Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · What do you like about Canon?

ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What do you like about Canon?

Lenses is why I went with the 10D over Nikon in 2004.

17TSE
24TSE
24-70 f2.8 mk2.
35L
70-200 f2.8 is
400 f5.6
500 f4.

I don't consider the following to be best in class.
17-40
16-35
24-105

I like the cameras mostly but wish for more pixels and more DR. But 22 mpixels gets the job done.

The 10D and 20D were ok, the 50D better. The 5D was fine but the 1DS3 was a major deal and was king of the landscape hill for a long time.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:51 PM
outlawyer
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What do you like about Canon?

Monito wrote:
I like Canon's long-term system thinking. In 1987, in the face of howls of protest, Canon make a sharp break with its past system and introduced the EOS / EF system as its approach to Autofocus and electronic camera and lens control and integration. Its main competitor chose to use a variety of kludges and hybrids, eventually arriving at something similar to the Canon system some time later.

I like Canon's image quality and colours.

I like Canon's lens systems for breadth and depth.

I like Canon's ergonomics.

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
What I like about canon in 3 words

MAGIC DRAIN PIPE

+100!
Some people will always find complaints with Canon offerings, but the company is A-OK in my book. For all the minor quibbles that may or may not be valid, at the end of the day the images Canon gear produces speak for themselves.
I cannot wait to hook my MDP up to my 6D.

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:07 PM
drcph

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What do you like about Canon?

I like that for all possible shooting requirements, the Canon line-up gives me more possibilities than any other brand, many of which are, or among the, best options around. I like

1) The used market (at least here) is far bigger than any other brand.
2) Among full frame cameras, I have options from a 5D (with a used price near an entry-level cropper) to a 1DX.
3) Cheap, good quality f/4 zooms
4) The choice between the best 24-70 & 70/200 f/2.8 zooms, or a cheaper alternative with slightly worse IQ
5) A wide variety of macros, including specialized lenses
6) Excellent & unique portrait lenses in the 135L & 85L
7) The best TS-E lenses
8) Photo systems I know that professional photographers and photojournalist have used far more extensive and in far more extreme conditions than I ever will
9) A wide range of cheap, used, pro cameras
10) Many excellent third-party lens options, including alt lenses
11) Magic Lantern firmware
12) Fantastic super teles - choice of V1 (excellent IQ) or V2 (even better & lighter).
13) Fast primes - some new, some old, some cheap and some very exotic (50/1.0, 200/1.8)

Shortly, I think that Canon offers the greatest variety and choice of options among any DSLR manufacturer. There are definitely things I don't like that much (like the price tendency of new equipment, especially here in Europe, the tendency to differentiate camera lines by leaving obvious things out and the somewhat dated sensor tech), but all in all the system is excellent.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:15 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What do you like about Canon?

As an overall photographic system, Canon is more complete. Lots of choices and support.
Right now, Canon system works for me and allows me to get the job done.

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:01 PM
Fred Meebley
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What do you like about Canon?

Like many other Canon shooters, I love their lenses:
17-55 2.8 IS (With the 2.8 and the IS, it's extremely versatile)
60 2.8 Macro (Amazing optics, sharp and no distortion)
85 1.8 (Cheap, sharp, and fast. Give it good light and it will give you great photos)
135 f2 (Awesome lens in every way possible)
70-200 f4 IS (One of the best zoom lenses ever made and you can buy it used less than a grand)
400 5.6 (Relatively cheap for a 400mm lens, good optics and fast AF)

Canon has many specialty lenses that aren't available from other manufacturers. I can't wait to get my hands on an 85 1.2, 65 MPE, 17 TSE, and a 40 2.8 pancake. So many choices, so little money.

Edited on Feb 25, 2013 at 08:28 PM · View previous versions

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:17 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What do you like about Canon?

Monito wrote:
I like Canon's long-term system thinking. In 1987, in the face of howls of protest, Canon make a sharp break with its past system and introduced the EOS / EF system as its approach to Autofocus and electronic camera and lens control and integration. Its main competitor chose to use a variety of kludges and hybrids, eventually arriving at something similar to the Canon system some time later.

I like Canon's lens systems for breadth and depth.

I like Canon's ergonomics.

+1

It's great that a lens from 1987 works perfectly on a 2013 body. When I worked in retail in the 90s, it's a point I would often make in comparison to Nikon's various lens iterations and partial compatibility, depending on body, even back at that time. I was also an FD user in the late 80s, so the transition was a bit of a burn, but I saw the benefit of it and was willing to give Canon a chance.

I'll add: Despite having to now pay for membership, I like their improved CPS service and flat-rate repair system.

arize84 wrote:
Dislikes in no particular order:
3. Canon hasn't made a 50mm that is beyond reproach. I have the 50L and I'm not at all satisfied with its sharpness; and for the price the AF should be a lot snappier. A 50mm is the easiest kind of prime to make; there is no excuse for this

Welcome to FM!

Regarding the highlighted point: I used to think this as well. Having spent some time researching 50mm options across the '35mm' format category, I've come to the conclusion this is not the case. f/1/4 and faster 50mm lenses are not easy to make if you want low spherical aberration, no focus shift, high resolution and corner to corner sharpness wide open. They can be made, but are technically challenging and also expensive. Shortly you'll see the Zeiss 55/1.4 come to market as one example of a '50mm' that is beyond reproach. There is also the Leica 50mm f/2. APO. One could argue for the Leica 50mm f/1.4 ASPH at farther focus distances (it's quite amazing at infinity wide open). What you'll note is these are all in the roughly $4000+ range. There's also the recently announced Zeiss ZA 50/1.4 for Sony, which according to the marketing material is supposed to be class leading, at $1500, and might be what many hoped the 50/1.2L would have been. We shall see.

I think many, including me, expected at announcement, that the 50L was going to be a 50mm version of the 85L. It's not. But this doesn't make it a failure - it depends greatly on how one intends to use it.

mttran wrote:
Love everything about canon but the noise

I think the 1DX sounds great!!

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:24 PM
Access
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What do you like about Canon?

I like the userbase, a lot of my friends use Canon, the majority of new users I know are still choosing Canon, I chose Canon way back when (Digital Rebel vs. D70 days) because my dad had a few lenses that I could have / borrow and the price was right.

I've only used their customer service once, they seemed reasonably responsive but one use isn't anything to speak with any authority on. I like the 'L' lenses and I think the branding on the 'L' lenses is really well done from a business perspective.

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:59 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What do you like about Canon?

I like that the EF mount has a shorter flange distance and wider bore than Leica R, Contax/Yashica, Olympus OM, Pentax Screwmount (M42), and Nikon F. Talk about a wide lens selection (but too bad about Canon FD and Minolta)...

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:07 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What do you like about Canon?

Love Canon boxes and have a huge collection of them in my garage.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What do you like about Canon?

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

artd
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What do you like about Canon?

The 24mm TS-EII and the 17MM TS-E.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What do you like about Canon?

I like the fact the measurebators hate us; while they are whining we are out enjoying our great gear.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:42 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What do you like about Canon?

Having shot so many systems I think I have lost count (lie, it is at 11 so far):

Mirror slap - Nikons are freaking loud, at least up to the D700, my last Nikon FF. Comparing my 7d/5d2 vs D300 and D700 there was no contest. D7000 was an improvement at least.

Live view - Canon elegantly uses elec. first curtain, works great for brackets.

Ergonomics - I would rate my 5D3 almost equal in feel and operation to my former A850 or Pentax K20D cameras, high praise from me.

Lenses - I prefer Canon's variety more than anyone else.

Support network - usually top notch.

Camera -- Best overall (cost, weight, capability, performance) camera right now with the 5D3.

Of course there are many things I could complain about but I will stay on topic

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:57 PM
sonofjesse2010
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What do you like about Canon?

It almost a wash for me..both have pros and cons.

To me the Canon 5d mark III and 6D feel much better in the hand than the D600/D800. I htink the 6D just blows away the D600 on feel of my hands. But the D600 smoked the 6D on price and some other things so I"m with a D600 currently and sold my 5d mark III.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What do you like about Canon?

What do I like about Canon ?

I like the quality and ruggedness of their big lens trunks ("suitcases"). They are so well made that even after several years of lens use, the trunks look as good as new, which certainly helps with the lens resale value.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:25 PM
brimull
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What do you like about Canon?

The "feel," or ergonomics to be more concrete. Maybe over time I could appreciate a different style, e.g., Nikon, but when I tried, they never felt right in my hands.

Habit, or my personal tradition.

Repair service quality, turnaround time (even without CPS), and overall reliability that makes the need for repair relatively rare.

Lens system.

Improving IQ at high ISO.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:32 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What do you like about Canon?

shutter sound.

/r
Andy

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:12 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What do you like about Canon?

So lenses seems to be the biggest overall positive. I've said that for a while and totally agree with it.

The latest focusing is clearly popular and service / reliability seem popular too.

A number prefer the ergonomics and the colours and IQ.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:06 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What do you like about Canon?

dhphoto wrote:
Don't know if you've tried a 5D3 but the noise on that thing is incredible.

I shot an event last week at 2000 ISO, the highest I have ever used and had to apply very little NR in Lightroom, astonishing, and I hate noise.

David, no doubt about 5D3 hi-iso noise but low-iso shadows noise is the one i am talking about

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:25 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What do you like about Canon?

AGeoJO wrote:
Michael, have you tried the silent shutter mode on the 5D Mark III ?

Joshua, my 1Ds2 soft shutter is really silent as well yeah, 5d3 is nice ...but i m holding out one more version to trade of better low iso shadows noise

Feb 26, 2013 at 02:27 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password