Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

LoneLeaf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

Hi all, I've been a CPS Canada member (Gold) for less than two years, but have already sent multiple items for service in that time. The repair bills have been predictable due to the flat repair rate..., until recently.

If you are a CPS Canada member, I'd like to know if you've ever been billed more than the flat repair rate for an item. If so, what was the reason? (Why did you send it in, and what was Canon's technical assessment?) I am particularly interested in anyone whose item was assessed as "impact damage".

Also if there is anyone here who has used CPS Canada repair service for a retractable hood on a long lens, I'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks and regards,
KDJ

Edit: Just realized I forgot something, I'm also interested in hearing from *anyone* who was assessed by CPS Canada as having "impact damage", regardless of what was billed.

Edited on Feb 24, 2013 at 01:45 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

I've had three lenses serviced in the past two years. Two were repaired at the expected fixed rate. The third was an impact-damaged Mk III Extender that would cost more to repair than buying a new one, snd so I bought a new one. Of the two that were repaired at the fixed rate; one job that cost me about $300 would probably have cost $1000 to $1200 at 'commercial' rates, and the other that cost me about $300 would proabbly have cost about $500 at commercial rates. These cost estimates are based on my experience with repair costs before I joined CPS.

The CPS Program Details document notes that in niormal situations, any item on the repair will be automatically repaired at the fixed rate unless the "product requires extensive service, such as, but not limited to, moisture or extensive impact damage", in which case they'll be asked to approve the extra cost before the work is done.

CPS Program Details document http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/subCategoryHome?msegid=5&catid=4345&scatid=4346

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM
LoneLeaf

p.1 #3 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

jcolwell wrote:
The third was an impact-damaged Mk III Extender that would cost more to repair than buying a new one, snd so I bought a new one.

Thanks Jim. If I may ask a little more about this extender... What physical damage did it have? When you sent it in, was it with a report that it had been in an impact? Or was it simply obvious from the damage?

Thanks!
KDJ

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:20 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

I dropped it on the way to try it out for the first time. Well, it's more like I threw it at the hardwood floor.

Anyway, I went ahead and tested it on my 500/4L IS, along with the 2x III that I got at the same time. The 2x III was great, but the 1.4x III had some very serious IQ problems - definitely stuff out of alignment, probably at least some internal structural deformation. It was toast, for sure. There was really no external signs of impact on the Extender, and I don't think I mentioned what had happened to it. I think it was obvious when they figured out what was wrong.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
LoneLeaf

p.1 #5 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

jcolwell wrote:
I dropped it on the way to try it out for the first time. Well, it's more like I threw it at the hardwood floor.

Thanks, Jim!

Though I wonder what your poor hardwood floor ever did to deserve having a 1.4x thrown at it

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

Stupid floor!

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:36 PM
LoneLeaf

p.1 #7 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

Anyone else?

I updated my original post above as I realized that I forgot something.

Thanks,
KDJ

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

LoneLeaf

p.1 #8 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

Okay maybe there aren't as many CPS Canada members here as I thought? (Based on some other threads here, about pros/cons of CPS in Canada, it sounded like there was quite a few.)

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:15 AM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #9 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

got your PM - I've mostly sent bodies in for proactive cleaning/maintenance, with the exception of a 50L I sent in for calibration/check & a 1Ds3 I sent in to have the top dial replaced.. the warranty clean & check's were free, while the repairs were within the standard costs.. in general, I've had a great experience with CPS - really, without CPS giving me that extended test drive on the 1DX, I'd prob be shooting on that =P

sorry, no experience with impact damage repairs - hope that helps!

Feb 27, 2013 at 03:33 AM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #10 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

Also got your PM and over the past 3 years as a CPS member I've sent in for 2 repairs and all were done at the flat rate. One was to repair the focus motor on my 18 month old 70-200 MII It cost $255 flat fee and they replaced the focusing set. I tried to argue that surely they could extend the warranty and was told they do so for about 30 days if I recall correctly.

The other repair was to replace a cracked top LCD cover on a 5DMII and the flat fee was $199.

I've had other work done prior to that some on warranty others I paid flat fee.

I've no idea what the market value of any these repairs might have been. I have always been very satisfied with the extremely fast turnaround ...usually back in my hands 48 hours after I ship it out...don't know how they do that.

Chris

Feb 27, 2013 at 04:54 AM
LoneLeaf

p.1 #11 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

Thanks kayce and Chris, appreciate the feedback.

Chris on your cracked LCD cover, it's interesting that they didn't consider it "impact damage". It might be though that the cost to replace it is actually less than the flat rate in that case.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

LoneLeaf wrote:
Thanks kayce and Chris, appreciate the feedback.

Chris on your cracked LCD cover, it's interesting that they didn't consider it "impact damage". It might be though that the cost to replace it is actually less than the flat rate in that case.

IME, they will repair things that have been knocked around, bumped, and similar situations. They won't cover thigs that have been really smashed up by impact(s).

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:30 PM
LoneLeaf

p.1 #13 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

jcolwell wrote:
IME, they will repair things that have been knocked around, bumped, and similar situations. They won't cover thigs that have been really smashed up by impact(s).

That's been my understanding as well, and seems reflected by the wording of the CPS policy for flat rate repairs. Which is why I can't understand why my item (sticking lens hood on a 300/4) has been branded as "severe impact damage". Maybe I'll learn more from them today (this has been dragging on for 2-3 wks now).

Feb 27, 2013 at 01:43 PM
LoneLeaf

p.1 #14 · (Canada) Repair question for CPS Canada members

Just an update that a CPS Canada manager contacted me today and all appears well now They are taking a few actions in regards to my billing issue and also with the other depts involved to try to sort out what happened when my lens was processed.

Many thanks to everyone who responded here and by PMs!

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:03 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password