Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

M Lucca wrote:
Wow you are giving me too much credit. Now if I can only somehow take a cut from Canon sales claiming I have such influence!

Stating the obvious is not trolling.

I gave you no credit and didn't say you were successful. "Obvious" is a nebulous term when looking through the eyes others. Rather than "stating the obvious", why not spend your time helping Canon shooters in need of help.

Actually, I'm having a bad day. I really don't care or think about your Nikon posts. Ignore my comments and have a good day.

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:27 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

The D600 is a brilliant camera for its price, and surely changed the game with regards to camera prices and technology. Now the dust issue is not a big deal if only Nikon addressed the problem with a pro-customer attitude. That's what upset me from the moment I bought the D600, and it still does, and please don't give me that cliche that all Japanese companies have that non-apologetic attitude, that's not accurate.

I bought a used Fuji X10 and I found out it has the bulb issue. Guess what, Fujifilm replaced the sensor without a receipt and even though the camera was used. They also covered all shipping and insurance cost, no questions asked. That explains why I immediately bought a Fuji X100 after selling my X10.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy my D600 and it never seizes to amaze. The problem with how we discuss these issues is that we take it too personal.

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:33 PM
lottel

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

I am a potential D600 buyer but kindda upset by this. For those who own a D600, is the dust a manufacturing defect? Or does dust accummulate due to areas in a D600 body that is sealed improperly?

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

lottel wrote:
I am a potential D600 buyer but kindda upset by this. For those who own a D600, is the dust a manufacturing defect? Or does dust accummulate due to areas in a D600 body that is sealed improperly?

The issue is more excess oil that "splatters" after the shutter is fired off for the first several times. After the spots are cleaned off after a couple hundred frames the issue reportedly goes away. I have yet to experience any of the issues myself and I bought mine back in November. I switched from a 5D which is a well know dust magnet. I had dust on my sensor as well as a few bunnies I saw everytime I held it to my eye. The D600 has been a vast improvement in my experience, but, its all relative.

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:15 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

M Lucca wrote:
Frig. I just realized I have a stalker. Creepy.

I assume you are referring to me as a stalker. Two responses to your posts does not a stalker make. Please grow-up and hide my posts as I'm going to hide yours.

Feb 24, 2013 at 04:51 AM
chez
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Hardcore wrote:
My d600 had a lot of crap on the sensor. Took me all of 3 minutes to get it sparkling clean. Not saying that the oil/dust is justified, but this is hardly a show stopper imo.

The biggest issue I see is the spots can appear at any time. So you are out on a shoot and right at the start, the spots appear. You complete the shoot, say 750 images and now you have a ton of photoshopping to do to clean them up. Yeh, cleaning the sensor isn't that hard...not knowing when the oil decides to splatter is a pain.

With dust, at least you can take measures to minimize it during a shoot....what can you do regarding the oil spots?

Feb 24, 2013 at 09:45 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Too little too late. I suppose they'll learn the hard way.

On current form I predict the next major issue will be that the D7100 only comes with an EF mount

Cheers
Leigh

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:51 AM
Uzay
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

LMT1972 wrote:
Too little too late. I suppose they'll learn the hard way.

On current form I predict the next major issue will be that the D7100 only comes with an EF mount

Cheers
Leigh

Feb 25, 2013 at 05:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mshi
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Some early adopters got agitated, which manifested on many online forum discussions. Nikon wished its indifference would have make the noise disappear quickly. It seems like that wishful thinking didn't quite pan out. Now what? Bigger rebates to move the thing that is marketed to non-professional users?

Feb 25, 2013 at 08:01 PM
kan_Ray

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Thanks for information~

Feb 26, 2013 at 01:06 AM
Lan11
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Here is a succinct opinion of the Nikon announcement: http://www.bythom.com/
I expect fan boys will call it trolling.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

He's pretty much spot on on the announcement. It's a deflection, not a direct response. However, taking it a bit further, reading more of the postings, I'd suggest that if one looks at the discussions surrounding the D7100 announcement (aside from questions over the buffer, D300s body style features/controls), after the D600 "dust," the D800 af, D7000 dust - and to be fair, other brands have had initial quality issues as well, there are no small number of people suggesting that they are willing to wait to see what early adopter QC problems may arise before they jump to a camera which is destined to be very popular.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:01 AM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Nikon is probably getting fed up with all these moanings so they're hitting back with "impact damage". Great idea! let's teach these people some lesson. They're gonna complain anyways, so might as well bill them for it.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:56 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Craig Gillette wrote:
and to be fair, other brands have had initial quality issues as well, there are no small number of people suggesting that they are willing to wait to see what early adopter QC problems may arise before they jump to a camera which is destined to be very popular.

True - look at the 5D2s' AF took 4 years for a fix for that

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:16 AM
DavidWEGS
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

lottel wrote:

IMO, its not a big deal. I shot with 5d's for a few years and they had dust to the max. But, I learned to clean a sensor with care and it stopped being much of an issue.

the d600 I have had dust/oil or whatever, but after I cleaned it for the first time, it seems to have largely stayed away. YMMV.

Mar 03, 2013 at 10:10 PM
NickHenderson
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Got about 2500 clicks on my D600. I bought it the first week it came out. I wet-cleaned the sensor about 1500 clicks, and used an air rocket blaster yesterday on the mirror and sensor, but still look at the upper left frame:

Probably sending it in.

Apr 08, 2013 at 01:56 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password