Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · AMD APU's vs. traditional chip w/ video card

koprivakopriva
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · AMD APU's vs. traditional chip w/ video card

Basically my question is as follows: are AMD's APU series chips too good to be true?

If I'm understanding correctly, AMD chips like this one have integrated graphics, negating the need for a video card in PC builds.

Naturally, I'm curious. I'm due for some upgrades to my PC and I've read some wonderful reviews about these intergrated APU's, but I'm curious whether or not they would work as well for photo/video editing as they would for hardcore gaming.

Thanks for your help in advance, I've tried searching just about everything and I still haven't been able to turn up much on these chips' success in photo / video editing.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM
blob loblaw
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · AMD APU's vs. traditional chip w/ video card

in a modern pc you're not going to see any benefit with editing photos with any GPU.

For video editing there may be some benefits or down right requirements but that depends on your editing software.
Example gpu benefits:
adobe premiere - negligible
adobe ae - noticeable
davinci resolve - mandatory!

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:31 AM
koprivakopriva
• •
p.1 #3 · AMD APU's vs. traditional chip w/ video card

Thanks for the quick response. Love the username, btw. Where's your law blog?

Interesting. Seems like you can pack up one heck of a PC on a budget with these chips. I'll have to do a bit more reading but they sure seem to kick butt, according to Neweggers.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:39 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #4 · AMD APU's vs. traditional chip w/ video card

AMD APU chips using the FM1/FM2 socket are budget priced processors designed for HTPC and casual use. I use one in my HTPC and it is well suited for this task (Blu-ray with lossless audio over HDMI), and somewhat cheaper than an equivalent Intel CPU like the i3 2100. The AMD APU chips are NOT designed to be used in workstations, and are MUCH slower than the AMD Bulldozer or Intel SandyBridge and IvyBridge processors. Also, with many Intel SB or IB, you also get an embedded Intel graphics processor on the cpu which is adequate for driving graohics unless you game.

Feb 25, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Mr.Konstantin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · AMD APU's vs. traditional chip w/ video card

What software do you use or planing to use for photo & video editing?
Keep in mind that not many photo editing applications utilize OpenCL or other GPU hardware acceleration in this case it's best to pick an Intel processor vs AMD IMO which will yield better performance overall.
In case of video editing you are better off with a dedicated GPU vs discrete but keep in mind that a low end Radeon or Nvidia GPU $80 cards will not give you much more performance over your processor, this is where I would recommend an Intel i5 or i7 with built in HD 4000 GPU giving you balance between price and performance without the need of dedicated GPU.

Hope this helped.

Cheers!

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password