New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 1D3 questions

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D3 questions

OK guys a couple of Mk3 bodies have cropped up for sale and the prices are starting to look much more inviting.

so a few questions about the 1D3

Whats the buffer like when writing RAW+Jpeg to 2 different card slots?

what are the FPS options? is it like my old mk2n where you either had full (8)fps or a real slow 3ish FPS?

whats the shutter durability like? I know how many actuations its rated for but i also know from being on here alot how many Mk2 series shutters seemed to die very early in their life (and then even the replaced ones dieing again far to early)

Im sure I will come up with mor Q's later
cheers in advance

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:28 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D3 questions

Hi Ian,

The 1DIII has two continuous fps settings. By default, they're 3 fps and 10 fps. You can redefine either or both to; (low) 1 to 9 fps), and (hi) 2 to 10 fps.

The buffering capability is not as good as the 1DX and 1DIV, but it's way better than the 1DII. I generally streamed both RAW and small fine jpeg to the CF card. It was rarely a limit, although I switched to large JEG only, on a few times for motocycle racing - lots of bikes at high speed, in rapid succession. I normally kept the SD card unused for when I failed to be aware of how much space was left on the CF card ...

Shutter durability is as shutter durability does. It's a very robust system, but that's no guarantee that it won't fail on click one. At least, it's still serviced.

You should download the manual. Canon Canada and US both have it online. I can send you one by email if you have problems.

Cheers, Jim

P.S. you won't miss the FireWire connection.

[edit, what edit?]

Edited on Feb 24, 2013 at 02:51 PM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:12 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D3 questions

Thanks Jim ,

Good to know.

Sounds good to be able to reprogram both the L and H fps settings. Personally I'd probably choose 6 & 8 but its nice to have the options.

I ditched the FireWire connection ages ago. I had a mk2n (twice) but got rid of my last one in favour of my 7D .

As for the shutter, well yeah I know on all of theses things the next click could be the last. But I will say I see many less 'my shutter's died' and 'what's this line on my image' threads in relation to the mk3 than the old mk2 bodies .

I'm still going to keep the 7D (its a fine camera)

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D3 questions

Oh carp!

It always happens. I do the last edit just at the same time as the next reply is posted. Darn. I'll pull the edited comment out of above and put it here, so you won't miss it.

... funny how some things seem to come in clusters. I subsequently posted some more comments in another current thread, that might be relevant. The longer you think about something, the more ideas you might come up with.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1192448/0#11371786

P.S. You're welcome.

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:51 PM
ICee
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D3 questions

I find the adjustable fps useful as I think that sometimes the camera at 10fps is too fast for its own good.
I shoot just raw to a 600x cf card and can get about 30 frames before the camera slows.

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D3 questions

jcolwell wrote:
Shutter durability is as shutter durability does. It's a very robust system, but that's no guarantee that it won't fail on click one.

[edit, what edit?]

of all the the canon bodies i owned over the years i found the 1d2 to be the worst when it came to the shutter. i had three different bodies and two shutters failed under 60k actuations. i know others had similar issues.

no problems for me with the 1d3.

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D3 questions

Buffer is better than the IIn not as good as the IV and of course not in the same universe as the Dx. Never had any need to modify FPS as the 3 and 10 worked well for what I shoot. The trick is teaching the finger to feel how many shoots you are putting in a burst.

All 1D shutters have very high MTBF ratings, but of course this is a statistical construct not an actual measurement. That said they seem quite robust.

Current pricing makes them one of the better deals around for someone in search of a robust high performance camera. As for further possible questions, I preferred the IIn IQ to the III, but that's utterly subjective. ISO is improved. It's the next generation. Not a radical break from its predecessor, but across the board improvement.

Robert
(I've owned all the 1D except the first one and the latest.)

Feb 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.