New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Buy Used Lighting

Ken_K
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy Used Lighting

I'm ready to purchase my first set of studio lights for non-commercial use and came across this ad on Craig's List - http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/phd/3636506110.html. Are there any caveats that I need to be aware of?
Thanks.

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:05 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy Used Lighting

Looks like a great deal at $375 each for more 2 or more. I rarely see Einsteins discounted that much.

brad

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:28 AM
rrwingnut
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy Used Lighting

I wonder if its on the up&up? Always wonder about a great deal on Craigs List...

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:34 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy Used Lighting

I can't fathom why anyone would have 7 of them. But the fact one is pictured sitting on an "apple box" which is something typically only a pro would use in a studio leads me to think it is probably legit.

But since he says they were all refurbished recently I'd give Buff a call, tell them about the Craigslist ad and see what their reaction is. Thy might have had 7 go missing recently.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:37 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy Used Lighting

Ken_K wrote:
...came across this ad on Craig's List... Are there any caveats that I need to be aware of?

Just the usual: meet in a public place, if you meet; don't deal in cash (nor carry much if you meet); etc.

But, this looks legit to me. A studio that's upgrading from Paul C. Buff to Elinchrom makes sense that he/she would have seven of them, and the price is good but not too good to be true, being that they're refurbs and not brand new.

Let us know how it goes.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:35 PM
bills_pix

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy Used Lighting

I don't think these are in fact reburbs but brand new lights. I recently sent in 2 to have the holding fingers upgraded and was sent 2 brand new lights with all new packaging and cords. The serial numbers were consecutive and just a bit later numbers than my 4 month old one. Looks like a great deal.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:47 AM
SecondShooter
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy Used Lighting

FYI, older Einstein's had internal cooling fans that are pretty loud. I found this out when I purchased one locally on Craigslist. The serial number of the unit I had ( I have since sold it) was in the 8025 range

I called PCB tech support about how loud it was and they stated that the earlier units did have a fan that was louder than the current models and that if I wanted to send the unit in they would replace the fan under warranty. The good news is that the unit was still under the two year (Transferable) warranty. Although, I never sent it in, I would check the fans, and also if they are still under warranty.

Good Luck

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:49 PM
Ken_K
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy Used Lighting

Update - I'm now the proud owner of 2 Einstein's. The items were just as described. If these units weren't brand new, I couldn't tell. $780 total including 2 Cybersync transceivers.

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:23 AM
rrwingnut
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buy Used Lighting

I wanted one but the deal had to be face to face:-/

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:55 AM
SecondShooter
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buy Used Lighting

rrwingnut wrote:
I wanted one but the deal had to be face to face:-/

It never hurts to ask. Maybe Ken would be willing to swing by and pickup one more and ship it to you.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.