Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

ashley138
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

These Scarlet Tanager images. These are the only shots I've got of this spp in the last year (while I was in MN at the end of summer). My issue in these are the orange/red tones in the bird.
This bird was shot in dappled light which often causes problems of some parts being over and some underexposed. In this case the head was a touch overexposed but highlights were not blown out. I fixed this in post and tried messing with the color. Can't seem to make it look right. The second shot is much better, but still exhibits a bit of the same problem. I tried pulling the red saturation down but then the bird looks dull, and this IS NOT a dull bird. Anyways, I wanted your thoughts. Any ideas on how to fix the weird colors on the bird's head?

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:39 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

The best fix is to avoid overexposing. Use manual exposure, start with sunny 16 equivalent exposure and adjust till you are just under the point where you get a blinking highlight warning on the reds

Morris

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

I know you're right Morris, this was just a situation where the light was very dappled and I only had about a 20 sec window before the bird flew off.

I had originally thought that there was more than just overexposure going on here due to the exremeley bright orange color that looks very oversaturated, but I think it has something to do with this bird's very vibrant plumage.
So I've decided the first shot is in fact too far gone to save - unfortunate because this is the better pose of the 2.
I applied a little selective exposure adjustments originally but I was afraid to apply anything more that subtle darkening. I thought I would have to do some crazy adjustments with hue or saturation. But I went in again and applied a little more to the bird's head, and I think it is actually a passable image now! (maybe)

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

Hello Ashley

Oh my you have a great challenge here on this bird. I am going to say you are more 'overexposed than you think on this one. First Canon cameras are really difficult on reds, IMO not to good at them unless they are slightly underexposed or de-saturated.

Suggestion, take your RAW file, back way out on Contrast and see what you gain. Then pull back exposure if need be then pull back Saturation. The file may come around to be more workable and may not, it just one of those 'unforgiving' colors that either works or will not.
What you may do is simply work this one and key on the eye and the exposure at the head and let the body and underbody go darker as needed. It is not likely to balance out well from hightlight to shadow so IMO sacrifice the shadows.
Also you may have more Yellow in this file than you want, play with color balance and watch what happens to your greens as an indication. This is a challenge of a file and maybe one to just realize the light was not right to make it work, I can relate to this bird and its challenge, very diffused light and even light is a blessing to getting its color just right.
Your last file looks very good to me
KW

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

Ashley, I played with the reduced file you have posted some and got it looking better but not good. PM me with your email, I'm betting we can fix this a bit if I had the RAW.

Tim

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
nikon65
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

First, this is a tough bird to expose properly. In my experience with tanagers, I always try to photograph this bird on overcast days. Any time this bird is in direct sunlight, the colors can be really hard to get right. I also use a flash, but stopped down 1 and 2/3 stops. This is just enough light to make your image look good. Also, you are going to have to crank up the ISO on this guy. When I find tanagers, it's in a well shaded, dark woods. Hope this helped. Good luck, Todd

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:26 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

Ashely, the orange tones are the result of the reflection of the light hitting that type of plumage at a certain angle. It is like if you get specular highlights. Specular Highlights are just that and cannot be fixed in PP. I get the same kind of highlights with Cardinals some time. The same orange reflection. But for me it is easier: I just delete the file and try again with better light.
Anyway, if you want to save some how the image, your friend in this case is Camera Raw. It is the only place where you can fix the image. The Highlights, Whites and Exposure sliders are the ones that can help you. Try also playing with the Clarity slider. If the colors are hot de-sat the Red a bit until you get some detail.
I tried to play with it in CR but the file is too small to get some results.
This is what I came out with: not worth the time spent
Socrate

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:29 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

Thanks Socrate, I'll see what I can do. Normally I'd probably not mess with it but these are the only images I've taken of this spp in the last 2 years.
What you did helped with the way the reds look but it seemed to have a negative effect on the other colors. Maybe I could make a layer of just the reds/oranges and apply these changes to just those areas?

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

ashley138 wrote:
Thanks Socrate, I'll see what I can do. Normally I'd probably not mess with it but these are the only images I've taken of this spp in the last 2 years.
What you did helped with the way the reds look but it seemed to have a negative effect on the other colors. Maybe I could make a layer of just the reds/oranges and apply these changes to just those areas?

It is hard to tell, Ashley. It all depends on the results you get from CR. Try also with the HSL/Greyscale sliders first. But definitely you may have to do some make up work in PS with layers.
Remember when it comes to color correction, since our eyes are constantly correcting the color we look at, the more we look at one color the more our eyes play tricks on us. So do some color correction and leave it there. Go back later and check the color again
Socrate

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

This sure is a tough one Ashley....

The RAW file shows that there are only tiny dots here and there that are over exposed so good on you for that The downside is that it was shot in hot light and that isn't doing us any favors. I know you realize this and couldn't help it. I tried a few things but there really isn't a lot to be done, as others have said the light and the angle are making life miserable. Here is the better of my two attempts. I didn't do much in RAW, just a touch off of the saturation and a tiny bit bit of warming. I then ran Dave's action on it with some NR on the bg and then some careful NR on the belly. I pushed the shadows a bit and let the action do the rest. It isn't much different but it is different. Sorry I couldn't do more for you.

Tim

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:06 PM
Wayne Willison
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

Ashley, spent about 10 mins on it. If I had the larger file I could fix it right.

Wayne

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:30 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Your thoughts on how to fix . . .

Thanks guys for your time!! Both shots definitely look better. I think this is as good as it's gonna get. I'm happy with what you guys came up with, thanks!!

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:27 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.