New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 24mm Advice

mpedersen
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24mm Advice

Looking at a 24mm prime to fulfill my wide angle needs. I do mostly reportage and low-light event shooting.

Not sure if I can afford the 24 f/1.4 L II at the moment, so I'm looking at the Mark I and the new f/2.8 IS.

Haven't exactly seen much on the new IS version, much less a comparison between the two. The extra f-stop is nice but the IS makes up for the light loss. the Mark I isn't exactly stellar wide-open so it's not the biggest difference. My big thing is CA control, but I might be upgrading to a 6D so I'll be able to set up lens profiles for corrections..

Anyone have an idea on how well they compare otherwise?

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24mm Advice

If you shoot stationary objects in low light, the IS might help, but if there is any movement in your subject, I'd go with the 24L prime.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24mm Advice

Definitely will be shooting low-light action.

My only concern stems from people complaining about the L below f/2.8 as well as some issues with CA.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24mm Advice

Plus one to Chez's thoughts

I've just started picking up a few L's, mostly on the tele end including a zoom. But for primes so far it's the 28 f1.8, 50 f1.4 and 85 f1.8 that I pack when at low light events, indoor and out. If Canon made a 24 f1.8 like their 28 I'd be all over it.

If 24mm is your choice, and I luv tha FL, I'd go after the f1.4L in whatever version you can manage. IMHO you won't be happy at f2.8, I don't shoot events a ton, but I wouldn't attempt to without fast glass.

Jerry

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM
mpedersen
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24mm Advice

Thanks for the quick replies. You are somewhat correct about not being 100% happy around f/2.8, I used to have the 35L and shot at f/2 pretty much consistently, f/2.8 if it was something slower.

Probably the right choice to go with the L on that logic. Just hope there isn't a significant clarity difference, even with the Mark II for that matter.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24mm Advice

mpedersen wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies. You are somewhat correct about not being 100% happy around f/2.8, I used to have the 35L and shot at f/2 pretty much consistently, f/2.8 if it was something slower.

Probably the right choice to go with the L on that logic. Just hope there isn't a significant clarity difference, even with the Mark II for that matter.

I'd suggest starting a more pointed topic, 'How much better is the 24L vs the Mark II', ask for examples, what are the major benefits of the Mark II...there should be a few shooters that can answer you that have had/used both pieces of glass.

Good luck with your search...
Jerry

PS. Just re-read your original post...scrolled up...I think you did that already

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM
mpedersen
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24mm Advice

StillFingerz wrote:
I'd suggest starting a more pointed topic, 'How much better is the 24L vs the Mark II', ask for examples, what are the major benefits of the Mark II...there should be a few shooters that can answer you that have had/used both pieces of glass.

Good luck with your search...
Jerry

PS. Just re-read your original post...scrolled up...I think you did that already

Heh, yeah. I've done my fair bit of research and it seems as far as test shots go it's improvements across the board. But, I'm not shooting black and white cards all day..What I haven't seen is good field comparisons.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24mm Advice

If you can justify the cost of the 24/1.4 II, I'd say that will notably surpass your other options. This is based on my prior ownership of the Mark I. I have no experience with the new IS models.

John Caldwell

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:00 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24mm Advice

Of course, the 1.4 is two stops faster than the 2.8.
For me, a 2.8 wide prime with or without IS does not make much sense, except if
1. I was shooting it stopped down for landscape and needed corner to corner sharpness that was not available in zoom
2. size was a big issue.
The IS at 24 mm, not very useful, except for video. as for center zone sharpness, most of modern zooms, and all modern primes can give you excellent results.
I have the 24L II, and its a great lens. Fantastic sharpness, and color. I understand the contrast and vignetting have been improved over mark 1, and less flare. also corner sharpness has been improved. central sharpness was good on the original. I have seen some amazing shots with the original.
I would not go with the 2.8 IS, regardless.

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:25 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24mm Advice

The main benefit of the 24L Mk2 over the Mk1 is chromatic aberration correction. The Mk2 has far better CA. Made alot of difference to me when I upgraded!

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:35 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24mm Advice

The 24 Lll is a fantastic lens, no doubt, but it is awfully hard to stomach the cost!! I just got the Bower 24 1.4, and while manual focus only, it is just as sharp WO as the 24L, and is incredibly sharp stopped down! Check out Photozone.de. He has a great review of it there. For the price, it can't be beat, as long as you can stomach MF'ing....
If your going to night shots, in LV, I think this is a viable option.
Just my two cents,
Gregg

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM
mpedersen
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24mm Advice

I'm fine with MF but I'd rather stick with the Canon, would like to have the AF ability when I need to..

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:19 PM
zuke

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24mm Advice

If a 24mm is your tool, you will eventually end up with the best package that your budget allows. Not taking a shortcut means losing money on the way by buying/selling its compromised, but still expensive siblings. I am not a pro, however I like flare shots but also like low light performance, mainly for weddings & indoor. Further: want AF, sharp as possible colors, etc. So my journey began:
Grew from the 24/2.8 (excellent lens, but -/- low light and flare, ca), to a 20-35L 2.8 (great for a zoom but -/- low light and flare), the 24L mkI (Excellent also but still -/- little bit of flare, ca,) and decided eventually to go for the ultimate package 24L mkII. Rented it couple of times (super!), then waiting game for an excellent copy to swing by on the second hand market. And it paid off: what a stellar performer, for an excellent price (70% of new price, mint). Tick: 24mm goal met….enjoying it immensely when I take it out

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:54 PM
firstgear99
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24mm Advice

You can pick up a decent used 24 1.4 II, just look around. I try to buy used as much as I can and have had decent luck even with fleabay!

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:00 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24mm Advice

mpedersen wrote:
My only concern stems from people complaining about the L below f/2.8 as well as some issues with CA.

I think those complaints are about the mk1 version; the mk2 is fantastic and blows the much famed 35L out of the water. It's just that the 35mm focal length is "safer" and thus more popular.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:39 AM
Hulot
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24mm Advice

The 24L MK II has definitely some focussing problem. Not as bad as the Sigma 50mm but still erratic. I has been discussed here. It's still a great lens, no question

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM
AbramG
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24mm Advice

As a previous owner of both the 24L I and II I can definitely say without hesitation that the mkII version was noticeably better at all apertures to me.

I know it is indeed more expensive, but it is definitely worth saving up for in my opinion. Get the mkII & be very happy

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 24mm Advice

Greggf wrote:
The 24 Lll is a fantastic lens, no doubt, but it is awfully hard to stomach the cost!! I just got the Bower 24 1.4, and while manual focus only, it is just as sharp WO as the 24L, and is incredibly sharp stopped down! Check out Photozone.de. He has a great review of it there. For the price, it can't be beat, as long as you can stomach MF'ing....
If your going to night shots, in LV, I think this is a viable option.
Just my two cents,
Gregg

It has 3% distortion vs the Canon 24/1.4 II that has 1.35%. Samsung is not just cutting corners by removing the AF.

EBH

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 24mm Advice

when you say low light event, do you mean wedding stuff, or like low light life/action stuff? i ask because what's the primary characteristic of the end result? if you're shooting bands playing live, or walking the streets at night you might not need the best image quality. you may be more concerned with just getting the shot, even if it's a bit grittier. i'd say get the fastest lens available at 24mm. get the canon 24 mk 1 if that's in your budget. or, if you really want to keep costs down and can move a bit on the FL, the 28 1.8 is a really underrated lens that can be had under $400. it's not optically brilliant, but it gets a really bad rap and is more than good enough for my needs.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 24mm Advice

i do a fair amount of low light people/life type shooting, where i basically open up the 28 and shoot it at like iso 6400 just to get things documented. i convert a lot of this to black and white, and the results are usually not meant to be admired in any lens performance sense. the lens is there to take the shot on the most basic level; it's not about capturing an optically excellent image.

a lot of the really low light shots i take i let things go to black all over the place, and just use whatever patterns/outlines the light source provides or something like this, you know? i'm not exactly concerned about moustache distortion or whatever simply because of the nature of the end result i'm going for doesn't require it. same for other things like 3% vs 1.35% distortion, sharp corners, chromatic aberration, etc..... don't care. CA is like a 15 second fix in LR. if i'm shooting like this all that matters is that the lens functions, has reasonable optical performance, and can physically get the job done.

i'd say don't get caught up on the little details if this sound like the type of low light stuff you're doing. just $0.02 from where i'm coming from, fwiw

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:49 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.