Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Finally Getting in the Door

SThom3095

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Finally Getting in the Door

Hey!

So, I've been wanting to get into photography some time, but have never had the money to do so.

I have finally been able to get some money gathered up. I have been doing a lot of research, and have some ideas about what I want, but I definitely want to get the opinion of people who have been doing this for some time.

I have $1000 to spend, and would like to get a decent starter kit. What do I buy?

Thanks

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:46 AM
onegreatcity
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Finally Getting in the Door

Hey, welcome aboard! I think the question you'll likely be asked before many offer suggestions is simply: what do you like or intend to shoot? $1000 is a nice place to start for a beginner kit but specific suggestions will likely flow from some expressed area of interest. Good luck and have fun...
-Cam

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:48 AM
SThom3095

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Finally Getting in the Door

Landscape and Nature are my major areas of interest. And then pictures of my wife, as she will undoubtedly want me to use my new gear for that

I have never had a decent camera before, so other than the intense amount of research I've put in to making this decision, I do not have any kind of hands on experience. It'll definitely be a learning process.

That being said, I want a camera I can really do something with as I progress.... Photography has been an interest of mine my entire life.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:53 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Finally Getting in the Door

A used t2i with the 18-55 IS and 55-250 IS kit lenses for as cheap as possible. Add a sigma 30 1.4 if you need low light shooting. That is what I got my dad. I set my brother up with a used 40D which is also a good choice. A used 60D could work, but is taking up a lot of your budget that could go to lenses.

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:57 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Finally Getting in the Door

SThom3095 wrote:
Landscape and Nature are my major areas of interest. And then pictures of my wife, as she will undoubtedly want me to use my new gear for that ...I want a camera I can really do something with as I progress.

$1,000 isn't really a lot as photography gear goes, but it's enough to get started.

Although probably not ideal for landscapes, the Canon T4i is a good entry-level camera that can do many things well.

Importantly it has an entry-level price but some higher-level features that can aid you in learning, such as the ability to remotely control off-camera Speedlites using its built-in flash as a Master controller.

$1,000 should get you a T4i body and a zoom lens -- an excellent starter package -- if you take advantage of the rebate offered for the next week or two:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/870176-REG/Canon_EOS_Rebel_T4i_Digital.html

You will want to add a Speedlite, more lenses, and so on as you grow, but that'll get you started.

To start, I suggest you use Manual exposure mode -- where you set the shutter speed and aperture yourself, and wait to start using any of the automatic "beginner" modes until you have a firm grasp of how they all interact.

I'd also suggest this as a must-have:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390

There are a few minor errors -- or over-simplifications -- in it, but overall it is an excellent primer on photogrpahic fundamentals.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:15 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Finally Getting in the Door

Spend on the lenses rather than the camera. Decent lenses will last you years and retain their value, cameras come and go.

I would echo the used T2i or 40D route above - excellent cameras available used for very little money. I would also recommend a 50mm f/1.8. On a crop format camera it is a good cheap starter portrait lens. For landscape the 18-55IS is a good place to start. After some time with it you will get to "feel" whether you want to go wider or not, and you might also find you want to start saving for a tripod to get sunsets etc.

Remember also to budget for peripheral stuff - you'll need a memory card and a bag to carry your camera and lenses. You'll probably also want a sensor cleaning brush to get those stubborn bits of dust off the sensor. You might also want to invest in software, though Canon's DPP is good enough to get you started.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:17 AM
ComicDom1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Finally Getting in the Door

+1 on the T4i. As with any camera, if you have a Best Buy near you, go handle the camera. Make sure you are comfortable with it in your hands.

The T4i will give you experience with some video as well. If you are serious about photography then learn to use your camera in manual mode. Save and spend your money on good glass. As you learn and grow you will upgrade in camera bodies and the glass will stay with you. Always buy the best glass you can. It will pay dividends for you.

Keep in mind, a lot of us started with one lens. Many started with just a 50mm lens and worked on learning good techniques. If you get a lens with your camera then use it until you understand how everything works. If you do not get one with your camera then I would suggest either the 40mm 2.8 or the 50mm 1.8.

If you want to save a little money, you can pick up a used 1D Mark II for about $400-500 bucks. I think the 1Ds which is full frame can be had for about the same as well. Granted they will be used but look for one with low usage in good condition. Either one of those bodies used and in good condition will serve you well and give you room to grow. Make sure you get an original box, all the original cables, CDs, and good batteries if you go that route.

Understand that once you hold and shoot a 1D you will be spoiled forever.

Jason

Edited on Feb 24, 2013 at 07:56 AM · View previous versions

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:24 AM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Finally Getting in the Door

I don't see any reason to get a T4i over a T2i. They perform almost identical.

Also recommend a 50 1.8 of you have left over money.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:35 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Finally Getting in the Door

saneproduction wrote:
I don't see any reason to get a T4i over a T2i.

The T4i has a tilt-swivel screen, which I like for low-angle shooting, macro, etc. (I wish my 7D had it), and also has Master Flash capability built-in.

Not everyone would find those things worth the added cost, but others might.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:42 AM
kezeka
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Finally Getting in the Door

If you are comfortable getting used equipment, that is a great route to go. I know I was hesitant to do that at first because I just didn't know what good signs/bad signs were and the right questions to ask.

Realistically, a T4i with a 18-55 mkII IS and a 50mm f/1.8 would make for an excellent starter kit. The 18mm end with IS will have you covered for most of the scenery you would want to take photos of and give you an opportunity to try out a bunch of focal lengths and find out what you are comfortable with. The 50mm f/1.8 is an EXCELLENT lens for the money. I wish I had started with it because primes will genuinely change the way you take photos. It will be the lens you use to show off portraits (due to the increased blurriness behind your subject - or bokeh), to take photos in low light (f/1.8 is great for that), and to have very little depth of field and isolate your subject in a crowd. The T4i was a great improvement sensor-wise in my personal opinion over the T3/2/1i.

If you are interested in investigating the differences between all of this gear for yourself, this is a wonderful website that essentially taught me the technical terms used in photography. He writes in very clear english and explains the terms whenever they show up. He also posts tons of demo and comparison photos to help you see the differences. Don't read into it too much though .
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Site-Index/

I can't tell you much about SD cards since i have only ever used Compact Flash but be sure to budget for one! Probably 8-16 gb to be safe. A camera bag would be good to have too. Lowepro is generally well known for their quality but there are other great bag manufacturers too.

Regardless - welcome to the club! Photography is a wonderful hobby that can last as long as you want it to! If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Finally Getting in the Door

canon 5D MK I aka classic, canon 85mm 1.8 and or, EF 50mm 1.8, and a decent wide or the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM L, some lights and stuff, plus spare batteries, and CF cards.

Feb 24, 2013 at 08:05 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Finally Getting in the Door

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-17-40mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Canon+5d&s=rec

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gepixelt/8179390960/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Lenses-/3323/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_from=R40&_nkw=Canon+EF+17-40mm+f%2F4&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=15

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Digital-Cameras-/31388/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=canon+5d&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

Feb 24, 2013 at 08:07 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Finally Getting in the Door

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mobilevirgin/6151667282/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldstarlabs/8491814555/

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=rec&w=all&q=Canon+5d+classic+portrait&m=text#page=6

Feb 24, 2013 at 08:10 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Finally Getting in the Door

All Used. Three options:

5D -- $600
Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8 w/ adaptor - $200
50mm f/1.8 - $70
Total: $870 w/ room to spare for extra batteries/CF cards/Next lens move

5D -- $600
Olympus OM 24mm f/2.8 w/adaptor -- $200
Canon 85mm f/1.8 -- $300
Total: $1100, pretend the overbudget + accessories don't count!

5D -- $600
Canon 17-40L -- $600
Total: $1200. Oops..

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:19 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Finally Getting in the Door

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
canon 5D MK I aka classic, canon 85mm 1.8 and or, EF 50mm 1.8, and a decent wide or the Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM L, some lights and stuff, plus spare batteries, and CF cards.

Except you're aiming at roughly double the OP's budget... which probably doesn't help the OP much, whether you're fantasizing for the OP or not.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:20 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Finally Getting in the Door

justruss wrote:
Except you're aiming at roughly double the OP's budget... which probably doesn't help the OP much, whether you're fantasizing for the OP or not.

i am positive the "OP" can sort that out on his own, I am aware he may be of age, if not, they sound absolutely mentally capable of budgeting.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:35 AM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Finally Getting in the Door

justruss wrote:

I have finally been able to get some money gathered up...said mental abilities.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:36 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Finally Getting in the Door

40D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50/1.8 - All used. It's a good kit that covers a lot of grounds, cheap (< 500$), light and with very good IQ for the money.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:58 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Finally Getting in the Door

Yakim Peled wrote:
40D, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 50/1.8 - All used. It's a good kit that covers a lot of grounds, cheap (< 500$), light and with very good IQ for the money.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Yup, that's a hard setup to beat in terms of capability per dollar, though I would tend towards the 70-300mm IS rather than the 55-250mm.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Finally Getting in the Door

a.RodriguezPix wrote:
I have finally been able to get some money gathered up...said mental abilities.

OK, buddy, whatever you say...

The OP comes in and asks for advice on what to get for around $1,000, and you suggest a kit that comes in around double that price-- along with a bunch of unexplained links--and then say you expect the OP to whittle down your seemingly arbitrary kit suggestion because he's mentally capable of making a decision.

It's silly because the OP asked for two limiting/deciding factors: price, landscape/wife images. You've basically ignored what is probably the single most important part of what the OP asked about. You might as well have posted links to all the gear Canon makes and suggest the OP figure it out for him/herself.

The hard part isn't suggesting a bunch of good gear (that's the part the OP can probably figure out without help); the hard part is suggesting a bunch of good gear... that comes in on budget.

And, at least if we are to believe your profile, you don't even own a single piece of Canon gear. I hope the OP will take that into account...

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password