FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Older couple Bride and Groom

mgauthierphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Older couple Bride and Groom

So, I have a wedding coming up with a couple in their 50's. I've always dealt with young couples in their 20's who are vibrant and always willing to do whatever to get a good shot. Anything I should look out for or any advice on how to make the best product for them? I'm honored they have asked me, but don't want to jump into it thinking it'll be like any other wedding that I've photographed. Some examples and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

-MG

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:32 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Older couple Bride and Groom

Have you talked with them about what exactly they want?
We shot a wedding a couple years ago for a couple in their late 50s. Small ceremony in the home, candle lit, little bit of singing... it was pretty amazing. After I did only a couple shots of them as "portraits" and it was more than enough.
Once you find out what they are expecting then you can make a plan. We just tried to stay out of the way and capture real moments.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:06 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Older couple Bride and Groom

Once you get to the requisite "jumping shot", they might not jump quite as high as you're used to so may need to adjust your timing on the shutter release.

Feb 22, 2013 at 02:42 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Older couple Bride and Groom

Just treat them like human beings, how you would any other client.

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:09 AM
Mitch W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Older couple Bride and Groom

I've worked with "old" people in their 20s and "young" people in their 60s. Everyone is different.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Older couple Bride and Groom

I've shot quite a few weddings of couples who were 60+. Being in a destination area, we get a lot of small, family only weddings, where the couple is blending a family and has a few more years under their belts than the standard first marriages.

Just shoot them like you would anyone else. Keep in mind that with older couples, maturity lends itself to caring deeply about the people involved. So they will really look forward to images of the guests and family, especially elderly relatives. Young people care about this too of course, but not quite to the level that I've seen older couples care.

Here's an example and I think you'll see that I basically just shot them like anyone else.
http://candicekphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013-02-22_0003.jpg
http://candicekphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013-02-22_0004.jpg
http://candicekphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013-02-22_0002.jpg
http://candicekphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013-02-22_0001.jpg

Feb 22, 2013 at 12:25 PM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Older couple Bride and Groom

Thanks for the examples, ckhagen. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I never intended to not TREAT them like any other couple or wedding let alone human beings lol. Not really sure why I need to clarify that, but thanks anyways. I was looking for what to expect with the atmosphere and expectations of the couple. Thanks again for the input you guys!

Feb 22, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Older couple Bride and Groom

My impression is that more mature couples tend to appreciate artistic images more than 20-somethings, who are more likely to bring a "I just 110% candid images" mindset.

My impression, anyway...

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:24 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Older couple Bride and Groom

loving those beach pics.... one of these days I will do a couple session on the beach.... I would SO love that (and I mean being IN the pics)

Feb 22, 2013 at 07:30 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Older couple Bride and Groom

Talk really loudl -- I SAID, TALK REALLY LOUDLY WHEN INTERACTING WITH THEM, TO BE SURE THEY CAN HEAR YOU. AND BE SURE YOU HAVE AN EXTRA CANE OR WALKER HANDY IN YOUR EMERGENCY KIT.

More mature clients may be less energetic or effusive, but may also be more patient. They may have a better idea what they want, and it may involve less frenetic exertion on your part, but they may also be more willing to allow you to direct them where doing so is appropriate and consistent with their goals.

One prediction I'm reasonably confident making: they'll be less concerned (and impressed) with gimmicks like backlit-kissing-in-the-rain shots, and more impressed with a calm and confident ability to document and produce classic-value images. You'll be rewarded for investigating and capturing relationships as well as individual personalities.

I suspect you will really enjoy this wedding.

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Older couple Bride and Groom

Thanks, Ian. I suspect that I will!

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:19 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Older couple Bride and Groom

mgauthierphoto wrote:
Thanks for the examples, ckhagen. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I never intended to not TREAT them like any other couple or wedding let alone human beings lol. Not really sure why I need to clarify that, but thanks anyways....

Because you simply have a conversation with them to learn about their personalities and wants. Your question was as if everyone younger is the same and everyone older is the same.

Feb 23, 2013 at 05:35 PM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Older couple Bride and Groom

So far in my minimal experience of 8 weddings solo, that's exactly how it's been.

Feb 24, 2013 at 01:47 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.