Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

zesto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

I can't decide which of these two tripods to get. I'm 5'11" tall. I'm thinking the TVC-33 may be the slightly more stable of the two. I don't shoot standing in streams - well at least not so far nor on sloping hills. The tripod would be used for general indoor use for product shots with occasional landscape use.

I've seen the RRS people of different heights with tripods comparison photos but still can't make my mind up. It would be used with my BH-55 ballhead.

Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

no real world difference between either in use. both are outstanding.

in reality though, you really don't need a CF tripod to do that sort of indoor work nor actually any indoor work. my friend does a full line catalog and is head of the photo dept for a well known clothing chain out of NYC and has outlets in most major malls in the US. uses lots of Hassy and lots of Manfrotto alloy. no CF needed there for his depts. work. always manages to get the images he needs/wants.

I have a TVC33/BH55 and still use my 20 year old Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 because its generally out and ready in the corner with my old Markins M10 on it.

the one distinct advantage of the RRS is that when you are carrying it (distance) there is a 2-3 lb+ difference overall.

my kit is set up for travel all over because I do. I also don't have an assistant to work with that often.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM
zesto
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

Thanks for your reply sjms.

I've been using an older Gitzo series 3 systemic for a few years now and appreciate CF'S advantage in weight reduction and possibly lower vibrations. It is certainly better than the other five or six aluminium tripods I've owned over the last nearly four decades.

I've decided to get the 34L as the extra height may come in handy sometime down the track. Don't really need a new tripod as such but I thought I'd gift myself one as I love RRS gear.

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

that is a good thing. enjoy your gift. I just ordered a new NEC monitor that I had been procrastinating on for months. it to is sort of a gift but needed.

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:34 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

Superb monitors; you'll really enjoy the quality. I have the NEC PA271W with Spectraview II. Expensive shipped from B & H to my neck of the woods but still one of the best things I've ever bought.

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:06 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

A 4-section tripod has 50% more joints to tighten and loosen every time. The choice depends on whether that is worth saving a few inches. I prefer 3 sections on the mid to larger tripods, and 4 sections only the travel tripods where length is important.

EBH

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:27 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

That's a valid point. However, extending the fourth section may not always be necessary if the tripod is more than tall enough and it's always there if needed.

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:43 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

zesto wrote:
Superb monitors; you'll really enjoy the quality. I have the NEC PA271W with Spectraview II. Expensive shipped from B & H to my neck of the woods but still one of the best things I've ever bought.

that's what i'll have at the end of the week. it was between this an the Eizo. the Eizo actually was a touch better but lost out on the overly done automated built in calibration system. oh and the price too.

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

zesto wrote:
That's a valid point. However, extending the fourth section may not always be necessary if the tripod is more than tall enough and it's always there if needed.

and since it's "in house" most of the time you may not be doing the tube slide all that much on the other 3 sections. just fold it in and store until next needed. its a world full of options.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

We have two TVC-34Ls and I don't care what anyone else says they're rock solid with our 500 and 800mm lenses.

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:11 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

That's good to know rprouty.

I've ordered mine, although it's on back order. Hopefully won't take too long. Summer is coming to an end here and I'd like to get some shots of the sun setting over the beach across the road.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:22 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

I have the TVC-34L and am 6'1". By the time I put a 500mm on a Wimberley I normally don't extend the last section. Having said that the extra length does come in handy on uneven ground.

Fully extended the base, before you add any head, is just 4 inches short of 6 feet. Add most ballheads and you're more than likely unable to look through your viewfinder.

Based on your intended use, not sure you'd see value in the 34L.

Feb 24, 2013 at 05:56 AM
zesto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

TheBearman, thanks for the info. I'm going to try and get out and about more next summer. One advantage I see with the 34L is that it's folded length is shorter than the 33; more easily packed in suitcase.

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:47 AM
ciscopro2000
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

I went with the 34L specifically for the flexibility. Even with only 3 legs extended, it still goes to 52" which is adequate for normal shooting. I have two young kids that sometimes do school performances, so I wanted the capability to shoot photos or videos from the back of the room. So the ability to go high to 68" is great.

You will love the RRS tripod. IMHO, the look, fit, finish, and feel is unmatched. I really like the smoothness of the CF legs, the racheting angle stops, and the feel of the BIG leg locks. The thing is beautifully made and just oozes quality. I have had the Gitzo 3541ls, 2541L and still have a 3540ls. But the 34L is by far my favorite tripod.

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:57 PM
zesto
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

Thanks ciscopro2000, I've always appreciated the quality of RRS products. I really looking forward to getting the 34L.

Feb 25, 2013 at 07:20 PM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

You'll like the taller height if you're shooting something up high, you can look right in the view finder and not have to stoop down.

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:50 PM
zesto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RRS TVC-33 or 34-L

That's a good point rprouty.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password