Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2013 · What do you like about Canon?

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · What do you like about Canon?

sandycrane wrote:
Customer service.

Check out how Nikon handles issues:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1193049

That is some weird stuff. Nikon trying to dodge their warranties by using an user caused impact damage corporate directive ? Intercontinental Nikon conspiracy, and a class action suit to be brought against Nikon ?

Canon have also had their own share of service screwups over the years. It happens often that a wronged customer is caught in a "do loop" between a receptionist and a repair technician, where problems seldom find a satisfactory resolution. However, as soon as help is sought from a level in their organisation where there is some authority, problems are usually licked quickly and fairly to the customer.

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:29 PM
M Lucca
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · What do you like about Canon?

I think the current issues with the d800/d600 just exacerbate what has probably been festering within Nikon customer service.
Let's not make this thread about Noink.

As I have always said, photography tech is so good and close these days. You gain some you lose some. Measurebators will stare at charts and brick walls all day. Measurebate till they are blue in the face. For real photographers, it is about the process of creating images. These cameras/lenses are tools for that. What makes or break a business is how the company treat its client base. Right now Canon seems to be better at it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:55 PM
ange
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · What do you like about Canon?

Probably lenses and service. I can't imagine being without my 70-200 f/4. even though it is the non IS version. Affordable, considering the build and quality of what it produces.

Canon service is very responsive too. I can't say I'm thrilled when they fail to properly fix something the first time and 2 and 3 send backs 'are' annoying, but at least they don't balk at trying to make it right. Pretty quick turn around time.

I've tried calling Nikon service for a friend and their customer service people wouldn't even respond to my inquiries...neither the ones made by phone or through the online account.

I like what Canon has done with their P&S line too (A series, G15 and SX). Also, as limited as the optical VF's are, I'm glad they still have them on on some models.

Andy

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:07 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · What do you like about Canon?

I've already posted my positives about Canon lenses upthread.
While I focus on my DSLR and glass collection, Ange (another Andy) reminds me to have some gratitude for my G10

I've had two. It's a little tank with glove friendly knobs, that brings back 14MP RAW shots. I carry it in my briefcase every day, for documenting jobsites, before shots of remodels, etc. It's also an excellent ski or hiking camera. I like to keep it in the cab of the truck when we're out traveling for grab shots when the DSLR is at rest. IQ is good enough for 8x10. I even sold a shot that became a full page to a regional magazine from this little gem. I know the G series continues to improve, but I'm pretty happy with my $250 G10 (bought with 400 clicks from another FMer).

I've got RRS bracket for it, which really armors it up and can be fun with mini-Manfrotto pod.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:32 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · What do you like about Canon?

The dials turn the right way.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Allynb
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · What do you like about Canon?

Been using Canons since 1966. Never had one complaint. They are reliable, well made and innovative. Example, anyone who remembers the F1 system can attest to the intelligent design built into the system. Then the A1, which totally revolutionized the 'modes'....Something which had never been done in a 35 mm film camera.... A digital information display in the viewfinder!
Still shoot with Canon DSLR's today!

Allan

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:58 AM
ange
• •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · What do you like about Canon?

lighthawk wrote:
... reminds me to have some gratitude for my G10... I carry it in my briefcase every day, for documenting jobsites, before shots of remodels, etc. It's also an excellent ski or hiking camera. I like to keep it in the cab of the truck when we're out traveling for grab shots when the DSLR is at rest.... I even sold a shot that became a full page to a regional magazine from this little gem..

Congrats on selling the image from your G10. You make some interesting points. I've been (slightly) kicking around the idea of selling my 17-55 and getting a G15 for wide and then just leaving my 70-200 f/4 on at all times. No lens changing and that would give me a convenient backup camera and money left over.

Andy

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · What do you like about Canon?

lighthawk wrote:
I've already posted my positives about Canon lenses upthread.
While I focus on my DSLR and glass collection, Ange (another Andy) reminds me to have some gratitude for my G10

I've had two. It's a little tank with glove friendly knobs, that brings back 14MP RAW shots. I carry it in my briefcase every day, for documenting jobsites, before shots of remodels, etc. It's also an excellent ski or hiking camera. I like to keep it in the cab of the truck when we're out traveling for grab shots when the DSLR is at rest. IQ is good enough for 8x10.
...Show more

I love my G10 too! Great little camera. It probably ranks as one of the best deals I've ever gotten -- around $115 a year or two ago, used through a refurb outlet on eBay, with charger and extra battery! Bullet-proof little guy. I don't use it as much as you, but I don't take a trip without it as the backup and supplementary camera. Not too big, not too small.

I love Canon's commitment to a wide range of camera types and sizes.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:46 PM
lighthawk
• •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · What do you like about Canon?

ange wrote:
Congrats on selling the image from your G10. You make some interesting points. I've been (slightly) kicking around the idea of selling my 17-55 and getting a G15 for wide and then just leaving my 70-200 f/4 on at all times. No lens changing and that would give me a convenient backup camera and money left over.

Andy

I'm also on the edge of selling my 17-55, since acquiring the sharp, quick (and a tad smaller) 15-85 is.
I've got to part with one or the other.

I think the G10 shines for landscape, and is good for documentary, street; but not action. But I wouldn't see it as a substitute for the IQ of the 17-55. I switch between the 17-55 and the 70-200 f/4is all the time. It's been my standard 'go to' kit for most of my outdoor adventures for the last few years.

I like the Gx series option when I'm going without DSLR.

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:06 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · What do you like about Canon?

Aw, you're hurting me now -- you must know the 15-85 IS is my favorite EF-S lens! I seldom use anything else on my 60D.

Tough choice, but your 17-55 will have to go!

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:15 AM
CalBoy87
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · What do you like about Canon?

The Good:
-huge choice of great lenses
-simple menus
-ISO button location
-C1,2,3, settings
-Live View implementation
The Bad:
-recent prices
-auto ISO, could allow more options
-no flip LCD in FF models
-less DR than EXMOR sensors
-useless button without ability to change its function
The Ugly
-shots with extensive shadow recovery

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:33 PM
ange
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · What do you like about Canon?

Gunzorro, Lighthawk,

You really think the 15-85 is better than the 17-55? Interesting. I hadn't even considered that one. I wish I had. Anyway, I don't need the 17-55 for action, so I'm good there. I mostly use it when hiking in low/poor light,when my non IS 70-200 would struggle a little. I appreciate the point about IQ between the lens and the G15 though.

Right now, my only 'go without DSLR' option is my very old Oly C750. That's what has me kicking around my idea. I love the C750...it has a great lens, long zoom and has served me well, but it's slow to focus, is only 4 mega pixels, non IS and has poor high ISO (or should I say 'no' high ISO) performance.

Now so I won't be hijacking the thread... That's what I like about Canon? Look at the options we have.

Andy

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · What do you like about Canon?

I'm not saying the 17-55 isn't a great lens, and impressive if you need f/2.8. Optically, I don't think there is an argument that it is superior within the EF-S line of lenses. But its not as versatile as the 15-85, which equates to 24-136mm, compared to 27-88mm. That's quite a difference when you are traveling and allows the 15-85 to be your sole lens. My copy has very impressive IQ, and was the main lens I used on an Alaskan cruise (slight use of a Contax Zeiss 50/1.4, could have lived without), plus G10. That was a great traveling set.

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:29 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · What do you like about Canon?

Love the hardware, particularly the following:
5DIII - excellent focusing, even in lower light.
70-200 II - Especially when teamed with 1st item.
35L - Especially when teamed with 1st item.
100-400L Most used lens - dont leave home without it.
600EX RT (recent experience very good using ETTL)
Their FM hardware forum. Good info shared with a generally respectful attitude.

Steve

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:44 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · What do you like about Canon?

When I looked into buying a DSLR, I researched for weeks before going into a shop to buy. I fully intended to buy a D90 but they didn't have one in stock so I folded on the spot and bought a 500D...!

What I like about Canon since then is the ease that I can find relevant information and guidance online, not to mention the much larger second hand market that allows for easy access to lenses and the ability to sell on. Some Nikon forums are members only paid affairs...

Now that I've had a few (3) years to actually appreciate what a camera system actually means, I'm building up to the following setup over the next few years:

35L
50L
85L II
100L IS Macro
135L
24-70L II
70-200L IS II
100-400L or 400L f5.6

Eventually I'll also look into the TS-E lenses... For me Canon ticks all the above boxes, moving elsewhere would involve some sort of compromise...

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:08 PM
Jim Victory
• • • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · What do you like about Canon?

I started using Canon 47 years ago and with all of the back and forth improvements over other brands it has never been necessary to switch. I have been tempted but bottom line is if I can't get the shot with the current equipment Canon offers I need to give it up and play more golf.

This was my first SLR, FT QL, and I still have the AT-1

Jim

Edited on Mar 01, 2013 at 09:52 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:12 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · What do you like about Canon?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
With all of the "this isn't right and that isn't right" threads, it would be good to see what people do like about Canon.

I'll start with lenses. I couldn't imagine doing without:
* 50L
* 135L
* 24-70 2.8 II (which is nothing short of amazing!)

What do you like?

Lenses

User interface

They used to be a company that drove new tech forward

They had the best tech at the times I first moved into each of their DSLR lines, first for AF and later for sensors (the latter certainly isn't true anymore though) and they had had some of best tech in prosumer camcorders years back (the 5D3/1DX may have brought them back a bit above par again for AF after having fallen behind for a while).

For a long time they used to have better prices than Nikon

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:30 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password