Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · New Logo Feedback

kwhaley29
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Logo Feedback

I'm in the process of selecting a new logo and would welcome some feedback from fellow FM members. Do you have a favorite?

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:24 PM
ai3x
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Logo Feedback

They're all really really different. What do you want your brand to say?

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:33 PM
gazzaf1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Logo Feedback

I prefer #3. The red square could be used alone or with the complete logo. The others will be more difficult to use as water marks or other uses.

The first one is to industrial looking for me.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:48 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Logo Feedback

I like 2 & 3. Either could fit your brand IMO. The last is my 3rd pick. 1 sucks. You're not a car dealer. lol

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:52 PM
rockant
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Logo Feedback

They each give different impressions, but I think it has to come down to what image you are trying to project.

1. Looks like it is from a Tech Company and does not have an artistic feel to it.
2. Has a more Artistic feeling and I like it the best
3. Has a large impact and feels Commercial and not my style.
4. Is very subtle and does not give the impact of the others.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:58 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Logo Feedback

Yeah, 1 doesn't seem like a photographer logo to me. For some reason it makes me think of cars or something.

2 - seems kind of masculine elegant

3 - a little more edgy fun

4 - The broad curves give it a little more of a feminine feel to me.

My gut response is I like 3 but I don't know if that fits your personality/feel and the image that you want to project.

brad

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:01 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Logo Feedback

amonline wrote:
I like 2 & 3. Either could fit your brand IMO. The last is my 3rd pick. 1 sucks. You're not a car dealer. lol

Ok, I posted before I even read this that 1 makes me think of cars. Why is that? Is there some car logo that it looks similar to that I'm not recalling from my subconscious?

brad

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:12 PM
relsah85
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Logo Feedback

#3 gets my vote

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:13 PM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New Logo Feedback

If you were a BMW dealer, I'd go with #1.

Since you're a photographer, I'm choosing either #2 or #4, depending on which scribble is closer to your actual signature...

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:15 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New Logo Feedback

I love #1

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New Logo Feedback

amonline wrote:

! You sure I can't interest you in that Trucoat?

Thanks for all for your input. There are elements of the 1st logo that I really like. It's clean, modern, and has a simple design but as others have point out it might seem too commercial and cold.

The 3rd logo is the one that I've been leaning toward. Here are some other examples (slightly different, earlier version) of what it might look like in action.

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 09:41 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:34 PM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New Logo Feedback

Tony Hoffer wrote:
I love #1

Here's another example of that one.

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:38 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New Logo Feedback

I would go with 2 or 3

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:46 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · New Logo Feedback

im torn between 1 and 3. im a fan of clean, neutral identities. but i have to agree with others that it does give the impression of looking too corporate. it has good variety, thick and thin and will work well as an overlay/watermark for your photos.

I like the typography of the 3rd. Tracked out letters give it a more friendlier feel than the 1st. I do love lettering, but there's not enough line contrast to make it pop a bit more. I wish there was a bold element like what #2 does with the box.

i think a nice rounded slab serif for your initials like #1 will do away the corporate feel.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM
joshua grasso
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · New Logo Feedback

Mine is 1 and my wife who's a graphic designer liked 1 the most. I guess three looks more like a photography logo but 1 stands out as clean and modern. Both are good i guess which one fits you better. Glad you are getting a professionally designed one. You can tell the difference. You'll do grat with 1 or 3, good luck choosing!

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:00 AM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · New Logo Feedback

without knowing your brand intentions, #1 stands out to me as different, modern, clean

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:48 AM
martinezphoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · New Logo Feedback

#1 looks far more like "K N" than "K W" - the last thing you want is for your logo to create confusion.

#3 is the winner by a country mile...

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:14 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · New Logo Feedback

martinezphoto wrote:
#1 looks far more like "K N" than "K W" - the last thing you want is for your logo to create confusion.

#3 is the winner by a country mile...

You are right about the "KN" part and that's a design issue that I ran into often. I think the thing that really attracted me to #1 is that when you start to look closely at it, there are subtle design elements that make you want to really look at every part of the logo. To me it's a clever design, but ultimately I have to decide which fits best with what I want to accomplish.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments!

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · New Logo Feedback

1. Looks like it belongs to a printers or a hardware store.

2. Elegant but nothing memorable.

3. I don't mind this one at all.

4. Same as 2.

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 05:22 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:21 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · New Logo Feedback

My initial reaction is that #1 is by far the most distinctive. I look at things from the perspective of a trademark lawyer, so I have a particular bias. Among trademarks, distinctiveness is power.

The chief purpose of a trademark is to identify to consumers who the source of the goods or services is. Second to that, a trademark might -- might -- be able to convey information about brand identity or value proposition to the client on first glance, but this is a lot less common than most people think.

Numbers 2, 3, and 4 all mimic hand-signed initials, which, I'm afraid, is very common among photographers' logos. This undermines each of those options, because it makes them harder to distinguish from other photographers' logos, and thus harder for a new prospective client to remember.

By contrast, the first one has power precisely because it is unexpected. If it makes a viewer think "car," then the viewer is somewhat surprised to see that it in fact indicates "photographer."

This worries some people, but it's less problematic than you might think. Consider, for example, how often someone unfamiliar with your work might see your logo completely out of context. It's conceivable that no one will ever see your logo apart from your images or some other material that identifies you as a photographer, and even if someone does, in that instance, there's a high chance the viewer is irrelevant to you.

My question about #1 is a design question. Why did the designer separate the arm of the "k" and make it a gradient? Was that just aesthetic, or does it have some significance to your style or identity? (Just being an aesthetic choice doesn't make it wrong, but I always wonder whether elements like that are purposeful or merely fanciful.)

I'm glad to see the designer in #1 appears to intend to provide a solid along with the gradient. Gradients do not reproduce well at very small sizes or as watermarks, so you'll probably want the solid (i.e., all-white or all-black) version to use for those purposes.

I dislike #3 because it is annoying as a watermark. As a knockout (i.e., empty space for the letter knocked out of the color or white or translucent square), it occupies and obstructs too much of the image. By contrast, the bold strokes of the letters in #1 will work very well as a watermark, even if you use them without your full name underneath.

So I strongly favor #1.

There's one more thing to consider. I infer from the variety of colors that you did not indicate a color palette preference. Red is exciting, blue is cool, so you might be biased in favor of #3 just because of the respective designers' color choices. But if you aren't starting off with a specific color requirement, and if the designer of #1 can produce it with red (or orange or yellow) rather than blue, it might be interesting to see how it feels. I don't know whether that would be an improvement or not. But the industrial feel of #1 might be mitigated slightly by a different color choice.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:22 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password