Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Is It worth upgrading

ard-tullaich

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is It worth upgrading

have a canon eos 1ds mk2 and a eos 1dmk2n is it time to upgrade ?

I'm used to pro bodies and love the weight and balance of them. So I would be looking at 1dx or a 5Dmk3 with grip if the have sorted the ergonomics of the bolt on grip, had one for the 20d and it was just like holding a brick very poor design i thought batteries in the wrong way round for a start. I only have L lenses and a tamron 180 mm macro so i have quality glass.

I don't shoot as a pro I'm stricktly ameture but prolific.

I don't think i could sell my pro bodies they are both mint and low shutter counts and i think they would be worth more to me than the 1500 plus i would get for them .

Any one had this problem and which way did you go?

Should i upgrade? is it worth it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Is It worth upgrading

pick up a clean used 1D4 unless you have to have a NEW 1DX, or can afford it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · Is It worth upgrading

Why would you want to upgrade? Is it just 'new gear itch' or is there something you want to do that your current gear can't do for you? In other words, is your current gear holding you back?

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:10 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Is It worth upgrading

Dave_EP wrote:
Why would you want to upgrade? Is it just 'new gear itch' or is there something you want to do that your current gear can't do for you? In other words, is your current gear holding you back?

+1, unless you want hi-iso and video. I would wait couple years for more sensor option

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Is It worth upgrading

The right time to upgrade is a very personal thing. I've kept on the EOS bleeding edge for the last three or four years, because I've been pushing the capability of my gear; cameras in particular. Now I'm good with a 1DX and 1DIV, with a 5DII in reserve. A second 1DX and a 5DIII would be useful in some circumstances, but I'm OK.

Technology has come a long way. The step from Mk II to Mk III EOS bodies was a natural evoluvtion at the time, but it established a new generation for basic user interface procedures, battery capability, and computer interface. The Mk III bodies also have incrementally better per-pixel IQ, more pixels, slightly improved AF, an AF microadjust capability, and much better ISO performance at 1600 and 3200. The prices of 1DsIII and 1DIII bodies have fallen dramatically in the last year, especially the 1DsIII. ( )

The cost for stepping from Mk II to Mk III 1D-series cameras is now relatively low. Only you can decide if you want to take the step.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #6 · Is It worth upgrading

I agree with Jcolwell, the right time to upgrade is a very personal thing.

Technology has evolved very fast if you consider how fast digital has evolved compared to speed that film bodies did.

You can end up chasing technology forever. There is always going to be something new.

Previously when I was with Canon I shot the 1D, 1DMKII, and 5D bodies. Since I now am transitioning back, I looked at my resources and what was available and decided the 1D Mark 4 offered me quite a bit for the money. Of course I would love to have the 1Dx. One day I am sure I will own that camera or possibly the one released after it. At one point, I was on the cutting edge and bought the new bodies when they were released, but at this point in the game, at least for me, it's no longer necessary.

So you can decide what you can live with and what you cannot. If you gear is getting the job done and you are happy then stick with it. If not and you are pushing your gears limits, then maybe you should consider upgrading.

Bottom line is that you have to be comfortable with what you shoot and it has to get the job done for you.

Jason

Feb 24, 2013 at 08:09 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #7 · Is It worth upgrading

I recently upgraded from 5d to 5d3 and couldn't be happier. It was an improvement in every category. I am glad I didn't go for 5d2. In my case every cent extra was well worth it. If you can afford it, go for the best you can and don't look back.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Is It worth upgrading

If you are dissatisfied with your results now, then you should consider upgrading. If not, tough it out till the next round..

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Is It worth upgrading

I think Jim made a very good case for why to update, even to the next gen higher than you own.

You don't need to be dissatisfied with your current gear to upgrade. You only need to want better features, handling, reliability and IQ. If you don't want those things, then no, you should stay put.

But from the stage of equipment you own to the current models, you obviously know there is a lot of technology and resolution you are missing out on. You should rightly have plenty of reason to investigate upgrade.

I agree with Jim that the 3rd gen series 1D3 and 1Ds3 are the best values right now for price vs. features/IQ. The 5D3 offers pretty well the top current technology at a reasonable price. My suggestion would be to buy the 1D3 for its crop and action features, and the 5D3 with grip for full frame high IQ. Another good intermediate upgrade is the 5D2, plus the 1D3.

Good luck deciding!

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:15 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password