Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · What do you like about Canon?

Paul Mo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · What do you like about Canon?

Trust and ease of use.

Like others, I've used many cameras and have used Nikon professionally.

I now prefer Canon because of their ease of use - I don't like modern warty Nikons covered in ports and caps and covers and levers.

Trust, I trust my L lenses will give years of service.

p.s. Often there is little to nothing between Nikon and Canon; it's all about what you are used to. But at times both marques are capable of releasing lemons.

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · What do you like about Canon?

Monito wrote:
I like Canon's long-term system thinking. In 1987, in the face of howls of protest, Canon make a sharp break with its past system and introduced the EOS / EF system as its approach to Autofocus and electronic camera and lens control and integration. Its main competitor chose to use a variety of kludges and hybrids, eventually arriving at something similar to the Canon system some time later.

I like Canon's image quality and colours.

I like Canon's lens systems for breadth and depth.

I like Canon's ergonomics.

After reading the entire thread, I come back to the points that Monito succinctly made, and I agree completely.
There is always room for improvement, but the system works well for me.
I'll add (as others have) that Canon service has gone beyond expectations in helping me (on the rare occasions that I've needed it).

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:44 AM
trumpet_guy
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · What do you like about Canon?

Very good lens line. Easy to use, ergonomic bodies. Their products are in stock and available. Repair service is prompt and good. There's not much I don't like about the EOS line.

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:56 AM
EyeBrock
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · What do you like about Canon?

I originally bought Canon just because they had the biggest lens line-up. I've been happy with the products I've bought.

On a very shallow POV, I think Canon products are asthetically pleasing to the eye. My 5D3 with a 35L on it is a thing of beauty. Why not use a beautiful object to take pictures of other beautiful objects?

Once they start going ugly I'll have to rethink my strategy.

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:08 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · What do you like about Canon?

Paul Mo wrote:
I don't like modern warty Nikons covered in ports and caps and covers and levers.

EyeBrock wrote:
On a very shallow POV, I think Canon products are asthetically pleasing to the eye.

I agree.

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:15 AM
LCPete
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · What do you like about Canon?

For me its the 100L macro an equivalent lens not available with any other maker , the IS really works at 1:1 that's a big deal for me as I do natural light macro and can get away without a tripod
The 100-400L for comes a close second excellent lens and as far as I know no equivalent nikon
Love my 7D too

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:21 AM
Beni
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · What do you like about Canon?

Reasons I'm with Canon:

CPS,
The 5Dc, a real photographers FF camera now pretty much being given away with your breakfast cereal,
All round goodness of 5D3,
The fact that the 5D3 is incredible in the hand (we have a d800e in the studio which is horrible to hold in large hands, it lives on a copy stand where we don't have to hold it thank goodness),
mRAW,
50mm 1.4 (old, cranky and delicate but still better than the Nikon options),
50L (sooooo nice),
24L and 85L, I may have to win the lottery to afford them but I know just how special they are.
85mm 1.8 (incredible lens period never mind for the price),
16-35L (corners not so great but for a wedding or reportage lens there just isn't a current Nikon equivalent),
Flashguns with no overheat shutdown and the ability to change FEC with a turn of the wheel rather than button press turn wheel, shooting weddings where the blacks and whites are changing the FEC constantly it becomes important, it's a nicer wheel too IMO than the Nikon, sometimes it's the little things that count.
Ability to see RGB histo and blinkies on the same screen, the D800 now has this but for a long time strange though it might seem, it kept me away from Nikon,
Alt Lenses, got a tiny Pentax Takumar 50mm 1.4 on my 5Dc at the moment, such a fun lens.

Things I don't like:

5D3's Eye of Sauron, flashing red light seen by subject through the lens when you change focus points or focus, with my 50L it's horribly apparent. Makes the silent shutter I love so much rather redundant .
Crippling of Features compared to the competition. Specifically spot metering and auto iso.
Prices gone rather silly recently.
I would like more DR personally, even just another stop.
The fanboys (not that any other brands are any better, it's just a tool, it ain't perfect and probably never will be, stop saying it is just because you don't understand other photographers needs) .

Feb 26, 2013 at 09:13 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · What do you like about Canon?

Canon's service center under 23km/14miles away from my place. They have great parking and there's a pizzeria at the ground floor. Parking's cheap and easy too.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · What do you like about Canon?

As a Nikon shooter what I like about Canon is that the company isn't tone deaf on what customers want and doesn't play gray market games. Plus, of good camera brands, Canon is #1 alphabetically.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM
dhphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · What do you like about Canon?

dolina wrote:
They have great parking and there's a pizzeria at the ground floor.

By far the best reason I've heard to use Canon

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

aladyforty
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · What do you like about Canon?

L lenses

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:06 AM
ggreene
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · What do you like about Canon?

Like:
- 1D build and feel
- High ISO performance
- Holy Trinity of zooms
- RT Speedlites

Dislike:
- Latest pricing and the rebate games they play
- badly designed viewfinder illumination

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Lan11
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · What do you like about Canon?

I like 3 things about Canon: reliability, quality and support.

The 3 things I hate about Nikon: reliability, quality and support.
Hey, wait a sec. Did i write support? What support?

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM
BFTphoto

p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · What do you like about Canon?

Colors and ergonomics, those are the 2 things. That being said I'm shooting all film right now, but the next digital camera I buy will be a canon..... or a Fuji.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:25 AM
BiggHarry
• •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · What do you like about Canon?

I switched from Nikon film to Canon digital when 20D appeared and never looked back.
I love my 5D3, 70-200 f2.8 II and 24-70 f2.8 II - they are workman's tools.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:30 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · What do you like about Canon?

I like a lot of things about Canon.. but right now, 1DX + 1D4 + 24-70mkII + 70-200mkII + 500mkI w/ extenders is an amazing setup for me.. would love it if the 500mkI was a mkII haha, but i'm nitpicking.

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:43 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · What do you like about Canon?

5DIII 50L 200 1.8L 24-70II

Industry standard video cameras

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:54 AM
lighthawk
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · What do you like about Canon?

Fred Meebley wrote:
Like many other Canon shooters, I love their lenses:
17-55 2.8 IS (With the 2.8 and the IS, it's extremely versatile)
60 2.8 Macro (Amazing optics, sharp and no distortion)
85 1.8 (Cheap, sharp, and fast. Give it good light and it will give you great photos)
135 f2 (Awesome lens in every way possible)
70-200 f4 IS (One of the best zoom lenses ever made and you can buy it used less than a grand)
400 5.6 (Relatively cheap for a 400mm lens, good optics and fast AF)

Canon has many specialty lenses that aren't available from other manufacturers. I can't wait to get my
...Show more

That's a Home Run, Fred. I currently own or have had each and every lens you named. Great minds think alike

17-55 2.8 IS As mentioned, low light performance with advanced IS. Mine is as sharp as a tack. Just wish is had a sturdier build.

60 2.8 Macro Very sharp, and another fast lens. A bargain. http://www.pbase.com/lighthawk/60mm_macro
85 1.8 I had this lens with my 20D and took it to three continents. Sharp, light and affordable. I'm considering adding this lens back. I would love to try it on my 5D
135 f2 I've had the lens less than a year and have gotten some excellent results. Great color, bokeh and the combo of this FL and aperture is simply amazing.
70-200 f4 IS This has been my go to longer tele with amazing pop. I had the non-IS and moved up. Love the size and weight for hiking and traveling. I'll keep this lens.
400 5.6 + 7D has brought home BIF results I never got before. Fast focus.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:37 PM
Hulot
• •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · What do you like about Canon?

I like the large choice of quality lenses, (I hope for a fast 85mm IS) and that I dont have to bother for updating my camera because except for features my 5D2 is just about as good

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:58 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · What do you like about Canon?

Customer service.

Check out how Nikon handles issues:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1193049

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:05 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password