Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Ball head -tripod talk

Strobo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Ball head -tripod talk

ben egbert wrote:
This is what I see at B&H, they have 3 Manfretto Geared heads and this is the only 410.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124665-REG/Manfrotto_410_410_Junior_Geared_Head.html

Ok, I get it, you added a RRS plate. I have a spare one around.

You can get a Manfrotto to Arca conversion plate for the 410 from Hejnar Photo. He sells through his website as well as his Ebay store. The conversion plate entirely replaces the Manfrotto quick release and provides a more solid mount than would attaching an Arca style clamp to the rubber-surfaced Manfrotto plate.

The 410 geared head is a bit more cumbersome to use than a ball head, but it lets you make precise adjustments in each axis, something a ballhead cannot do. If you're looking for a lightweight head, the 410 is not it. I'd guess it's about twice as heavy as the Z1.

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Alex Nail
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Ball head -tripod talk

Your proposed setup of a RRS BH40 and a 2531/2541 is exactly what I would suggest. However that setup would be marginal at best for a 400 5.6 (I should know, I have the same setup) and you would need to go to 3 series RRS. I can only use my 400 5.6 when there is next to no wind

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Danny Michael

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Ball head -tripod talk

I had the BH-40 and GT2531 legs. I just sold them both this week and got the BH-55 and GT2542L. The BH-40 was "ok, but not as smooth as I'd like. I've seen many posts from people about buyers remorse with the smaller ballhead and I fall into that category. As for the tripod, it was simply a case of being too small. I'm 6'1". I also got the Markins plate to remove the center column on the GT2542L. Since using the center column seems to be your choosing, then the 2531 is a very nice tripod.

It's all good stuff, but in the end I'm much happier with the BH-55. I will add the BH-40 is much, much lighter if that is a concern.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:23 PM
Glenn NK
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Ball head -tripod talk

Roland W wrote:
The 410 is a pain to use for general photography. You need to level the base in order to make the adjustments work out well and keep the scene level. The 410 is heavy and uses the special quick release plate, so you need to adapt that for Arca Swiss use. And last of all, the 410 is very slow to use compared to a good ball head.

I bought a Manfrotto 410 specifically for flower macro - I used it once.

I very much agree with what Roland has said about it (removed parts about cold weather sticking because my climate is not really cold anytime).

If the head isn't level, the three axis adjustment can be a nightmare For example, if it's not level, iterative adjustments on two axes are required to pan or tilt. And if I had to pan AND tilt, I would simply swear at it.

On the end of a tripod, it would make a great weapon - it's heavy and sharp.

Glenn

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Ball head -tripod talk

Danny Michael wrote:
I had the BH-40 and GT2531 legs. I just sold them both this week and got the BH-55 and GT2542L. The BH-40 was "ok, but not as smooth as I'd like. I've seen many posts from people about buyers remorse with the smaller ballhead and I fall into that category. As for the tripod, it was simply a case of being too small. I'm 6'1". I also got the Markins plate to remove the center column on the GT2542L. Since using the center column seems to be your choosing, then the 2531 is a very nice tripod.

It's all good
...Show more

Nothing weak about my current system, I used it for a 5004,+1.4x and a 1DS-mk3 to get eagles at 10 f or lower using a sidekick. Of course once the sidekick is installed and the cranky ball head adjusted, it moves fine. But this is for landscapes.

I would hate to get a BH55 and have it be as tight as my Acraswiss. I have trouble getting lids off a pill holder. Also, by the time I add a center column to the next series tripod I use up 1/2 of next years travel money.

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Ball head -tripod talk

My current thoughts after reading all the replies are to just stay with what I have. Maybe I will take the Acraswiss apart and clean it. But it was sticky when new. It works fine after you get it loose but that sometimes take a heavy shove.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Danny Michael

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Ball head -tripod talk

The BH-55 is very smooth. It's the ballhead I should have purchased from the start. The BH-40 was odd for me, never could find the sweet spot and it seemed more "jerky" than smooth. After much too much money spent on tripods and ballheads (like most of us), I think I finally found my perfect combination.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:28 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Ball head -tripod talk

Danny Michael wrote:
The BH-55 is very smooth. It's the ballhead I should have purchased from the start. The BH-40 was odd for me, never could find the sweet spot and it seemed more "jerky" than smooth. After much too much money spent on tripods and ballheads (like most of us), I think I finally found my perfect combination.

The Acraswiss is also smooth. The great problem I have is that the ball locks up even when the screw is released. It unlocks with pressure and is fine until it has been in one position too long. I am surprised nobody else has this issue, it was even on the RRS web page several years back.

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:29 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Ball head -tripod talk

What Arca Swiss head do you have Normally they are smoother than the RRS. And only the very old Arca B1 head had this thing. But that head is very old and they have replaced it many many years ago

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:25 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Ball head -tripod talk

I've been using an AcraTech ultimate ballhead for the past ten years. I use a Nikon DSLR with 70-200mm VR on it, along with a Chamonix 4x5 and also a fairly heavy 19th century half plate view camera. In the past I used a Nikon f5 and Nikon 500mm f4 on it. The ballhead has been used on glaciers in Iceland and tropics in Hawaii, and is regularly used in Dakota blizzards. It has never once jammed and locked up. Once you see one, you'll quickly see it's impossible to jam this head. It's very solid and securely holds nearly 30 pounds, yet weighs less than a pound. I use a Gitzo 1325 tripod, which is also at least 10 years old. Tripod & head will likely outlast me.

Kent in SD

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:54 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tama01

Account locked
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Ball head -tripod talk

The Acraswiss is also smooth. The great problem I have is that the ball locks up even when the screw is released. It unlocks with pressure and is fine until it has been in one position too long. I am surprised nobody else has this issue, it was even on the RRS web page several years back.

I have an Arca-Swiss B1 that I've been using for years now without a single unintentional lock up. My heaviest lens is a Canon 70-200mm 2.8, but it also holds my Linhof Technikardan like a champ. It's smooth and rock-solid. I always keep it unlocked, but not too loose, when not in use and during transportation, and certainly never lubricate it. You will harm it if you do.

Edited on Mar 01, 2013 at 08:18 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:46 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Ball head -tripod talk

Without removing it from the tripod, all I can find is "monoball". I think I bought this around 2004 or 2005. I have never lubricated it. but I typically leave it at whatever position last used.

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:47 PM
tama01

Account locked
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Ball head -tripod talk

ben egbert wrote:
Without removing it from the tripod, all I can find is "monoball". I think I bought this around 2004 or 2005. I have never lubricated it. but I typically leave it at whatever position last used.

Thatís what mine is, a monoball. Years back, a version (some units, not all) of the B1 was known to freeze up every now and then. The problem was supposedly eliminated with a refresh and so they identified it with a white/silvery band around the base. The one with the problem has a light greenish band. I would think the Z1 doesnít have this problem, but I canít say. I donít know which one you have, but it sounds like you have a defective one Ö obviously.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Ball head -tripod talk

Yep, mine has the green band. Its not really defective, just a product quirk, like all of the Fords I ever owned had a tendency to overheat.

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:12 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Ball head -tripod talk

tama01 wrote:
I would think the Z1 doesnít have this problem, but I canít say.

Mine doesn't, and I haven't read of it from other Z1 users.

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:54 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Ball head -tripod talk

Danny Michael wrote:

The BH-55 is fairly smooth, but not truly smooth compared to Arca-Swiss and Markins. The BH-55 is a heavy duty head and a fine choice for heavier setups.

EBH

Mar 02, 2013 at 05:00 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Ball head -tripod talk

tama01 wrote:
Thatís what mine is, a monoball. Years back, a version (some units, not all) of the B1 was known to freeze up every now and then. The problem was supposedly eliminated with a refresh and so they identified it with a white/silvery band around the base. The one with the problem has a light greenish band. I would think the Z1 doesnít have this problem, but I canít say. I donít know which one you have, but it sounds like you have a defective one Ö obviously.

Yes some of the old B1 Monoball did freeze up. The Z1 head have never had any problems with that. Otherwise the Monoball was the golden standard for many years. And known as the best ballhead

Mar 02, 2013 at 07:15 AM
brian-smith

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Ball head -tripod talk

Two23 wrote:
I've been using an AcraTech ultimate ballhead for the past ten years. I use a Nikon DSLR with 70-200mm VR on it, along with a Chamonix 4x5 and also a fairly heavy 19th century half plate view camera. In the past I used a Nikon f5 and Nikon 500mm f4 on it. The ballhead has been used on glaciers in Iceland and tropics in Hawaii, and is regularly used in Dakota blizzards. It has never once jammed and locked up. Once you see one, you'll quickly see it's impossible to jam this head. It's very solid and securely holds nearly
...Show more

I'm using an also using Acratech ballhead - it's the best I've ever found:

http://briansmith.com/acratech-gp-ballhead/

Very clever design. In addition to not freezing up, it's designed so that sand or other debris falls out and instead of getting trapped inside the ballhead.

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Ball head -tripod talk

I had an Acratech, different model. It was very smooth and never locked up, unfortunately it also slipped in cold weather when I had a Sidekick and my 500f4 attached. Gave it to my son in law. Probably fine for landscapes.

I am now thinking I will just live with this nuisance. It is a fine ball head when it is not stuck and I always get it unstuck. What I really need is a lighter tripod and a center column. I guess the center column is the biggest thing. I could probably add one to my Gitzo but then it would really be heavy.

Mar 02, 2013 at 05:06 PM
tama01

Account locked
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Ball head -tripod talk

ben egbert wrote:
I had an Acratech, different model. It was very smooth and never locked up, unfortunately it also slipped in cold weather when I had a Sidekick and my 500f4 attached. Gave it to my son in law. Probably fine for landscapes.

I am now thinking I will just live with this nuisance. It is a fine ball head when it is not stuck and I always get it unstuck. What I really need is a lighter tripod and a center column. I guess the center column is the biggest thing. I could probably add one to my Gitzo but then
...Show more

Perhaps you might want to give these guys a call to find out more about the problem. They are the U.S. authorized service center for Arca-Swiss. Good luck.

http://precisioncameraworks.com/Pages/monoball_core.html

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password