Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda, JimFox
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines
One new topic per day

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              16       17       end

Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

jsuro wrote:
Beautiful image Klaus!! What camera/telescope combo?

Best,

Jose

Ps.

Here is one I made with the first setup above (TMB 650, SBIG Camera and Astro Physics Mount):

http://www.josesuroeditorial.com/Other/Landscape-Posts-2013/i-DtrQN4w/0/O/Ha%2BRed_RGB_B-G_Noise_curves-2-merge-print-2-faw.jpg

Jose, Thanks and that's one of the best Heart Nebula shots I have seen.

My wide field was done with a 40D mod, Takahashi P2Z mount, and Canon 16-35mm lens.

Here is one of my feeble attempts of the Heart Nebula with the 40D mod, Takahashi NJP mount and a Takahashi FSQ-106 scope.

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:41 AM
Dale Martin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

....some have alreay stated astro photography is an addiction, stay away at all cost. It started out as imaging off the deck....and ended up with this! Go figure.....

http://massapoag.org/astro_2/observatory/structure/structure.html

Dale

Edited on Mar 01, 2013 at 03:16 AM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:20 AM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.5 #3 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Dang Dale - you win!

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:56 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Dale Martin wrote:
....some have alreay stated astro photography is an addiction, stay away at all cost. It stated out as imaging off the deck....and ended up with this! Go figure.....

Dale

You have your own private observatory. Impressive. Love the images on your web site.
Harsha

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Dale Martin
• •
p.5 #5 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

No Steve, we all win and you brought astro attention to the Fred Miranda site! I was wondering when/if this would happen

Dale

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:30 AM
Dale Martin
• •
p.5 #6 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Thanks Harsha! The biggest feather in the cap is this http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090310.html

Dale

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:35 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Dale Martin wrote:
Thanks Harsha! The biggest feather in the cap is this http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090310.html

Dale

Wow Dale. Stunning.
Harsha

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:51 AM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Dale, a tip of the hat, sir.

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:01 AM
Dale Martin
• •
p.5 #9 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Thanks Harsaha this is a six panel mosic with a total of ~24 hours.

Dale

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:02 AM
astro-ep
• • •
p.5 #10 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

That's a really great shot, Dale. And congrats on obtaining an APOD. I've yet to get one of those.

I did a similar mosaic in H-alpha. The view it encompasses is slightly larger. I had intentions of making it full color. But even in H-alpha alone, the amount of data became fairly overwhelming for my little PC.

This is an 8 frame mosaic and required 30 hours of exposure time, over 9 separate nights. It required probably another 40-50 hours of computer time to calibrate, stack, process and assemble the image. The final image is over 60 megapixels.

I'd amazes me to see how large some of these structures are. If our eyes were as sensitive as our cameras, the sky would surely look different.

Click on the image to go to my photo page. If you mouse-over the image, you can choose original (or one of the larger formats), and see the many double stars and other very fine details. Just be patient for it to load.

Eric

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Dale Martin
• •
p.5 #11 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

WOW Eric! That is one great looking image, stars are pinpoint, one of the best I have seen!

Dale

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:33 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.5 #12 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Thanks Dale. I appreciate the look-see...

Eric

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:46 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.5 #13 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Eric - That is extraordinary! So much detail (the rest of the stuff on your site is amazing as well).

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:50 PM
dgdg
• • •
p.5 #14 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

If you don't mind lugging a bit more around, I wonder if the SmartEQ Pro mount would be better choice than the astrotrac. It is cheaper, has go to, and I believe you can autoguide in az and zenith. I read you can mount it on your own tripod.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:55 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.5 #15 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Thanks Steve.

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #16 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Dale Martin wrote:
....some have alreay stated astro photography is an addiction, stay away at all cost. It started out as imaging off the deck....and ended up with this! Go figure.....

Dale

Hi Dale,
Talking about reaching a point of no return. You are definitely there!!
Thanks for sharing such amazing astro images.
Fred

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #17 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

astro-ep wrote:
That's a really great shot, Dale. And congrats on obtaining an APOD. I've yet to get one of those.

I did a similar mosaic in H-alpha. The view it encompasses is slightly larger. I had intentions of making it full color. But even in H-alpha alone, the amount of data became fairly overwhelming for my little PC.

This is an 8 frame mosaic and required 30 hours of exposure time, over 9 separate nights. It required probably another 40-50 hours of computer time to calibrate, stack, process and assemble the image. The final image is over 60 megapixels.

I'd amazes
...Show more

I love this shot Eric. Especially in the larger view.

It's not only accurate and filled with high detailed nuances but also very well composed and balanced.
Thanks for sharing it.
Fred

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:31 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.5 #18 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Thanks Fred. I was really aiming to show all the interesting things in that area. The three stars angled upward in the right-center of the frame, are the 3 "belt" stars of the Orion constellation. I thought it was interesting to look at the night sky and compare with the image and see how large these nebula structures really are...

Thanks for taking a look...

Eric

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #19 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

I have an update for those waiting for the iOptron Skytracker, .
I got mine yesterday and took a few test shots using my 6D and 135mm f/2L lens.

My initial impressions are very positive. The Skytracker really fixed the annoying issues I had with the Vixen Polarie. The illuminated scope works great but you must download the iOptron App to align polaris with precision.
This mount comes with a built-in wedge for latitude control but no azimuth adjustment. It's the only negative I found with the set-up. However, this problem is solved if you get a pan base like the the Feisol PB-07 mentioned on this thread before. Later on, I will post some pictures of the entire set-up and compare this system with the Astrotrac.

So, I aligned Polaris very easily and precisely in about 30 seconds. I wanted to push this mount to the limit and took a 3-minute shot at 135mm and another 3-minute dark frame.

I posted the results below. It looks good to me. It's pretty safe to say that those shooting with wide-angle lenses will have no problems with very long exposures with this new mount.

On the other hand, it may not be able to provide accurate tracking with longer exposures like the Astrotrac did. I tried a few shots at 280mm (Canon 70-200 f/4L + 1.4x extender) and saw trails at the same exposure time.

Cropped and resized

1:1 pixels (100%) - not resized

1:1 pixels (100%) - not resized

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:43 PM
blueimage
• • •
p.5 #20 · Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

Thanks for the update Fred...your test shots look sharp! and I'm glad to hear the set-up is quick and easy. You've become a star tracking test bed...I'm anxiously awaiting the iOptron ST to be back in stock. I purchased a Feisol PB-07 and it seams quality made with smooth panning for the price.
Jim

Mar 03, 2013 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password