Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

I was never happy with the AF performance of my d7k. So, in spite of the assertions that I'm not smart enough to operate the camera, I sent it to Melville for AF repair.

The invoice says that minor parts were replaced, the AF system was repaired, the defocus control was adjusted and the firmware was upgraded. All this was done in about 2 weeks, under warranty.

My initial tests indicate a significant improvement in the AF performance. The weather here isn't such that I want to take it outside and do a comprehensive test, but I don't expect to see any more problems. The camera is working very well, with a number of lenses, at various distances and lighting types and levels. IOW, it is now working as I had always expected it to work.

Kudos to Melville for doing a good job. Seems that they did a very professional job, in a reasonable time frame, with no backtalk.

My d7k is less than a year old, which is far beyond the "initial run" of cameras that had AF issues. So, if you're having issues, not getting the AF performance that you expect, then send it in for service.

Kerry

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

I'm about to hand mine over to an authorized repair shop here in town...gonna have them adjust my d7k, AND my 17-55...the combo has been hit or miss lately, but i'm thinking it's mainly the d7k...

I'll agree with you that there are a few people here that are quick to jump on posters complaining about the af performance of the d7k, claiming user error, or bad technique...i've had enough cameras to know what to expect, and to know when something isnt right...and i too just havent always been TOTALLY satisfied with the 7k's af performance...i've been hesitant to send it in for fear of not having enough other bodies...now i do, so i can afford to part with it for a bit...

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:52 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #3 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

If your body is still in warranty, I'd advise sending it to Nikon, Nathan. Other than breaking one of my QR neck strap connectors, they did a nice job. Mine was never able to deliver really sharp images with any lens and some times it just plain missed completely, on an easy target.

I waited far too long to send it in, primarily due to the number of complaints on Nikon service that I've seen. I gotta give them credit on this repair. It was a quick, no muss, no fuss, solid repair, AFAICT.

Regardless of what you do, I hope that they can straighten it out for you. I'm much happier with the camera now. I'd originally planned to sell it after having it serviced, but it's working so well in the house, in lousy light/target conditions, that I'm thinking that I'll keep it now.

good luck
Kerry

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:49 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #4 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

Kerry Pierce wrote:
I was never happy with the AF performance of my d7k. So, in spite of the assertions that I'm not smart enough to operate the camera, I sent it to Melville for AF repair.

The invoice says that minor parts were replaced, the AF system was repaired, the defocus control was adjusted and the firmware was upgraded. All this was done in about 2 weeks, under warranty.

My initial tests indicate a significant improvement in the AF performance. The weather here isn't such that I want to take it outside and do a comprehensive test, but I don't expect
...Show more

That could be why I was having such a hard time with the camera, but it's to late now as I sold mine weeks ago.

Glad to hear you got yours working right.

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Jack OBrien
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

This is certainly good news Kerry. I did finally sell my D7k for the very reasons you stated. I got tired of people telling me I didn't know what I was doing

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:18 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

Mine is long out of warranty...

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:35 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #7 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

Jack OBrien wrote:
This is certainly good news Kerry. I did finally sell my D7k for the very reasons you stated. I got tired of people telling me I didn't know what I was doing

Wow, that's funny, Jack.

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #8 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

NathanHamler wrote:
Mine is long out of warranty...

ah, bummer....

Well, I hope they do it right for you. Mine acts like a completely different camera now.

@David Thanks for the kind words. Sorry that you had to sell yours.

good luck
Kerry

Feb 23, 2013 at 11:24 PM
ozpall
• • •
p.1 #9 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

i paid over $350 to get all this done but it is so nice now!

Feb 24, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #10 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

ozpall wrote:
i paid over $350 to get all this done but it is so nice now!

Wow! That sux! But, definitely worth it to have a camera that will focus as it should. I had gotten to the point that I didn't even want to use the camera any more and it was just sitting on the shelf. Now, I'm much more confident that it will focus properly and I'll use it more.

Kerry

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

if i get a quote for $350, i'll use the d7000 as a boat anchor before i sink that kinda money into it....So weird that when i bought my D3, it had 250k shots on it, so i called nikon to ask what the damage would be to put a new shutter in it, IF it even failed.... and they said they'll do a basic clean and check, and if they have to replace EVERYTHING, i.e. mirror mech, shutter, af system, sensor, etc, it would be a max of $575 or something like that, but probably less.......and if they replace all that, they're GONNA have to calibrate it too! So if my D7000 doesn't need ANYTHING replaced, and only needs calibrating, i'd say that's worth about $125....if it's more than $200 i'll be PISSED.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:41 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.1 #12 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

Mine had this issue as well as the oil drops on the sensor. It wasn't a great jump into a DSLR and I really considered selling it. I got lucky (depending on your point of view) and was able to have it serviced at no cost to me. Although the camera was well outside of warranty, I had been in the habit of taking the camera to a local shop to be cleaned. The last time the cleaned it (which was about 30 times in a year, about 2500 actuation's) the tech scratched the sensor bad enough to show on ever picture. The unit was sent back for sensor replacement and to look at the oil issue. After a month, Nikon replaced the sensor, cleaned the extractor arm (which was spitting oil on the sensor), adjusted the AF and updated the firmware. Since I have received the camera back, I have not had a single issue with it.

Feb 25, 2013 at 04:09 AM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #13 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

NathanHamler wrote:
if i get a quote for $350, i'll use the d7000 as a boat anchor before i sink that kinda money into it....So weird that when i bought my D3, it had 250k shots on it, so i called nikon to ask what the damage would be to put a new shutter in it, IF it even failed.... and they said they'll do a basic clean and check, and if they have to replace EVERYTHING, i.e. mirror mech, shutter, af system, sensor, etc, it would be a max of $575 or something like that, but probably less.......and if they replace
...Show more

Well, that certainly puts things in a different light, and I can understand why you'd be unhappy with that. I have no idea how much they would have charged me for the replaced parts and the other stuff that they did to my camera at Melville.

Hopefully, you'll get a reasonable quote and they'll fix your camera so that it works properly.

good luck
Kerry

Feb 25, 2013 at 06:56 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.1 #14 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Well, that certainly puts things in a different light, and I can understand why you'd be unhappy with that. I have no idea how much they would have charged me for the replaced parts and the other stuff that they did to my camera at Melville.

Hopefully, you'll get a reasonable quote and they'll fix your camera so that it works properly.

good luck
Kerry

The quote for my repair was nearly $1100, most of it was the sensor, but the cleaning and AF adjusting was around $300...

Feb 25, 2013 at 09:32 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #15 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

kwoodard wrote:
The quote for my repair was nearly $1100, most of it was the sensor, but the cleaning and AF adjusting was around $300...

wow..... That's a pretty stiff bill for a camera that had an MSRP of about $1200, IIRC. It was really fortunate that you weren't responsible for the bill and that they fixed all of your issues.

I realize that repairs for lots of things can get crazy, but still, this seems extraordinarily high considering the things that were done. AFAIK, they shouldn't have had to replace the sensor, just the AA filter or whatever is on top of it, to get rid of that scratch.

As an example, the folks at LifePixel will replace that part with an infrared filter for $250, but that doesn't include the sensor cleaning stuff.

Kerry

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:30 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.1 #16 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

Kerry Pierce wrote:
wow..... That's a pretty stiff bill for a camera that had an MSRP of about $1200, IIRC. It was really fortunate that you weren't responsible for the bill and that they fixed all of your issues.

I realize that repairs for lots of things can get crazy, but still, this seems extraordinarily high considering the things that were done. AFAIK, they shouldn't have had to replace the sensor, just the AA filter or whatever is on top of it, to get rid of that scratch.

As an example, the folks at LifePixel will replace that part with an
...Show more

From what I gather, the infrared filter was pressed on hard enough to scratch the sensor underneath. Do I shop at that store anymore? Sometimes, but they will never clean anything of mine again. I was surprised that the whole sensor assembly had to be replaced.

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #17 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

NathanHamler wrote:
if i get a quote for $350, i'll use the d7000 as a boat anchor before i sink that kinda money into it....So weird that when i bought my D3, it had 250k shots on it, so i called nikon to ask what the damage would be to put a new shutter in it, IF it even failed.... and they said they'll do a basic clean and check, and if they have to replace EVERYTHING, i.e. mirror mech, shutter, af system, sensor, etc, it would be a max of $575 or something like that, but probably less.......and if they replace
...Show more

I understand your point, but it would still be worth fixing at that price. Heck - if you're serious, I'll give you a $100 for it instead of boat-anchoring!

kwoodard wrote:

Wow - seems like they'd declare it beyond economic repair at for that money...

Feb 25, 2013 at 11:51 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.1 #18 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

M635_Guy wrote:
Wow - seems like they'd declare it beyond economic repair at for that money...

That is what I thought. I even offered to take their display unit (slightly less actuation's than mine, same cosmetic condition, later production run without the oil issue). They wouldn't go for it. I was without a camera for over a month, 39 days.

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM
ozpall
• • •
p.1 #19 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

NathanHamler wrote:
...Show more

With the prices now days sure it is a waste but I did mine a year after its release, literally my warranty had expired within 2 months. But I still love it thou.

Mar 14, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #20 · d7000 AF issues repaired.

Too bad Nikon doesn't work like Sony did on a $4000 pro-sumer video camera I had. It was way out of warranty. It was 2 generations old. It was worth maybe $1000 at the time. It had developed an audio problem. They gave me a something like a $300 repair estimate on the camcorder. I told them I would call them back. Before I could call them, they called me with an alternate proposal. They would send me a brand spanking new latest model (with warranty) for the amount of the repair estimate. It didn't take me long to decide on that one.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:44 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password