Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

rjk55425
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

I have had this camere since it came out and nearly always shoot in high speed mode, using the Nikon battery grip with the 8 AA battery pack. For some reason, it will only allow me to capture 2 frames at a time, even when the camera is set in high speed mode. It does this regardless if I have the standard battery in the body. The top dial is set to CH yet it gives me 2 frames, while it does the exact same in CL, even though I have the menu setting from CL set on 7 frames. The camera recognizes the battery grip just fine and when I hit the Info button on the back of the body, it verifies the body is set for 8FPS. Have tried multiple sets of AA batteries.

I have never seen this happen before, any insight on what might be causing this is appreciated.

Randy

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #2 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Does it show the buffer as having more than 2 frames available? Have you tried a different card?

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:12 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

How does it shoot without the battery pack. Can you get the full 5fps?

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:16 PM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #4 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

I have tried a couple cards. 2 FPS in both raw and jpeg. How do you check the buffer please?

On the battery, I am saying that no matter which battery I try, either:
in body
in body + AAs in grip
none in body + AAs in grip

performance is same regardless of whether in CL or CH, can only get 2 frames when I hold down the shutter.

Feb 24, 2013 at 03:25 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #5 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Any chance you have the exposure delay turned on?(custom setting d9).

To check buffer, half press shutter and the shots remaining will show on the top lcd and inside the viewfinder. It'll look like [r16] this tells the number of shots "r"emaining.

I don't believe it's a battery or card issue, because even if you had a battery issue, you would still get 5fps. If you had a poor performing CF card, you would still get your buffer of 16 or so NEFs, it would just be slow to save the buffered shots after a burst.

Leaving the AAs in the grip and no battery "in" the body is the right approach to troubleshoot.

You have some simple setting limiting you.

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:18 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

And check to see if you're in 12 bit or 14 bit RAW

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:33 PM
mfletch
• • •
p.1 #7 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

NightOwl Cat wrote:

14bit RAW will only slow down the D300 and D300s. The D700 will zip along at 8fps in 14bit.

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:45 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

NightOwl Cat wrote:

It should show in the viewfinder that the FPS has been reduced for 14-bit.

I'd also do a green-button reset...

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:55 PM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #9 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Try removing the grip too when you do in-camera battery to see if you get 5fps.
Also, there is a setting to specify which battery to drain first (grip or body) as well but I don't think that is it.

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:12 PM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #10 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Guys, I have checked all these suggestions and the problem persists. The buffer shows plenty of room.

Not only is the frame rate well below what it is supposed to be, when I hold down the shutter, I get exactly 2 frames and thats it. The only way to get more is to release and hold it down again, getting 2 more frames that time too, etc.

I appreciate all the input but might have to send it in; I don't think I did any changes to the camera to cause what it is doing. I do put it in single servo single shot mode occasionally but it always went back to high speed mode when I changed it backed.

Randy

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #11 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Just a guess, do you have one of the bracketing modes accidentally turned on? It sounds like it's doing a programmed response.

Kerry

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:45 PM
james.d53
• •
p.1 #12 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

rjk55425 wrote:
Guys, I have checked all these suggestions and the problem persists. The buffer shows plenty of room.

Not only is the frame rate well below what it is supposed to be, when I hold down the shutter, I get exactly 2 frames and thats it. The only way to get more is to release and hold it down again, getting 2 more frames that time too, etc.

I appreciate all the input but might have to send it in; I don't think I did any changes to the camera to cause what it is doing. I do put it in single servo
...Show more

Sounds like it's time to send it to Nikon!!!

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:29 AM
james.d53
• •
p.1 #13 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

rjk55425 wrote:

I appreciate all the input but might have to send it in; I don't think I did any changes to the camera to cause what it is doing. I do put it in single servo
...Show more

Sounds like it's time to send it to Nikon!!!

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:32 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #14 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

What shutter speed are you trying to shoot at? You will need to be at a pretty high speed to get 8 fps.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:38 AM
rjk55425
• • • •
p.1 #15 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Not set to bracket. I generally shoot 1/500 or faster. Not sure why the SS would matter. I have over 90K frames on this body with a high percentage of the shots when using 8 FPS mode and I have never seen shutter speed make this type of difference.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:54 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

3rd party battery grip??

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:37 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #17 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Whatvwas the shutter speed of the last two pictures you tested?

We have to discount totally this. If shutter speed is 1/2 second you will only get two shots.

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:56 AM
Paul.K
• • •
p.1 #18 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Have you done a camera reset? What happens if you program the camera in self-timer mode to take more than two shots at a time? Do you have a cable release that you can try holding the shutter in with?

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:04 AM
Chris Dees
• • • •
p.1 #19 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

If you push the info button you'll see the FPS on the screen.
It should be 5FPS without grip and 8FPS with grip and the right batteries.

Like Paul.k I would suggest a factory reset (after saving the settings).

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #20 · d700 won't shoot in high speed mode (8FPS)

Paul and Chris - if you read the thread, the OP has said the window shows him the FPS he expects, but it is shooting 2 frames. I also suggested the reset and he's responded that he tried that.

Randy - doesn't Nikon have 24x7 Tech Support? I don't know how good those guys are, but worth a shot before you send it in. 'Course, there's nothing wrong with a good factory CLA at that mileage...

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:44 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password