Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Backpack Recommendations

Hybrid AWD
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Backpack Recommendations

I am looking to upgrade my current bag because I have outgrown it. I really haven't kept up with the market so I am unaware of what is out there and what would work well for me.

My gear consist of: Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 5D MKII, Canon 70-200 IS II, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 135mm, Canon 100mm Macro, (2) Canon 580 EX II and I am looking to picture up a 24-70 very soon.

I don't always carry everything with me, but there are times when I do. I do not need a slot for a laptop either.

If you know of anything off the top of your head that would work well, please let me know. Also, if there are sites worthwhile to check out, please link me to them or let me know what company I should check out. Thanks for your time.

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Backpack Recommendations

Have you browsed the Think Tank product line? I use a TT Airport Commuter for about that load, plus it has the laptop and tablet pockets that you don't need (yet). It'll also happily take a 300/2.8L or 500/4L lens, but there's less room for other stuff.

Of course, if you're looking for a back country hiking backpack, this might not be the right solution (go to REI), but for most applications, it's pretty good.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/airport-commuter.aspx

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Backpack Recommendations

For 2 bodies and 4-5 lenses, check out this list of backpacks -- it'll give you a good starting point: http://www.joereifer.com/words/2012/01/22/a-brief-statement-on-backpacks-for-hiking-with-photo-gear-from-the-society-obsessed-with-photography-backpack-perfection/

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:29 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Backpack Recommendations

Finding a suitable backpack is very difficult. I have used a Rover AW and Think Tank Airport Antidote. Neither was at all satisfactory due to the poor functionality as a backpack. The shoulder and waist straps are just not the same as a real backpack. Most important is the lack of an internal metal frame to transfer the weight to your hips. I read a post somewhere about modifying a standard Deuter 32 backpack with an F Stop internal photo insert. This works well but in the mean time I have seen positive reviews of the F-Stop line of photo backpacks. Converting the Deuter is much cheaper but not as slick.

Hope this helps

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Backpack Recommendations

Thanks for the input guys. Ive watched a ton of different videos about backpacks and everyone seems to have a different opinion. I think Dave Dugdale made a good point when he said that his review of a fitting backpack doesnt necessarily mean it will fit/feel right for you. He also went on to say that his B&H rep told him backpacks were the most returned item they have. I can definitely see that.

I really hate to order 3-4 backpacks and test them out. I hate returning items via UPS/USPS/FedEX and there is sadly no good camera supply company locally.

I did look at that TT Airport but I'm just not sure about it. I do like the fact that it can be used as a unchecked bag. That in itself is a HUGE plus for me.

As for the reason I don't need a laptop sleeve: Most of my editing is done here at home on the PC. We do have a MBP but I rarely drag that along because the battery life on it sucks (300+ cycle count).

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mitesh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Backpack Recommendations

I have an fstop tilopa with xl icu. It can easily fit the gear you have listed. Mine carries a 5d3, 7d, 70-200/2.8, and 600/4. The pack is well built and the robust harness and belt distribute the load well. I can also securely strap my tripod and gimbal to the pack. All in all, I'm very happy I went with this pack.

Feb 23, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Backpack Recommendations

I have been using a Lowepro Nature Trekker and like it. I often have 20 pounds of gear in it and the harness & hip pads make it comfortable to carry all day.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:00 AM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Backpack Recommendations

The Lowepro Pro Trekker 400 AW is great. And unlike many of the others, there is room for non-photo gear too. The laptop pouch can be removed and you can fill the space with a fleece or knee pads. It is a really wonderful pack.

Feb 23, 2013 at 06:29 AM
svopen
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Backpack Recommendations

I've been through a few backpacks and recently settled on a Gura Gear Kiboko. I was a little skeptical about the dual openings but in practice, it works really well. It is also lighter than my previous bags.

Feb 25, 2013 at 03:49 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password