Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Som...

igmolinav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Hi,

I don't own a FF camera at the moment. I have given
it thoughts to get one either from Nikon or Canon.
For my shooting, I wouldn't use AF lenses from either
brand. I would be using old lenses from other brands;
you may have already seen what some people are
doing in the alt forum. Most alt lenses have it "easier",
so to speak, with a Canon body: Leica R, Zeiss C/Y,
and even medium format lenses from Mamiya and
Hasselblad. I mean, they don't have to be Leitaxed,
that costs more. One can use an adapter with most
of these lenses. In the case of the EOS 6D, one can
use one of these adapters to focus manually:
http://www.adorama.com/CASEGS.html?utm_term=Other&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflAID021866

What else does a 36 MP camera bring that may be
good enough to take so much attention. Who uses that?
A 36 MP camera, like the D800, and its features. What does it bring the
technology this time, that a camera like the 6D couldn't
deliver. I liked the cut-out of the picture of the little kid.
The reviewer mentions that such a picture could be
enlarged to sizes as big as 6 feet, (or 2 meters), in
total: http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/6d.htm#spex
So, what for may one need 16 extra MP and other
features that this camera has.

Thank you in advance, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Hi Iggy,

You'll get a generally favourable response here. Basically, it'll be like:

Megapixels! We don't need no stinking megapixels!

If you posted this on the N*k*n forum, it'll be:

Yeah! You want Nachos? We got Nachos!

P.S. you tryin' to cause trouble?

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:23 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

As RogerC found out more megapixels makes up for poorer lenses (to some extent).

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:27 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Good going Igor, it is posts like yours which invariably become very popular and well attended on this forum.

However, I believe that Carthage must be sacked.

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:34 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

RobDickinson wrote:
As RogerC found out more megapixels makes up for poorer lenses (to some extent).

There is a bunch of great lens out there that work very nicely with higher mpix cameras. Yeh, a poor lens is a poor lens no matter what camera you attach it to. The latest lens thst Canon has delivered these last two years are all stellar and easily resolve for higher mpix. The Zeiss line of lens are all great. I just don't see this argument standing up. If you want to take advantage of high mpix cameras, the lens are out there for you to use.

Now technique is extremely important as any camera movement is much more critical, but that again is not a crutch...just learn better technique.

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:36 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Hi Iggy,

A simple answer, more pixels = ability to print much bigger, crop you image more, the down-side is your technique and glass must be spot on the best to eek every pixel and sharpness out of those 36mp.

Fred reviewed both the Canon 5D3 with it's 22mp and the D800 with it's 36mp, the IQ for the 20MPs of the 6D will be very close the the 5D3...I'd suggest reading Fred's review to gain some insight.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Warning - cross post!

ref. "Me, myself and my camera..." https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1191854/1#11369136

PetKal wrote:

It's not Donald Sutherland, it's Manius Manilius! I should have known!

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:42 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Not bad, Jim, those years at UCL must have been fruitful.
However, for the phrase notoriety see Cato the Elder.

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:50 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

I am getting the popcorn.... Canon police must be already alarmed and will be jumping in.....sorry, no, already has jumped in !

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:53 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

retrofocus wrote:
I am getting the popcorn.... Canon police must be already alarmed and will be jumping in.....sorry, no, already has jumped in !

Please don't troll.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

PetKal wrote:
... see Cato the Elder.

Who worked for Inspector Clouseau, the Younger.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:13 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Not long ago, I did a silly print experiment. My D800E prints at 240 ppi up to any size I would regularly use. And the prints look good, sharp and detailed. With some knowledge of my printer driver, I know that I can send 720 ppi images to my printer and the printer raster engine will start working on that resolution.

Now, I took my toy camera Pentax Q, and mounted the same lens on that camera and the D800E, and took images of the same subject. Then I cropped the D800E image to the same framing as the Pentax Q image. The math works out in such a way that the Q has 3 times the pixel density of the D800E, meaning that I could print at 720 ppi and get the same print size as the D800E crop at 240 ppi. Guess what. When viewed up close, really close, the Q image looked amazingly more detailed. In comparison, the D800E image looked smeared. The amazing thing was that with 720 ppi density, there was no hint of a digital image of finite resolution. There was the subject, and there were ink dots. I liked that look much better. Even at more normal distances, there was more depth to the high res image. Silly me. I want a 360 MP camera.

That was rather extreme. 360 ppi helps very much in approaching the 720 ppi look. What am I saying? Print sizes and megapixles have a wide lattitude of mixtures. Sometimes it is nice to have finer prints than 240 ppi, sometimes it is wasted.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:14 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

jcolwell wrote:
Who worked for Inspector Clouseau, the Younger.

Jim, leave that one with me, I'll be back after I ponder that link some more.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:24 PM
igmolinav
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

jcolwell wrote:
Hi Iggy,

You'll get a generally favourable response here. Basically, it'll be like:

If you posted this on the N*k*n forum, it'll be:

P.S. you tryin' to cause trouble?

No trouble intended. I just wanted to see beyond megapixels.
I like what you all have shared in the following comments : ) !!!

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

[Status: deflector field at full strength]

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:55 PM
igmolinav
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Hi,

RobDickinson wrote:

Yes, I saw a guy the other day. He had a D800.
I asked him about the camera. He said that it
had a lot of detail! (Any camera with more than
14 Megapixels has quite a bit of detail!). I asked
him what lens he was using. He showed me
a 50 mm. lens. He said it was the simplest
made by Nikon. So, the camera in this case
as well, compensates for the lens!

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:57 PM
igmolinav
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Hi,

PetKal wrote:
Good going Igor, it is posts like yours which invariably become very popular and well attended on this forum.

; ) !!!

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Wait for it. The "other shoe" will soon drop...

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:03 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

jcolwell wrote:

[Status: deflector field at full strength]

(Same here: defecator barriers fully erected.)

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:06 PM
igmolinav
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Hi : ) !!! - Sometimes technology is on your side, other times not - Some 12MP less and ...

Hi,

chez wrote:
There is a bunch of great lens out there that work very nicely with higher mpix cameras. Yeh, a poor lens is a poor lens no matter what camera you attach it to. The latest lens thst Canon has delivered these last two years are all stellar and easily resolve for higher mpix. The Zeiss line of lens are all great. I just don't see this argument standing up. If you want to take advantage of high mpix cameras, the lens are out there for you to use.

Now technique is extremely important as any camera movement is much more critical,
...Show more

Yes, as I saw the 50 mm. lens with the D800, I also thought that it was a very good camera that could make some use of a better lens. Canon lenses are very good. I particularly like the 24-70 mm f/2.8 which is even more compact than the Nikon version. I don't have a "crane" in my arms, so that makes it atractive : ) !!! As far technique goes, I need to develop myself further in portraiture and posing of the person, in light for portraiture, and since photographing people, in doing some photoshop!

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:09 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.