Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

jkhalifa
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

Hi all,

I shot basketball for the first time the other day. I was shooting for a publication that covers my alma mater, Northwestern. My goal was to get one printable stock shot of each player (this was the request), but next time I plan to broaden my focus more. I recognize that I have plenty of room to improve - any C&C or general tips are welcomed.

The undermanned 'cats fell 62-41 to the Illini, by the way. Not a lot of offensive action for NU. All shot with 5D III + Canon 70-200 (the original). No strobes, as only the house photog can use the strobes at Welsh-Ryan Arena.

Justin

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens    125mm    f/3.2    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens    98mm    f/3.2    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens    105mm    f/2.8    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens    100mm    f/3.5    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L USM lens    190mm    f/3.5    1/500s    3200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:06 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #2 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

Here's what I see....

1. On this monitor, the images are pretty badly underexposed. I am a Nikon shooter -- and the Canon guys can speak more accurately here, but the 5d Mark iii can shoot WAY higher than ISO 3200. Looks too me that you probably should have been in the the ISO 6400-8000 range to shoot ambient (depending on how fast you want the SS to be.)

2. White balance is all over the place. I know the purple paint is tough when it reflects off the white jerseys -- but some work in post is needed to clean these up.

3. Why are you using so many different aperture settings? I can understand if need the extra depth of field to show something in the foreground or background. If you were trying to shut it down to get some extra sharpness, I don't see it with these shots. Other than number 4, all of them look soft to me.

If you want to chat more about it, shoot me a PM. Be happy to talk shop any time -- especially shooting hoops.

Rick

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:33 PM
jkhalifa
• •
p.1 #3 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

Thanks a lot, Rick - much appreciated. I'll try to incorporate your feedback for my next time out this week.

Justin

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:19 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #4 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

I thnk Rick is spot on, I am a Nikon shooter also so not sure what that camera can do. 1 looks like it has way to much NR done it it. I have found that 1/640 is the slowest I want to shoot basketball and it's better to overexpose and bring back than under and push. Hope this helps..if you can shoot a custom WB or shoot K this might help also. I think basketball is difficult with the lights and everything anyways but you can still get them close.
Shane

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:40 PM
jkhalifa
• •
p.1 #5 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

Thanks, Shane. The camera should be plenty capable, so any issues are on me

I'll aim for 1/800 f/2.8 ISO 6400 next time out. Hopefully that gets things a little sharper and better exposed. And I'll work on my white balance... definitely something I haven't done much with (shooting nature and urban ruins for the most part), but I will try to figure that out.

Justin

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Girton

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

As far as shutter vs. ISO, that can depend on the arena, too. I shoot the University of Louisville in the KFC Yum! Center and it's pretty bright in there compared to a gym. Just watch your meter, do some chimping during the time outs and you can make adjustments on the fly. And I agree with Shane: shoot a custom white balance. It really helps improve your shots.

That's f/4, 1/800th, ISO 3200. When I shoot with my f/2.8 lenses, I can get down to ISO 1600

Mar 12, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

shaneroper wrote:
... it's better to overexpose and bring back than under and push.
Shane

I agree with this. I have seen the results of trying to push high ISO vs shooting a little hot and bringing it back, and shooting hot is better by far. It will help with the noise a bunch too. I am of the opinion you should get the shutter speed where you need it, and let the ISO fall where it may. I shoot 6400 and higher quite a bit for volleyball and basketball on a 7D. Yeah, I get some noise, but at least I get something!

As others are saying, post is very important, especially if you aren't getting your WB exactly right in camera. I am using LR3 for 99% of my post work.

I guess I should show some work, since I am talking like I actually know something! I will beg off for now since I am on lunch break at work...

Keep shooting, chimp when you get the chance. You will start to know by look/feel when the shot is OOF, etc. as soon as you push the shutter.

As you said, it is much different than landscape! Good luck!

Paul

Mar 12, 2013 at 06:39 PM
dmwierz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

Justin, you've gotten a lot of input on the exposure, so I'll leave that mostly alone. I've shot a lot of basketball at WRA, and know it's a DUNGEON, and the white balance is pretty challenging, to boot.

First off, you did pretty well capturing action. Suggestion: number your shots to make 'em easier to critique.

1: good face, but the shot is soft. Also, if you're shooting for iso-stock, the other player's hand isn't optimal.

2: Better from a sharpness standpoint, but still not tack sharp, and it should be. Cutting off the edge of the ball isn't the best, and neither is chopping off Abrams' left hand.

3. Better iso shot. Might be improved if Alex were looking in the direction of the camera.

4. Pretty standard jump shot stock image. Would be better without Griffey in the foreground.

5. Best iso-stock shot of the bunch, but like the rest, not as sharp as it should be.

1/500s is about as slow as I'd ever consider shooting NCAA basketball. Like mentioned above, don't be afraid to bump up the ISO to 6400 and speed up your shutter to somewhere around 1/800s or so (these shots are a bit underexposed).

Hope this helps.

Mar 12, 2013 at 07:04 PM
jkhalifa
• •
p.1 #9 · NCAA Big Ten Basketball - Northwestern vs Illinois

Thanks a lot, everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. I've shot one more game since this post (NU vs OSU), so I'll post those up tonight... and then I'm heading to the B1G tourney tomorrow (assuming my camera gets back from Canon tomorrow as promised)!

Justin

Mar 13, 2013 at 08:10 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password