Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

My cousin wants a camera. He has been involved in some video projects, and video is a priority. I am not much of a video shooter, so I need recommendations to pass along. His family is financially strapped, so looking for the best feature/cost ratio.

Maybe T3i since I think articulating screen will be important for him?

He really likes my NEX, but I think Canon would be a better choice for a longer term system, because who knows what Sony will do next.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:39 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

The Canon T4i has some nice features for video. With the STM lenses, it offers silent auto focus in video mode.

It also features face tracking auto focus, full time auto focus, touch screen "focus pulling", etc. Given the price differential of perhaps $100 between a T3i and a T4i, I would strongly recommend a T4i.

As first generation features, these aren't great. But they are good, and they allow me to use the T4i instead of a camcorder 99% of the time, something I would not do with the manual focus (or noisy, half press auto focus) on the T3i. They can also be very useful tools for creative effects. (they can be used to maintain focus on a static object as the camera moves, etc.)

The still mode auto focus son the T4i is also much better than the T3i (Same as the 60D on the T4i.)

Many people dislike the T4i based on paper specs. I would suggest you listen primarily to those that have used both. The T4i is something that I am quite happy to use as a former pro photog. The T3i was marginally useful for still images, but really not very good.

Best price I have seen on the T4i body only "unbundled" from extras is about $525 to $550. With the very good quality 18-135 mm STM, about $850 to $900. (That is the only non-L lens that I actually use)

Good luck!
Michael

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:12 PM
MaxPollock

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

I would get him a t2i or t3i if he needs the flippy screen. All of the rebels have the same sensors. The video will look the same coming out of them. Auto-focus for video is mainly useless.

Most video work is manual focus. Take the extra money and buy him a couple decent lens.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:23 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

Hi Michelle,

Does he need a REBEL...would a G series do okay, the G12; which I have does 720p, the newer G15 does 1080p...just an option.

1 - T2i, if a starter low budget no-frills body is workable.
2 - T3i, better high ISO performance, articulated screen, a good friend has one n luvs it, she did not find any compelling reason to upgrade to the T4i, she shoots stills/video and has near the same level of injury as I do, actually much less arm strength, the touch screen was the only thing she did like but that wasn't worth the extra buckaroos.
3 - T4i, slightly better high ISO, articulated touch LCD, less noisy and slightly faster AF; with the STM lenses, auto face detect and tracking.

He'll need an external mic, the basic Rode's are about 150, it produces the best stereo sound, there are others that are near half the cost with lesser quality. If he want's a cheap solution for 'follow focus' you can use a simple jar/lid opener. I've a few that help me focus with these still fingers...they're a few bucks and easy to put on/remove and are a dual-purpose gadget...got mine on amazon.

For editing you can't beat the Adobe Elements 11 combo, it's under 100 at Amazon; most places, and are great tools for the budding stills/video shooter; Premier is the video piece.

The T2i and T3i use a Digic 4 chip, the T41 a Digic 5...

My best,
Jerry

PS. Sent you a PM

Edited on Feb 22, 2013 at 09:04 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:40 PM
dadgummit
• •
p.1 #5 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

I would do a T3i because of the newer sensor and the articulated screen.

The t4i does have video AF but if he is looking to get into pro work he may as well learn to focus him-self.

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:59 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

I let him borrow my NEX and a MF lens for a couple of months and made him learn to use M mode and MF. Not only can he focus, he understands f-stops and shutter speed. The good thing is his school is supportive and they have purchased some nice software for him to use (he has gone to Nationals with his video projects for two years running now and his small rural school is proud of him).

I'd really like to get him started in a DSLR system, then he can start building up a glass collection. I think it's going to be a life long thing for him.

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:27 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

mco_970 wrote:
I let him borrow my NEX and a MF lens for a couple of months and made him learn to use M mode and MF. Not only can he focus, he understands f-stops and shutter speed. The good thing is his school is supportive and they have purchased some nice software for him to use (he has gone to Nationals with his video projects for two years running now and his small rural school is proud of him).

I'd really like to get him started in a DSLR system, then he can start building up a glass collection.
...Show more

You might consider a 60D instead of a REBEL...if the budget will handle it...the pentaprism vs pentamirror of the rebel viewfinder would be worth the extra expense IMHO. If you have an old canon beater body, film, digital, point-n-shoot you could call up CLP for pricing, you get 20 percent off for a trade-in, even if it's dead...it would be a refurb with a 90-day warranty...

Amazon has the 60D body only, new, going for 699...haven't checked BnH pricing lately.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

I forgot about the CLP thing. That would be a good option, I have a broken G3 sitting in a box to trade in...

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:38 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

mco_970 wrote:
I forgot about the CLP thing. That would be a good option, I have a broken G3 sitting in a box to trade in...

There's a purple hazed lcd on an A95, in a box, here as well, with my 40D aging as it is, I'm looking seriously at either a 60D or 7D to replace it. The 60D is quite appealing given my future 6D purchase, both light weight, near same control layout...an interesting two body kit

On the other hand, not for your cousin just yet, but for me, using my near dead A95 with CLP would nab me a refurbed 5D3 at about 2250...that isn't a bad price at all, it's a tough call, could I live with no interchangeable focusing screens, the WiFi...IDK but it's tempting

Perhaps by the time I'm ready to buy a 6D a refurb will show up

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 01:28 AM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:02 AM
John Mills
• •
p.1 #10 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

Maybe a proper video camera would be a better option than a stills camera with video features

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:23 AM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #11 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

John Mills wrote:
Maybe a proper video camera would be a better option than a stills camera with video features

Actually not. To match the quality of T3i you would need to get Canon C100 which is $6.5k (and no lens) :-) or Sony NEX-VG30 ($2.5k with basic 28-200mm lens).

T3i or T4i will be more then enough - he can always add MagicLantern software (for free) to squeeze more juice out of the camera :-) As for lens - anything with manual aperture and focus made for EOS mount will work - which means mostly cheaper "Chinese copies" :-) Next thing would be a stack of memory cards and batteries.

Wish him good luck

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #12 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

My son does video photography for a living. His primary camera is a 5DII with a T2I as a backup. So a T2I minimum (or T3I/T4I), but later a 5DII or up if/when he really gets serious.

The Rokinon/Samyang 24mm 1.4 and 85 1.4 (manual focus) are his most used lenses.

Steve

Feb 23, 2013 at 04:24 AM
Milezero00

p.1 #13 · Which Rebel for 17 y.o. interested in video?

The T4i is the way to go.

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password