Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Technique question

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Technique question

It's a little late since basketball is now over, but is there a simple way to switch between two bodies quickly. I won't be doing it with the upcoming baseball season because I don't have 2 lenses that would really be needed. During basketball I would Have a 7D with a 70-200 and a XTi with a 50 on it. For basketball breakaways I would always be slow on pulling up my XTi to get the layup after capturing the first part of the breakaway. I sat cross legged with my unused body on my lap and then one handed the second body to get the quick shot. It still seemed a bit slow. Is there an easier way to do this?

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Technique question

Well for me it's a 300mm f/2.8 on one body and a 70-200 on the other, so I'm thinking you shouldn't be having much trouble making the switch. For one thing, if a fast break was coming at me and I was holding the 70-200, I'd just shoot the break with it rather than trying to make the switch. As for the more predictable flow of the game, I keep one in my lap and one on the floor to the right of me, positioned so I can pick it up in portrait mode and fire as necessary. The 300 is the one that stays in my lap when I'm not using it, sort of upside down so when I grab it, it's in the position I need it to be in (on a monopod, so maybe this helps); the 70-200 is the one on the floor. Other than a lot of practice, I don't know of any way to be quicker. And just for the record, I find this switching to be much quicker/easier than when shooting soccer, standing and trying to manage a long lens on a monopod and a shorter lens on my shoulder.

Feb 24, 2013 at 08:00 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · Technique question

Russ Isabella wrote:
For one thing, if a fast break was coming at me and I was holding the 70-200, I'd just shoot the break with it rather than trying to make the switch.

I tried shooting the fast breaks with my 70-200, but with the crop of the 7D it is just too close and I don't get the full picture that I would like.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Technique question

Understood. Believe me, I know the feeling of being handcuffed by the unexpected and missing the play as a result. What has worked for me (though not perfectly, which I don't believe is possible) is to always set the cameras in the 'ready' position in the same place, so that no thought has to be devoted to the switch. Easy enough at the start, so it's sticking with it throughout the shoot that's the trick.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Technique question

Any chance of putting one camera on a tripod with a remote to shoot the breakaway? I have used that to cover second base when shooting batters in softball.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #6 · Technique question

Highly advise against ever putting a camera on a tri-pod for hoops. Obviously I don't know the layout of your gym, but you are asking for broken gear (at best) and a lawsuit at worst if a player dives for a loose ball and tumbles into or through your tri-pod, camera and lens. Simply too cumbersome and dangerous. On a second level or balcony where there are no players (and no fans), it's is simply too short for close-ups. As a remote clamped to a backboard (with safety cables) that might be a much better option.

Here's what I am struggling to understand -- why are you shooting the "beginning" of a break-away? To me, that is rarely a compelling image. There may be some really nice defensive plays, but as soon as that has happened, make the switch -- then wait for the action to get close enough to use your second body with the 50. With such a short focal length, a shot at the mid-court, the three point line or even the foul line will not be tight and likely will need to be cropped.

Make sense?

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password