New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

The timing of this piece of Press Release makes me wonder whether or not D7100 will suffer the same fate.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:23 PM
pixelpix
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

"in some rare cases" .... haha, that's laughable ! It's a piss-poor response to a pretty major problem.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:11 PM
lovemygsp

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

M Lucca wrote:
So is it oil or dust or internal debris?

Dust can be easily blown out. But oil can be smeared around. Yuck!

Its definitely oil. On the last D600 I returned I wrote on the box with a permanent marker in huge letters "OIL ON SENSOR".

My replacement still has spots but only a handful compared to the tons on the old one.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:20 PM
screwdriver
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

you send it in - they service it but theymight bill you for more work due to impact damage .

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:40 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Wow. Some pretty strong response towards this Nikon admission over at Nikonrumours. And it's not the "feel good" kind either.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/22/nikon-issues-official-statement-on-the-d6000-dustoil-issue.aspx/

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:44 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Seemingly, not every D600 buyer is an absolute Fanboy there.

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:02 PM
PIOK
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

I own 2 - D600 bodys... Oil , dust ? OMG i guess this is my last Nikon camera ever......and in the same time after they keep my D700 5 weeks for focus repair ,,,,Sorry i cant keep spending money for product like this... Yes D600 takes great photos, but i think i will give a try Canon next time

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:18 PM
pixelpix
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

I am still waiting to see if they mention the random manual exposure issue.... I guess it's not wide spread enough, or perhaps even gone unnoticed by the program mode shooters who make up the majority of users.

Feb 22, 2013 at 08:50 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

PIOK wrote:
I own 2 - D600 bodys... Oil , dust ? OMG i guess this is my last Nikon camera ever......and in the same time after they keep my D700 5 weeks for focus repair ,,,,Sorry i cant keep spending money for product like this... Yes D600 takes great photos, but i think i will give a try Canon next time

There is no perfect camera. Never was and never will be. My best friend's new 5DIII just went back to Canon Norfolk for oil problems.

I have 2 D-700's. One got wet and went back to El Segundo last year and came back in 3 weeks good as new. My other has been flawless so far (knock on wood). Both purchased new in 2008!

Anything that man builds is subject to failure - and to expect any different is foolish.

That being said, I've seen too many QC complaints from both Nikon and Canon. That troubles me. These cameras should come out of QC ready to roll, not ready to roll back for warranty service.

Lets face it - they aren't box Brownie's nor are they priced like a Brownie

Feb 22, 2013 at 09:25 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

pixelpix wrote:
I am still waiting to see if they mention the random manual exposure issue.... I guess it's not wide spread enough, or perhaps even gone unnoticed by the program mode shooters who make up the majority of users.

I haven't heard of nor experienced an issue with manual exposure and I shoot in manual a lot. What's the issue that some are having?

Brad

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:30 AM
pixelpix
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Several consecutive manual exposures of the same same settings would produce different results, with some images being overexposed by up to a stop.

It was mentioned here some time back and then I experienced it myself.... that and the fact that my images had oil spots all over them, led me to purchase a 6D. I was in love with the D600 sensor too, but thankfully it turns out that the 6D sensor is very D600 like with clean files and heaps of DR.

Feb 23, 2013 at 02:36 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Dust spots, oil spots, and AF problems of the D 600 were some of the reasons I chose to buy a used D 300s last week. I have not tested to see if it has any dust yet. Could someone tell me how to do that. Do you take a picture of the sky with the aperture closed down to f/22? The camera had about 67,000 shutter actuations on it, but it looks brand new otherwise. If they had released news of the D 7100 before I ordered, I may have gotten that.
My older camera is a D 80 and I don't know if the mirror could even be locked up to clean the filter in front of the sensor. It was about 5 years old.

Feb 23, 2013 at 07:55 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

My d600 had a lot of crap on the sensor. Took me all of 3 minutes to get it sparkling clean. Not saying that the oil/dust is justified, but this is hardly a show stopper imo.

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:19 AM
Stilltime
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

My D600 has a rather large chunk of dust, as well as being sprinkled with smaller flakes. I just assume this is a good opportunity for me to learn how to do a proper wet clean.

Regarding oil on the sensor: does this pose any issue of damaging the sensor itself? I have NO idea how they are manufactured or what they actually comprise of but it seems that a liquid substance on an electrical item would be a big no-no.

Regardless, I need to find a good wet cleaning kit soon and clean the sensor...

Chris C.

Feb 23, 2013 at 08:44 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Nikon sensei say: More oil = longer shutter life!

Feb 23, 2013 at 09:43 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Wow, Nikon is just stating the obvious all this time later. Is the cleaning free?

EBH

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

ckcarr wrote:
Nikon sensei say: More oil = longer shutter life!

+1

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:27 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

M Lucca wrote:
Wow. Some pretty strong response towards this Nikon admission over at Nikonrumours. And it's not the "feel good" kind either.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/22/nikon-issues-official-statement-on-the-d6000-dustoil-issue.aspx/

Exactly why does a Canon shooter pop-up criticizing Nikon service and equipment rather regularly? Is this your community service getting Nikon shooters to switch systems? I would give your views consideration if I thought they were genuine. I believe you are the prototype of a Troll.

Here is another wonderful contribution to Nikon world: "Yup. But you get other fun stuff like oil and dust. Maybe we should have nicknames like ol' Grease Shutter D600 and Left Eye Blind D800. "

Pick a Nikon post from you and you get the snide comments. Maybe somebody can review your posts and find a helpful post, other than switching to Canon.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

I am a potential D600 buyer who is partly scared away by this. Personally the response from Nikon is disappointing for me. In their "admission" they have pretty much denied that there is anything wrong and have made it clear that there is going to be no permanent fix.

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:38 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

James R wrote:
Exactly why does a Canon shooter pop-up criticizing Nikon service and equipment rather regularly? Is this your community service getting Nikon shooters to switch systems? I would give your views consideration if I thought they were genuine. I believe you are the prototype of a Troll.

Here is another wonderful contribution to Nikon world: "Yup. But you get other fun stuff like oil and dust. Maybe we should have nicknames like ol' Grease Shutter D600 and Left Eye Blind D800. "

Pick a Nikon post from you and you get the snide comments. Maybe somebody can review your posts and
...Show more

Wow you are giving me too much credit. Now if I can only somehow take a cut from Canon sales claiming I have such influence!

Stating the obvious is not trolling.

Frig. I just realized I have a stalker. Creepy.

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 02:44 PM · View previous versions

Feb 23, 2013 at 02:10 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.