all AF points to be accurate and precise. I don't care how good DR is if images are OOF. That's why the 5d3 is my go to camera - Reliability.

I might think differently if I am a pure landscape enthusiast photographer shooting small Av at infinity. But I'm not.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:10 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

I shoot both and when I get asked I usually steer people to the 5DM3, as I feel it's a better all-around body, unless they already have an investment in the Nikon system in which case I recommend the D800 instead. For your situation it sounds like AF problems are whats driving your decision so I'd just wait until you get your D800 back from Nikon and see how well it works.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:20 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

5d3 is an awesome all round camera, I think the advantages and disadvantages have been listed fairly accurately.

Just note the 50/1.2L has focus shift issues also.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D800E to 5D mk. III? Paralyzed by analysis...

Whodathunk we'd ever see the day people were abandoning Nikon to come back to Canon due to focusing issues.

I might be biased but 5D III is just a damn fine camera even without the benefits of the Sony sensor.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:49 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password