Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue
From Nikon:
It has come to our attention that, in some rare cases, they may be reflected noticeably in images and removal may be difficult using normal measures. Therefore, Nikon is informing users of a service to reduce this issue.

Resolution: As a first step, please follow the guidance from the D600 User's Manual (pages 301-305) related to the Clean Image Sensor function and manual cleaning using a blower bulb.

If these measures do not remove all dust particles and you are still experiencing problems, then please consult your nearest Nikon service center. The technicians will examine the camera thoroughly, and service it as needed.

Read the entire Official Statement

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:39 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/22/nikon-issues-official-statement-on-the-d6000-dustoil-issue.aspx/

Not much but at least they didn't keep ignoring I guess.

brad

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Yang Ye
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

so basically what Nikon said is: "clean it yourself"

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:47 PM
aj1986

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Yang Ye wrote:

Not really. It seems like they are saying the opposite. A blower is pretty simple, and if the sensor needs to be cleaned, bring it in.

Either way, I agree with the ethos of the statement, even if it is too late. If you have this problem, deal with it, don't whine about it on the internet.

If you buy this camera, you know what you're getting into.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:02 PM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Yang Ye wrote:

So basically you didn't read the statement.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:20 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Good for them. I see it as a very nice move to publicly acknowledge the problem.

Nothing a wet swab won't take care of, though. For the less inclined to cleaning, bring it in.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:27 PM
lovemygsp

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Well, thats better than nothing I suppose. Its about time.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:27 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Guari wrote:
Good for them. I see it as a very nice move to publicly acknowledge the problem.

Nothing a wet swab won't take care of, though. For the less inclined to cleaning, bring it in.

The only problem is that from all accounts it takes a very long time to get a camera serviced by Nikon. Fortunately I have had no problem doing my own wet cleaning.

brad

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:39 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

A long time ago I read an article by Moose Peterson on cleaning his sensors. He does it often, not just due to dust, but other contaminants that start degrading image quality. Kind of like the film on the interior of a car window. So, he just does it.

So, ever since, I spent the time learning how to clean sensors properly, and also making it a routine once a month. Just to keep my gear immaculate, inside and out.

So, none of this stuff fazes me. I still remember the big deal with the D60 and the new dust removal system...

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:43 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

"IF" you owned the camera I'm sure you'd feel a lot different... I own one of the early ones and please I've been shooting for years with D3x/D700/D800/D7K and cleaned my 5D all the time. That was dust I induced from regular use, this is at another level. it's a tepid response but a response at least.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

I do own the camera.
(Reason people should fill out their profiles...)

But honestly, mine has not been that bad either.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:08 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Mine was really bad after about 3500 shots. I cleaned it and I haven't done a "check" since then but at least I haven't noticed visible spots on my normal shooting. I shoot mostly wider apertures and last time I didn't notice I had the spots until I went to shoot an evening urban landscape at a smaller aperture. It was unusable really or at least it would have required a whole heckuva lot of healing. I could also see spots in bokeh highlights. I need to check it regularly though so it doesn't show up at an inopportune time.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:33 PM
richuwo11

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

ckcarr wrote:
I do own the camera.
(Reason people should fill out their profiles...)

But honestly, mine has not been that bad either.

+1

I have almost 3000 shots on mine and I have one "larger" sized spot in the upper left and 2 really tiny dots nearby. It has not yet affected any of my shots and haven't had to remove any spots in post. I had a harder time keeping my D7000 clean which seemed to attract a ridiculous amount of dust for some reason.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:07 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

Fred Miranda wrote:
If these measures do not remove all dust particles and you are still experiencing problems, then please consult your nearest Nikon service center. The technicians will examine the camera thoroughly, and service it as needed.

Sit on it for 3 weeks and then try and bill you for it if my experience with nikon UK is anything to go by.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:10 PM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

They're not acknowledging the problem, they're saying it's due to "natural" causes:

Some D600 users have reported the appearance of random spots on their images which is generally attributed to the natural accumulation of dust. While understanding that dust will occur over time, and steps may be taken to reduce the occurrence, the complete elimination of these dust spots may sometimes be difficult.

Yet it's been demonstrated that the debris is coming from inside the body.

Feb 22, 2013 at 06:34 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

So is it oil or dust or internal debris?

Dust can be easily blown out. But oil can be smeared around. Yuck!

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:10 PM
Yang Ye
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

aj1986 wrote:
Not really. It seems like they are saying the opposite. A blower is pretty simple, and if the sensor needs to be cleaned, bring it in.

Either way, I agree with the ethos of the statement, even if it is too late. If you have this problem, deal with it, don't whine about it on the internet.

If you buy this camera, you know what you're getting into.

Wait a minute, how is your "deal with it" the OPPOSITE of my interpretation? I know they are not exactly the same but they are certainly not the opposite, are they?

As many ppl have already mentioned, "bring it in" usually means giving up your camera for a certain period of time. And this has to be done repeatedly every a couple of thousand shots? Give me a break. I would imagine more ppl cleaning the sensor themselves than sending it to Nikon.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

no fix solution. it claims if you can blow it, you can send it to us and we will do it for you.

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

It took them MONTHS to come up with, "We've noticed some D600 sensors gets unusually dirty. If yours does, try cleaning it. If you can't, send it to us and we'll clean it."

Nikon service is a joke. That would've been a somewhat useful statement to release, like, the week the camera came out.

After this much time, I opened this thread expecting to read that they'd corrected the design flaw for all future D600 production.

Edited on Feb 23, 2013 at 10:37 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:40 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon Releases Official Statement on D600 Dust Issue

What about it working w/ Pocket Wizard triggers- is there a fix for that yet?

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:55 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password