Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · What makes a great sports picture?

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What makes a great sports picture?

In your opinion, what do you think. It's just something that popped into my head when going through my portfolio. What elements are needed for a good sports picture, interpret it how you wish and make it in your own words. If I wanted to get the textbook definition I would google it, and sometimes the best pictures break the textbook's rules.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:09 AM
ElanKawesch

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What makes a great sports picture?

Clean background, intense emotion, sharp (most of the time).

Damian Strohmeyer, an SI photographer often says that if you can make one sport look like another, you have a good photo.

I'm sure others have more to add, just my $0.02.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:15 AM
ElanKawesch

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What makes a great sports picture?

Now that I've thought a bit more, I should add that I don't think there are really rules to a good picture. Sometimes, you just need to see it to know if it is a great sports photo.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:20 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What makes a great sports picture?

The ones that pop for me involve the following:

A) You can see the player's eyes
B) You can see the puck, ball, etc.
C) Personally, I prefer to see the competition in some way - to show the obsticle they are trying to overcome

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:56 AM
rolette
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What makes a great sports picture?

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1055264/0

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM
luketrot
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What makes a great sports picture?

Any photo someone is willing to pay for is good in my book.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:27 PM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What makes a great sports picture?

Completely subjective as to what is considered a good photo. From my experience, editor/media types, parents/family, and the athletes themselves all have different criteria. It always amazes me what people think is a good photo.

For me, this is what I try for:

1. faces with some kind of emotion/expression
2. ball, puck, etc
3. some element of action or confrontation

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:57 PM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What makes a great sports picture?

Thanks rolette - well worth the read if you guys already haven't

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:07 AM
jspytek
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What makes a great sports picture?

If you search YouTube for this "Scott Kelby's Tips for Shooting Sports - Google+ Photographer's Conference" I found that video to be helpful. Roughly 24,000 views - 300+ 8- about an hour long

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:39 PM
jrash168

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What makes a great sports picture?

To me, a great sports image not only has to have the basics of emotion, action, context, etc., but it has to be composed in a way that it draws you in and keeps you there. In other word, it has to be composed well, like any other piece of art. Sometimes we become so focused on just capturing the peak of action, we forget about how the light is falling on our subject, or the background, or general composition. We have all caught faces, peak of action, etc., but what really separated those shots from great shots.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What makes a great sports picture?

The moment!

Feb 26, 2013 at 04:28 PM
ishootsports3
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What makes a great sports picture?

Its almost a "I cant tell you what it is, but I know it when I see it" kind of thing. Sometimes its about killer clear action with gorgeous light, other times it about pure emotion, other times its about something unusual or even a new look at something ordinary. Often its a combination, if you look at great sports photos they are great as much for what they are not instead of what they are.

Feb 26, 2013 at 05:53 PM
zappahead
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What makes a great sports picture?

+1 on what Luketrot said

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:45 PM
glort
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What makes a great sports picture?

What makes a great sports picture?

A fat Cheque when you sell it.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What makes a great sports picture?

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Steven King
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What makes a great sports picture?

Not to be contrary, but the ball, puck, etc. is NOT required for a great sports photo. All it has to do is to involve sports and be a GREAT image. I'm sure you remember pictures of "The Catch" from the 48ers victory over the Cowboys, but how about Eddie Mathews 500th HR on the cover of SI, or others like it? It's a seminal moment captured in time, period. A great face, eyes, expression are always included in these shots, IMHO, because those are the window into the soul of both the competitor and the viewer, which makes the connection.

Shots that I've taken that exhibit this look like this, but then again I'm biased, these are like my children too. There are many more that are better than these few, I'm sure.

Whaddya think?

Danica

Red Wings sudden victory

Soccer sudden National Championship

Golfing serenity

and of course the "Sportrait" in action

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:34 AM
ggreene
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What makes a great sports picture?

I don't think the ball, puck, etc is required for a great photo it's just something that I try for in action photos. Obviously, it depends on the composition. Who cares about the ball or puck in a celebration shot.

ishootsports3 probably summed it up the best.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:22 PM
ggOk
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What makes a great sports picture?

ggreene wrote:
Completely subjective as to what is considered a good photo. From my experience, editor/media types, parents/family, and the athletes themselves all have different criteria. It always amazes me what people think is a good photo.

For me, this is what I try for:

1. faces with some kind of emotion/expression
2. ball, puck, etc
3. some element of action or confrontation

I think I got the perfect photo
dodge ball~

ggOk 2013

Canon EOS-1D Mark III    EF200mm f/2L IS USM lens    200mm    f/2.0    1/2500s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:31 PM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What makes a great sports picture?

I think it depends on both the sport and level of competition that being shot.

A great sport shot of a 5-year old girl running along a soccer ball that comes to her knees in grass above her ankles is the greatest sport's shot in the world to a parent.

Bobby Hull slumped over in fatigue with his dental plate out and every year of his age showing is a great sport shot.

Mean-Joe Green handing his shirt to a kid who gave him a dring - was a great sport's shot.

Almost any photo taken at the Kentucky Derby "could" be a great sport's shot - even if doesn't show a horse or a jockey.

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:53 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password