Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

Justin Grimm
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

I've recently acquired a tilt-shift lens, and so far have spent all my time getting used to using both movements in different situations for single blends. However now Im wanting to use the shift feature towards creating panos (which I never tried before)

My workflow so far is simple. Stitch, then blend. Im having trouble (or photoshop is) stitching the overexposed, underexposed, and low contrasty/detail shots. IF the stitches complete, different exposures are never identically the same due to different amounts of detail in parts of the image (even when all the photomerge settings are the same). This makes blending a pain, and my ocd tendencies go nuts. I've even tried doing a pano of my living room to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a special combination of stitching settings I haven't tried yet? Is there a better stitching software for this? Or best case scenario, is there a way to make photoshop apply the exact pixel-for-pixel stitch for 3 different exposures?

Im heading off for a 2 day mountain shoot and could use some guidance for when I get back to the digital darkroom! Thanks for any tips or guidance you can give.

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:56 AM
jforkner
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

First, I assume when you say blend, you're referring to an HDR-type blend. If not, please disregard.

I blend, then stitch ensuring I use the same blending criteria for each portion of the planned pano. I had the same problem as you when stitching first.

Jack

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:49 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

I've been stitching and blending in PtGui Pro using Exposure Fusion. The blending controls are pretty simple (4 sliders), and I'm able to get a natural looking pano quickly. As long as you don't want the HDR look, it works well.

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:26 PM
parsons
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

you cannot use photoshop for what you are trying.

APP or PTGUI is needed to batch the files together in there representative exposures.

ie: 3 images at 1/125 / 3 images at 1/60 and 1/30 for example. make sure all images are identically stiched (tick a box somehwere normally) then proceed to blend as you wish.

simon

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:31 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

parsons wrote:
you cannot use photoshop for what you are trying.

APP or PTGUI is needed to batch the files together in there representative exposures.

ie: 3 images at 1/125 / 3 images at 1/60 and 1/30 for example. make sure all images are identically stiched (tick a box somehwere normally) then proceed to blend as you wish.

Simon,

Working with a similar problem. PTGUI I've heard of, but what is APP?
Thanks,
Robert

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

AutoPano Pro

Feb 24, 2013 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #7 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

Thanks a lot parsons. No wonder I was having a hard time if PS isn't specialized for this sort of thing. I'll give PTGUI a try and hopefully post some panos soon enough!

Feb 24, 2013 at 08:56 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #8 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

Played around all night and couldnt figure it out. Luckily by reading though the countless questions on their FAQ page this morning, I found the answer. I havent tried it yet, but hopefully it helps anyone else having the same issue.

"5.14. How can I use exactly the same stitching settings for different sets of images?

This can be useful for creating HDR panoramas, where the bracketed exposures have been taken in identical orientations, or for stitching panoramas that were taken with an exactly reproducible setup (using a panorama head with accurate click stops).

To stitch multiple panoramas with the same settings, the Apply Template function can be used (also see Q2.13). Create the first panorama in the regular way and save the project file. For the subsequent panoramas do the following:
Start a new project
Load the source images
Switch to Advanced mode by pressing the Advanced button in the Project Assistant
Choose 'Apply Template' from the File menu and browse to the project file saved earlier
Go directly to Create Panorama to stitch the result. Don't add any control points and don't press Align Images"

"2.13. What does 'Apply Template' do?

This copies the settings of another project to the current project, except for the images and the control points. This function is accessible both from the 'Apply Template' item in the File menu, and from the toolbar in PTGui. A template can be any PTGui project. In Tools/Options/Folders&Files, a folder can be configured where you store your templates (on Mac go to the PTGui menu, Preferences, Folders&Files). Then, the template selection dialog will by default open in this folder. There's a little triangle button next to the 'Apply Template' button on the toolbar, which shows a drop down list of all templates in the configured template directory, for quick access.

Templates can be useful for a quick initialization of a project (lens settings, rough alignment of images), although this is usually not necessary since the Project Assistant can figure out the alignment of the panorama by itself.

Another use for templates is when you have an exact reproducable setup (high quality panoramic head with fixed angles). In this case you could copy all settings of a previous project and there would be no need for placing control points and optimizing.

By default, applying a template copies all settings from the template to the current project except for the source images and the control points. In PTGui Pro this behaviour can be modified in the Project Settings tab, section 'template behaviour'."

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:36 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

The Pro version of PTGUI will stitch and blend all at once. When you Align the images, you can specify whether bracketed images should be linked (which is useful when using a tripod). You also specify whether you'd like to use the HDR controls, or Exposure Fusion. Then go into the HDR tab and adjust the settings. When you preview or output the file, the pano will be both stitched and blended.

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:32 PM
iweiner

p.1 #10 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

Download a copy of Microsoft ICE---free! And it it to your pano toolkit, excellent for single or multiple rows of images to create a pano or a very hi rez LF, MF pix.

irv weiner

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:38 AM
tived
• • •
p.1 #11 · Multiple Exposure Panoramas

Grimm,

Sign up to the PTGui's mailing list or Yahoo group... Pano making is a different ball game, in particular when you add robots, multiple exposures and even focus stacking. Its a lot of fun but it also has a lot trial and error in it, if it wasn;t hard enough to photograph it, it becomes even harder (though its getting easier over the years)
but there are lots of challenges.

all the best of luck and have fun doing it - I know I have

Henrik

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:47 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password