Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Dodgeball and Wedding Photography

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Dodgeball and Wedding Photography

My high school hosted a dodgeball tournament yesterday. It was really fun (and funny). I was watching the teams play and something struck me. The game consists of two teams of five (one on each side) and there are five balls on the court. As a player gets hit by the ball, they are out of the game.

I was particularly interested in the strategy used when one team had more players than the other. I noticed two strategies being used in this situation. STRATEGY A: Teams would wait to gather multiple balls and then target one player from the other team and throw multiple balls at that player. STRATEGY B: Teams would not wait for an imbalance of balls but instead would randomly throw balls at random players.

It seemed to me that teams that used STRATEGY A were more successful than those that used STRATEGY B. What I found particularly interesting was that it was there for everyone to see. Dodgeball is not a game that teams practice for months before the tournament. But some teams seemed to have a pointed strategy while others had a random strategy. It was interesting to see that the teams using STRATEGY B could not see what other teams were doing and adapt that strategy in hopes of winning. I could argue that some of the teams using STRATEGY B were actually more talented than the teams using STRATEGY A.

The wedding industry is a bit like dodgeball. It seems to me that the more 'successful' (define that as you wish) photographers seem to follow STRATEGY A. They collect a lot of information/techniques, identify a target, and execute a specific vision. We also have photographers that seem to employ STRATEGY B. They get a new piece of information and they throw it out there...then they learn a new technique and they throw that out there. They seem to do this without regard to the bigger picture.

I think each strategy can work, but I also think its beneficial for the photographer and client to know where they are going.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:06 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Dodgeball and Wedding Photography

Or, this could all be simplified into: Someone with a plan has a better chance of accomplishing their goal than someone without a plan.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:11 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Dodgeball and Wedding Photography

True, Joey. Seems so simple, right? You would think that the kids in the dodgeball could clearly see that a planned attack is better than a random attack, right? You would think that with as much information that gets spread here that photographers would see the same writing on the wall, right? I guess that leads to a question, why arent more people forming a plan?

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:39 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Dodgeball and Wedding Photography

It underscores that "being good" is rarely as successful as being purposeful. The random-tactic folks may be better athletes and better at the mechanics of the game. But they'll get beaten by a more purposeful strategy. Just like a great photographer needs a focused brand/value-proposition and communication plan to be successful. Just being great rarely gets you are far as your potential would indicate.

- trr

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Dodgeball and Wedding Photography

Todd, I actually thought about your "Sexy Business" workshop as I was watching dodgeball yesterday. From what I understand about your workshop (from people who I know that have taken it), you help people get a pointed strategy. You would grab those random ball throwers and tell them, "STOP!".

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:17 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Dodgeball and Wedding Photography

Basically.

I like purposeful energy. Flailing around throwing shit at the wall and hoping something sticks is great for learning but it is hard to sell and difficult to maintain over time without burnout. Strategies (particularly meaningful, purposeful ones) are a win-win for everyone involved (photographer and client).

- trr

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:24 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Dodgeball and Wedding Photography

Chuck wrote:
My high school hosted a dodgeball tournament yesterday. ... I was watching the teams play and something struck me.

Good one.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:40 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password