Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

eninety
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

I thought this might be an interesting thread.

How did you all get your start in photography? Did you study at university? Was it just hobby turned into cash flow? Did you start something else, but found that photography was all you thought about?

I really respect Photographers, the craft & people alike -- so this is my way of reaching out to get to know you all.

Feb 22, 2013 at 01:40 PM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

Someone just did a thread like this not too long ago.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:02 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

yeah, it is was fairly recent...within the past few months.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:06 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

I went to two different schools to study cinematography/photography. I never considered any other career.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:32 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

my first experience as a paid photographer was for a national portrait studio company, before that job I had purchased my first SLR camera and started an intense self study wanting to learn all I could about how to be a good photographer

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:35 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

High School > Graphic Design Related > Advertizing & Marketing Related > E-Commerce Related > Quit > Hobby & Personal > Weddings

I should have listened to mom. I would have skipped a bunch of the boring stuff.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:14 PM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

I started as a makeup artist/stylist. I did bridal and model work for other photographers. It came really natural for me when I started shooting.

Funny, I had a photography elective in junior high and I blew it off for study hall.. go figure this is where Id be 25 years later. Should of taken that class! lol Im only 5 years in. Took till my 30's to find my career "calling". I still do makeup/styling but mainly just for my shoots. Love, love, love, shooting ladies and glaming them up.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:33 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

This question has been asked before. The gist of the responses are

"I bought a camera and started shooting then started asking for money and quit my day job."

"I bought a camera and started photographing family and friends and now I do it for extra income to subsidize the cost of buying professional cameras in addition to being a lawyer/accountant/doctor/CEO."

"I went to college to study photography and work part time at starbucks to come up with the rent."

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 03:52 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:45 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

swoop wrote:
This question has been asked before. A lot of responses are "I bought a camera and started shooting then started asking for money and quit my day job."

Sums it up for me.

I hope I don't have an answer any time soon about how my photography business ended!

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:49 PM
abadass
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

amonline wrote:
High School > Graphic Design Related > Advertizing & Marketing Related > E-Commerce Related > Quit > Hobby & Personal > Weddings

I should have listened to mom. I would have skipped a bunch of the boring stuff.

similar story with my friend. His mother asked him how was business school in SF and replied "Oh its going great". She says something like "Oh really? I always thought you interested in the arts". He says back "Yeah mom I hate it here." Then went back home and pursued graphic design as his career.

As for me, I took a black and white photography class while I was finishing up graphic design.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:18 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

amonline wrote:

abadass wrote:
similar story with my friend. His mother asked him how was business school in SF and replied "Oh its going great". She says something like "Oh really? I always thought you interested in the arts". He says back "Yeah mom I hate it here." Then went back home and pursued graphic design as his career.

My mom started telling me in 11/12th grade I should be a professional photographer and shoot weddings. 25+ years later, and here I am finally doing exactly what she said I should have. lol

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:34 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

"I went to college to study photography and work part time at starbucks to come up with the rent."
Lol Nice

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:39 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How did you get your start in professional photography?

swoop wrote:

A degree in photography is almost as lucrative as an English Literature degree.

Doug
B.F.A. (with Honors), Photography, Art Center College of Design

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:32 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.