Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

Rick VB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

These are from a game on Wednesday night between Grand Haven & Rockford. The game ended in a 3-3- tie after both teams scored their 3rd goal within 1 minute of each other in the 3rd period. This is only the 2nd hockey game I have tried to shoot and I was somewhat frustrated. I did not have access to the bench, so all these shots are from the stands looking over the glass. I tried shooting through the glass for 1 period but I liked that even less because the glass was very dirty and I didn't like the position that was available. I don't know if it is the masks in this game, the angle I was shooting from, or my technique, but I don't feel like I am getting sharp faces like some of the good hockey posts I see here. Any C&C or suggestions are welcome.

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:44 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

3 more. Thanks for looking.

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:45 PM
capo99
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

For me there are lots of factors in play depending on the rink. Some rinks I leave the gear at home, to dark, crowded, glass is to dirty. Our home rink is well lit so it makes half the games I see/shoot much less difficult.

The 300mm 2.8 VRII is new to me, but certainly performs a lot better in low light than the 70-200 F2.8 VRII. I don't have to crank the ISO up as much. At least that's what I've found. Can't say enough about the low light performance of the D600.

When it comes to faces the helmet cages do get in the way. You seldom get a good idea what the player really looks like, and the bars on the cage often block the eyes of the player. At that point for me, it's usually tossed.

Try getting closer maybe standing on the player bench during warm-up, if it's empty of course. I'm fortunate in that I'm good friends with the owner of my sons team and provide them photos so I have a little bit better access.

I PP in LR4 and find it's a great asset if you've had to really crank up the ISO and need to clean-up some noise.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Cam

Good captures by the way.

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:32 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

Cam, thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I had a chance to go back and shoot a junior hockey game at the same rink tonight. I had access to the bench and I only brought along my 85mm f/1.8 lens so I could try and up my shutter speed and keep the ISO reasonable. I am in the process of going through the images and am much happier with what I got from this game. I will probably post some images tomorrow.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

Rick: I agree these images aren't sharp. You are using good equipment. I would shoot your 1D MKlll at 3200 or higher. You can remove noise in post but you can't replace focus. Make sure you have your lens right on the glass. I usually go before games and clean a couple sections of glass I want to shoot from. When you use the MKIII and the 200 outside the rink, I'm guessing the sharpness is much better? If not you may want to microadjust the combo.

Ben

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

Ben, the 1DIII is new to me so I don't have a lot of experience using it with my lenses yet. I was at the same rink with the same 1DIII and 200 mm again on Sunday shooting a Junior hockey game from the same vantage point and I was much happier with the images I got. I really think I was sloppy handholding the 200mm lens on Wednesday and was much more careful on Sunday with better results - I posted some shots from that game and a game on Saturday as well. I have not done any microadjusting yet and hope to not have to.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:18 PM
tjk60
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

Rick, which rink?

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:59 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

This is at The Edge ice arena on the North side of Holland. Grand Haven plays their home games there.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:15 PM
tjk60
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

Been there many times with my son! If you son is on team, give him a scubber and have him do about 1 square foot on inside of glass during warm up....

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Rick VB
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · HS Boys Hockey - C&C welcome

That's a good suggestion although I don't have a son. The glass at that rink is really bad, and I have pretty much given up trying to shoot through it already.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:27 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.