Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Crude

toddlambert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Crude

Crude

Not sure if this works or not, but I saw the moon shadow and knew I had to play around with it. Was lucky to be at the right spot at the right time.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:40 PM
blueshadows
• • •
p.1 #2 · Crude

Todd, I like it...it's creepy in a nice way! Time's arms reaching out to reclaim the rusted remnants of civilization, or something similar.

I "might" crop a bit from the left, same to the right to eliminate the sliver of shadow running along the edge. You're already playing around with "reality," so why not?

You've become a proficient night owl!

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:45 PM
toddlambert
• • •
p.1 #3 · Crude

Thank you!

yeah, this is completely uncropped here, as I shot it. There is a star that I lose, if I crop (Hey, I was fighting for every star I could get and keep this framing! lol ).

I actually used 1deg of tilt on the left side and about 5 degrees of shift downward. I was trying to keep everything either pointing at the car, or not visible at all. The plane of focus is right behind the unbroken headlight.

I guess I could crop here, as it certainly doesn't add that much to the image and the old adage, if it's not adding, then it's subtracting comes to mind here.

Is the branch and the trunk being visible detract too much? I was trying to give the viewer an explanation of what they were seeing, and not dismiss as a photoshop layer clumsily laid over the top. I lined the branch up with the skyline in order to not break the lines.

Does that work for you?(editing to add that did not mean to be smartass in any way. I'm genuinely wondering if the story is being conflicted with too many elements?

Sorry :-)

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:28 PM
astro-ep
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Crude

Definitely works. It does have the "creepy" factor, with the tree branch shadows reaching for the car.

Cool shot, for sure.

Eric

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Phildan
• •
p.1 #5 · Crude

Todd,

although unable to analyse why I like it, I can nevertheless say that I like it. Nice work. I would too crop a bit to the right hand side.

Phil.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:04 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Crude

Hey Todd,

That is very creative. I like that shadow in the foreground, pretty cool. I would only crop a bit off the right side to lose that small bit of shadow on that edge, maybe go for a 4:5 format crop.

Jim

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:35 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Crude

shadow foreground and light make it feel spooky - nice composition

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM
toddlambert
• • •
p.1 #8 · Crude

Thanks Ya'll.

I've re-cropped the trunk of the tree off in the right corner, since it seemed to distract many of you. I think it works better now, thanks!

I have another lower version, without the tree branch, but honestly, I think it needs the branch in order to keep the image believable. (I'm afraid many will see it and think the shadow is just photoshopped in). Is this a valid concern?

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:11 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password