Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

mrhoni
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

I'm using Lightroom and recently sending from Lightroom to Photoshop for more editing. I notice that my PSD files are quite large.

Is there a point in time where you flatten the PSD file and replace the layered PSD file in Lightroom or always keep the layered PSD?

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

The original .psd layered file is always my master. The flattened version of same becomes my print master that gets resized for prints or web. Sometimes the flat.psd gets slight global tweaks.

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:26 PM
mshi
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

For LR to work with a PSD, it must have a stamped full-size tiff embedded (aka "Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility" in Photoshop lexicon) along with all the layers in the PSD, which increases file size in LR, luckily or unluckily that's the fate with LR at least for the time being.

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:36 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #4 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

Rephrasing my question:

I start with the raw file, do the work in PSD and bring the PSD file back into Lightroom.
Is there a point in time where from within LR, you open the PSD file, flatten it and load into LR and then delete the layered PSD file from LR?

For example, x months after you have worked with a client, you will flatten all the layered PSD files as you don't expect to go back to the layered PSD and want to adjust any of the existing layers.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:41 PM
rodmcwha
• •
p.1 #5 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

Always keep the original raw file. I work on a copy and then flatten my work file when I am satisfied with it. I can always go back and work on it again from the raw.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:55 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #6 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

mrhoni wrote:
Rephrasing my question:

I start with the raw file, do the work in PSD and bring the PSD file back into Lightroom.
Is there a point in time where from within LR, you open the PSD file, flatten it and load into LR and then delete the layered PSD file from LR?

For example, x months after you have worked with a client, you will flatten all the layered PSD files as you don't expect to go back to the layered PSD and want to adjust any of the existing layers.

Sorry but PSD can only be flattened in Photoshop.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #7 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

Since LR can only affect the composite layer of a layered file, it seems that it might be counterproductive to bring that layered file into LR in the first place. You could end up with your LR moves affecting everything except the layers. What are you trying to do in LR that you can't more effectively accomplish in Ps?

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mrhoni
• •
p.1 #8 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

Lightroom is where all photos are stored and organized. Thus the PSD file will also be there along with the raw file. I'll use Lightroom for basic edits and if I need more, I send the file from LR to PS. When the photo is closed in PS, the PSD is automatically placed in LR.

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:40 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

mrhoni wrote:
Rephrasing my question:

Sorry, I don't get it. Why would you bring anything back into LR after doing all the work in PS? What does LR have that PS doesn't? And, if you have and use PS, why would you even need LR?

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #10 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

Because LR's DAM features are much better than using a PS/Bridge workflow if you have thousands of images. Not to mention virtual copies and a full and permanent history for raw files.

I don't delete or flatten any PSD files before sending them back to LR. I just stack them with the original raw file and move on. Hard drive space is pretty cheap and I like the advantages of keeping the layered PSD file.

Gordon

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

I guess I never needed to know that since I never shoot thousands of images. I have once shot a few thousand over a two week trip and found Bridge to be adequate. I suppose wedding or sports photographers may have different needs than me.

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:43 PM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #12 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

Its not thousands from a trip or session, but thousands over the years. I have many thousands of photos over the last 20 years including photos from my childhood that I scanned and keep in LR. LR is great for keeping track and organizing as well as culling photos from a shoot. I don't use Bridge so I an not able to say why LR would be better than Bridge.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:15 AM
mrhoni
• •
p.1 #13 · When do you flatten clients photos Lightroom/Photoshop?

Jeffrey, just checked your website. Beautiful photos. Very cool.

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:18 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password