Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

burningheart
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

She must be an old school shooter. I noticed that the lens is set to M for manual focusing.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:28 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

For me, it is my ongoing infatuation with "soft" toned images, and the strange gear used to achieve this.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I like the razor sharp isolation effect also, thus my 200/1.8L
I am also a huge gear junkie, I am totally addicted to ALL photographic related gear.
I love my 50/1.0L, it fits in with both of my "flaws".

alexdi wrote:
What's the appeal of this lens? It's impractical to use, slow to focus, and the image quality outside of f/1 pales relative to every other Canon 50mm. For subject isolation, the 85/1.2 is even more entertaining at half the cost.

Feb 22, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

alundeb -- Thanks for the link to that battle of the 50s! I remember that when it came out. It was one of the first demonstrations that made me see why people would be attracted to the 1.0L (and the 1.2L). Center sharpness rivals or surpasses any of those other lenses. And even its corner performance is better than a few, and even ties the Zeiss ZE 50 macro for corner and edge.

I seem to recall seeing another comparison where the 1.0L was actually the sharpest lens overall.

If I had the money, I'd own one too. And this one looks very nice -- I'd certainly buy it after asking a few more questions and looking at a few more example photos.

Like buggz2k, I generally like super sharp images, but something about the dreaminess of the 50mm 1.2L (and even more so the 1.0L) is in a world of its own, especially when you consider you get good AF as well.

This comparison of the 50s also confirms another point I've found; the "nifty 50" should more accurately be called the "iffy 50". I found the same poor performance, especially at and near wide open, but carrying on throughout the frame and throughout the aperture range. There must be a few decent ones out there, but mine was exactly like this one: very poor IQ. I can't understand people raving about what an outstanding lens it is.

I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing Canon would re-issue an updated version of the 50mm 1.0L!

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:07 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

burningheart wrote:
She must be an old school shooter. I noticed that the lens is set to M for manual focusing.

Well observed, Robert. Alternatively, that might tell us how well she's checked the lens out.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:10 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

Gunzorro, that comparison is well executed and the results also mirror my experience with the lenses I have tried. It deserves better than being forgotten in the archives :-)

One more thing. I only buy 50/1.0 lenses from Canadians. They are the only ones who are tough enough to live with the loss

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:18 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

alundeb wrote:
One more thing. I only buy 50/1.0 lenses from Canadians. They are the only ones who are tough enough to live with the loss

Do not remind me of that, young man.........having spent my entire working life in the field of nuclear power, it is very difficult to be left with no redundancy of a critically valued asset.

Feb 22, 2013 at 04:30 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

PetKal wrote:
Do not remind me of that, young man.........having spent my entire working life in the field of nuclear power, it is very difficult to be left with no redundancy of a critically valued asset.

So why sold the BU one, Sir

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:05 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

mttran wrote:
So why sold the BU one, Sir

My wife wouldn't buy me any more gears until I sold my backup lenses.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:09 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

PetKal wrote:
My wife wouldn't buy me any more gears until I sold my backup lenses.

Down to Dual from Triple redundancy set is still not bad, Sir

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
SLD
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

what's highest price one should pay for it? I may bid for it...

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

SLD wrote:
what's highest price one should pay for it? I may bid for it...

Lide, I wouldn't go over $2,000.

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:17 AM
SLD
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

PetKal wrote:
Lide, I wouldn't go over $2,000.

Ya, that's very reasonable, I was think to bid for $3000 or so..
I will keep my eyes on it, but not going over $2k

But why I am buying it, I even haven't touched my gears for months

thx

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:23 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

SLD wrote:
Ya, that's very reasonable, I was think to bid for $3000 or so..
I will keep my eyes on it, but not going over $2k

But why I am buying it, I even haven't touched my gears for months

thx

Actually, you should try to confirm with her first that the lens can MF and AF. If you can not confirm that, then I wouldn't bid on it at all.

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:26 AM
SLD
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

50/1.0 is the same as 85/1.2 which is driving by wire for focusing, right? I am not sure if the seller knows how to do iy , but the seller did say it works with his/her T3i....

I will wait until near its ending and see how it goes..

Thanks !

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:32 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

Yes, it is the same idea, but if AF doesn't work right, that lens would be practically worthless, because you are not likely to find anyone who could fix it.

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:36 AM
SLD
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

PetKal wrote:
Yes, it is the same idea, but if AF doesn't work right, that lens would be practically worthless, because you are not likely to find anyone who could fix it.

Feb 23, 2013 at 01:38 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

Here's another one that looks suspicious, possibly a hacked account.

There's an asinine statement in the description: " It's not a grey market lens". Right, even if it mattered, they'd surely know that "vital" piece of information for a lens made in 1989.
Allegedly the lens was "just serviced and it passed all tests" . Serviced by whom, I wonder ?

The bottom line is, if you try to get 50 f/1.0 from an eBay seller, you will likely either pay too much for it, in the best case, or get scammed, in the worst case. However, one might also get lucky here and there, with reputable sellers such as Henry's Camera, KEH or Hunt's, as long as they allow returns.

Feb 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM
GoGo
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

I could really use one of these beauties, but every time I try to buy one I just get fed up!

The demand is so high that the prices are way over what I would be willing to pay for a very old lens that experience has taught me will fail at some point.

For the making of these type of images, I think the smart move is to buy an M9 with a Noctilux.

But hey that's just my opinion.

Feb 23, 2013 at 03:46 PM
campyone
• •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

I'd check his feedback carefully. I just skimmed the first 7 or 8 but they were all for him as a buyer, there weren't any (in that small number) for him as a seller. While it's nice that he apparently pays promptly, I'd also like to know that when he sells equipment he describes it accurately, ships promptly, etc.

If I was otherwise comfortable I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing the lens first. From what I've read recently ebay/Pay Pal seem to have become far more favorable to buyers than to sellers. As I understand it about all you need to do to get your money back is claim that the item wasn't as described. And that's apparently true whether the lens was sold "as is" or not (if someone has experience with this and thinks it's wrong please correct me, I haven't tried to get a refund, I'm basing this on what I've read from others).

I haven't bought a lot on ebay but I've bought maybe 8 or 10 items over the years. I've never had a problem with anything as long as the buyer had 100% perfect feedback on a large number of sales.

If you do end up bidding by all means use one of the sniping services so you get your bid in during the last couple seconds of the auction. No reason to bid earlier than that and give others a price to beat by a few dollars. That also helps you not get caught up in "auction fever" since you can submit your maximum price as your bid well in advance of the closing date and then forget about it.

Bottom line to me is "how good a deal is it?" If it were me I wouldn't take the risk to just save like $100 over what I'd pay from a known seller like B&H, Adorama, et al. I'd expect to save at least $200 for the inevitable risks involved no matter how minimal they may be.

Feb 23, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Potential for a good 50 f/1.0L deal ?

I would not take it even if I could afford it if there is no chance to held it in my hands and test it on my body. Here in germany it is easy. You drive 300 miles maximum to any place.
And I would do it if I would look for this lense.

Ralph

Feb 23, 2013 at 04:58 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password