Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 5DIII tracking tips.

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 5DIII tracking tips.

I tried (key word, "Tried") to photograph my grandson at the skateboard park yesterday. I did pathetic!!! Can anybody share your in-camera setup for "Action Sports" ? I realize I need practice, but I got 12 keepers out of 200. Any and all help would be appreciated.. My setup was:: 5DIII, Canon 300 F2.8 IS; 580 II Flash / Better Beamer; St-2e; ISO 800 / 1600 / 2000; Handheld, interior, florescent lighting. Thank you, Jim (images not worth posting)

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #2 · 5DIII tracking tips.

hard to comment without seeing the results - what was the aperture and shutter speed (you shared the ISO).

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 5DIII tracking tips.

Kenneth Farver wrote:
hard to comment without seeing the results - what was the aperture and shutter speed (you shared the ISO).

The results was "Motion Blurred". The aperture was 2.8 with a shutter of 1/60 (Too slow). I assume the 1/60 was set automatically because of the flash. Not sure why. How do I use the flash for fill and get the shutter speed up??

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:53 PM
hondageek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · 5DIII tracking tips.

What was the problem with the photos? Were they out of focus? Exposure problems? I can tell you from first-hand experience that your gear choice is going to make it really difficult. The 300 is really long for indoor skateparks. I would go with a shorter lens like a 70-200, ISO 6400, f/2.8 or faster, correct wb, and you should be ok. Maybe bounce your 580 off the ceiling if you need a bit more light. Your proximity to your subject will play a part in tracking also. The closer you are, the harder it will be to keep the focus point on him. Try setting your focus point to have surrounding points active, and set the AF mode to the standard setting (first one in the menu). Skaters don't move very fast and it's pretty easy to predict their movement.

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:03 PM
ESC in KC
• • • •
p.1 #5 · 5DIII tracking tips.

oldrattler wrote:
The results was "Motion Blurred". The aperture was 2.8 with a shutter of 1/60 (Too slow). I assume the 1/60 was set automatically because of the flash. Not sure why. How do I use the flash for fill and get the shutter speed up??

You guessed it - shooting at 1/60 won't freeze it. For action, consider Tv at 1/500 and jack up the ISO to achieve it without flash if possible. If you are using flash use high speed sync if shooting faster than 1/250 shutter.

Good explanation here: http://www.rpphoto.com/howto/view.asp?articleID=1026

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hondageek
• • •
p.1 #6 · 5DIII tracking tips.

...also, make sure the camera is in Servo mode. Obvious, but you never know.

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:05 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 5DIII tracking tips.

hondageek wrote:
What was the problem with the photos? Were they out of focus? Exposure problems? I can tell you from first-hand experience that your gear choice is going to make it really difficult. The 300 is really long for indoor skateparks. I would go with a shorter lens like a 70-200, ISO 6400, f/2.8 or faster, correct wb, and you should be ok. Maybe bounce your 580 off the ceiling if you need a bit more light. Your proximity to your subject will play a part in tracking also. The closer you are, the harder it will be to keep the
...Show more

Thank you. The problem was motion blur; Exposure was very close and corrected with +1 EV; I will try the 70-200 next time, but mine is an F4 IS; The lighting was so bad that the facial shadows obscured all detail. Could have improved in PP but was hoping to get it right in camera. Again, thank you, Jim

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:44 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 5DIII tracking tips.

ESC in KC wrote:
You guessed it - shooting at 1/60 won't freeze it. For action, consider Tv at 1/500 and jack up the ISO to achieve it without flash if possible. If you are using flash use high speed sync if shooting faster than 1/250 shutter.

Good explanation here: http://www.rpphoto.com/howto/view.asp?articleID=1026

High speed sync & TV. I will give it a shot. Thanks, Jim

Feb 24, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 5DIII tracking tips.

Ditch the flash, use Tv mode, set a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000 at least and set auto ISO and let ISO fall where it needs. 5D III is damn good at ISO 3200-8000. High seed sync will allow the high shutter speeds but you lose a stop of flash power for every stop faster than the sync speed of 1/200, so you may get very little benefit, although high ISO will help.

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:19 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 5DIII tracking tips.

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Ditch the flash, use Tv mode, set a minimum shutter speed of 1/1000 at least and set auto ISO and let ISO fall where it needs. 5D III is damn good at ISO 3200-8000. High seed sync will allow the high shutter speeds but you lose a stop of flash power for every stop faster than the sync speed of 1/200, so you may get very little benefit, although high ISO will help.

Whayne; Thank you. I will give it a shot. Jim

Feb 25, 2013 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password